Lexmark X1160

I have a Lexmark X1160 printer and it all worked well until a week ago. I
refilled a no. 27 colour cartridge and installed it. Next day, I discovered
it leaked ink onto the metal contact plates in the colour cartridge
compartment. Now the printer refuses to print colour. What should I do?

Cheers,

gooey

gooey <*@*.*> wrote in news:Xns968D7B98FB65BX@62.253.162.205:

> I have a Lexmark X1160 printer and it all worked well until a week
> ago. I refilled a no. 27 colour cartridge and installed it. Next day,
> I discovered it leaked ink onto the metal contact plates in the colour
> cartridge compartment. Now the printer refuses to print colour. What
> should I do?

I used to fill Lexmark cartridges and there was never any requirement to
seal the fill hole after. The only rule was NEVER to put a leaking
cartridge (HPs and Lexmarks leak slightly during the process of
pressurization) into a printer. What do you do now? If you can access
the "messed up" area, clean it, see what happens. Then if "funeral
arrangements" aren't necessary for your printer, you've dodged a bullet.
:) -LBW

shooter

Depends if the spilt ink has damaged the contacts in the printer, with the
printer switched off and unplugged get an old tooth brush and have tissue
below it and gently brush the contacts with warm water, just a little do not
spill it all over. Then clean the contacts on the cart with damp tissue,
wait until all is dry, I would give it a quick blow with an hair dryer set
to warm. then reset the carts in the software and see it prints.

"Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> Depends if the spilt ink has damaged the contacts in the printer, with
> the printer switched off and unplugged get an old tooth brush and have
> tissue below it and gently brush the contacts with warm water, just a
> little do not spill it all over. Then clean the contacts on the cart
> with damp tissue, wait until all is dry, I would give it a quick blow
> with an hair dryer set to warm. then reset the carts in the software
> and see it prints.
>
> "gooey" <*@*.*> wrote in message
>> I have a Lexmark X1160 printer and it all worked well until a week
>> ago. I refilled a no. 27 colour cartridge and installed it. Next day,
> discovered
>> it leaked ink onto the metal contact plates in the colour cartridge
>> compartment. Now the printer refuses to print colour. What should I
>> do?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> gooey

I've already tried cleaning the contacts (both dry and wet methods) but
to no avail. The ink seems to be very resistant and it leaves the contact
plates darker than normal (comparing to the fully-functioning and clean
bw cartridge one). Is the ink on the contacts the problem?

shooter

It's very hard to say without seeing the machine. The contacts should be
bright and brass looking. What have you used to clean them?? I would try a
spray of clear Windolean (must be clear in a spray bottle) lean the printer
backwards and dab the liquid on to the contacts knowing the Ph of lexmark
ink it should remove what's on the surface of the contact. I am of course
talking about the contacts in the cart bay on the printer. From what you are
saying you must have spilt quite an amount of ink into the printer. I can't
for the life in me see how a cart can leak in that fashion. Now if you had
the cart in the printer there is every chance that the ink has affected the
contact strip on the cart so that will need cleaning. If memory serves me
correct the refill should not be any more that 6ml each color to re-fill a
cart and most likely much less if all colours are not used.

> It's very hard to say without seeing the machine. The contacts should
> be bright and brass looking. What have you used to clean them?? I
> would try a spray of clear Windolean (must be clear in a spray bottle)
> lean the printer backwards and dab the liquid on to the contacts
> knowing the Ph of lexmark ink it should remove what's on the surface
> of the contact. I am of course talking about the contacts in the cart
> bay on the printer. From what you are saying you must have spilt quite
> an amount of ink into the printer. I can't for the life in me see how
> a cart can leak in that fashion. Now if you had the cart in the
> printer there is every chance that the ink has affected the contact
> strip on the cart so that will need cleaning. If memory serves me
> correct the refill should not be any more that 6ml each color to
> re-fill a cart and most likely much less if all colours are not used.
>

> "gooey" <*@*.*> wrote in message
>> "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>> > Depends if the spilt ink has damaged the contacts in the printer,
>> > with the printer switched off and unplugged get an old tooth brush
>> > and have tissue below it and gently brush the contacts with warm
>> > water, just a little do not spill it all over. Then clean the
>> > contacts on the cart with damp tissue, wait until all is dry, I
>> > would give it a quick blow with an hair dryer set to warm. then
>> > reset the carts in the software and see it prints.
>> >
>> > "gooey" <*@*.*> wrote in message
>> > discovered

>> I've already tried cleaning the contacts (both dry and wet methods)
>> but to no avail. The ink seems to be very resistant and it leaves the
>> contact plates darker than normal (comparing to the fully-functioning
>> and clean bw cartridge one). Is the ink on the contacts the problem?

I have tried to remove it using cleaning alcohol. Also, it's the refill
ink that is spilt, not the original lexmark int.

shooter

Windowlean is still your best bet. Use a piece of kitchen towel about 3mm
thick cut to the size of the contact area lean the machine so the towel will
not fall, then off the machine soak the towel with windolean and place over
the contacts for a few hours, if the windowlean dries out soak it again and
leave overnight. Prior to doing this, place a very small amount, a drop or
so of the ink used in a container and squirt windolean on it, if it
dissolves the ink it may over a number of hours remove the coating off the
contacts of the printer and cart.