HD TV as a monitor

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi all.

I'm going to get a 56" HDTV and I'm hoping to use it as a monitor for my computer as well. I'll be using an NVIDIA 7900 (not sure which yet), and will have my 17" Acer as my everyday monitor, but will attach the other DVI output to the HDTV.

So if all works out well, I should be able to view DVDs on the big screen and play some games (World of Warcraft mostly) on the big screen.

Right now I'm looking at the HP Pavilion md5880n. It's DLP technology w/ native resolution of 1920 x 1080, and supports 1080p via digital input.

Will this do what I want it to do?
Should I consider SLI for such resolutions?

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Your best connection will be with a DVI-to-HDMI. This is best because it will be a digital pc to digital flat panel connection.

With a VGA connection, there will be (1) digital to analog conversion in the graphics card, and then (2) analog to digital conversion in the panel, which is highly undesirable for a high performance system like yours.

You will need a DVI-to-HDMI cable or a HDMI cable with an DVI-to-HDMI adapter. As you know, nearly all graphics cards have at least one DVI out port, including your expected Nvidia 1900. Some have two DVI ports.

Wth the DVI-to-HDMI cable it's a straight connection to the HP panel.

The alternate connection is to put a DVI-to-HDMI adapter right on the DVI port on the graphics card. Then, use the regular HDMI cable to complete the connecition.

I don't think that you need a SLI setup to do what you want. The Nvidia 1900 should do the trick.

Nvidia's latest graphics drivers include proper resolutions and refresh rates for today's HD digital panels.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
hmm... Well I'm going to agree that a DVI to HDMI adapter is a good idea. Now if you're playing world of Warcraft and playing DVDs... SLI or Xfire will depend on your mobo, but both would probably be a good idea if you want the eye candy. I would recommend quad-sli but due to the lack of development in the drivers and the insanely high resolutions required for anything to take advantage of it I'm not going to recommend it.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
hmm... Well I'm going to agree that a DVI to HDMI adapter is a good idea.

I've tried this with three different HDTVs from a 20" Samsung to a 55" Sony SXRD, with good to excellent quality nvidia and ATI GPUs up to 1900 XFire. I was disappointed with the results. I keep thinking about putting the ATI HDTV Wonder in my video editing rig but have heard so many bad things about it, I just haven't been able to get in the mood for an install from hell.

quadrogate

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
You will do just fine at 1920x1080. I use a 37' Westinghouse HD monitor. I can tell you right now, WOW will run just fine without SLI. I have played WOW using my x850 XT PE and it runs beuatifully at that resolution. Here is a screenshot of my setup and some screeenshots of EQ2 running at 1920x1080. Just make sure and use DVI or HDMI input on your TV. VGA input is boooo!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Gezer_/DSCF2258.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Gezer_/DSCF2164.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Gezer_/DSCF2165.jpg

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Thanks for the comments from those of you who have actually done this before.

Of course I will be using the digital connection. The set can only achieve the high resolution via the digital connection. I'll be going w/ the DVI-HDMI adapter.

I never had any doubt that it COULD be done, the question was more if it could be done satisfactorally. Will games look right or will there be glitches all over the place?

BTW: I've already got this setup to work w/ a 27" LCD panel HDTV, but I'm mostly concerned about the DLP technology and it's compatibility w/ the output from today's graphics cards.

I've tried this with three different HDTVs from a 20" Samsung to a 55" Sony SXRD, with good to excellent quality nvidia and ATI GPUs up to 1900 XFire. I was disappointed with the results. I keep thinking about putting the ATI HDTV Wonder in my video editing rig but have heard so many bad things about it, I just haven't been able to get in the mood for an install from hell.
Thanks Clue69Less... can you be a bit more specific? What did you find disappointing. Was it ghosting? Artifacts? What was it?

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
... SLI or Xfire will depend on your mobo, but both would probably be a good idea if you want the eye candy.

My MOBO supports SLI. So I take it you have used SLI or Xfire w/ a 1920 x 1080 monitor?

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Yes, and no. I haven't done it with a tv, but I have done it with a monitor before... I know, helpful isn't it? Anyways, I've worked with a tv before using SLI and unfortunately my tv doesn't go up that high but it's the same basic principle. You just need to make sure you're using an HDMI connector from your graphics card (it's the easiest but not many graphics cards that I've seen have HDMI connectors on them) or a DVI-HDMI adapter. Now I haven't had any problems except when I accidentally forgot to change my resolution to match the resolution of the tv, I had it at 800-600 and yeah... you can do the math.

Mandar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2004
I have my XFX 7950GX2 running to my 32" Vizio HDTV using a DVI-VGA connection, and it looks great. No ghosting, or tearing of any of my games. The new nvidia driver picked up the monitor with no problems, and sized up the image to 1366x768@60hz.

cid_005e01c735c2ec2c9220DB8122CAman.jpg

FlightSim X
cid_006001c735c2ec2c9220DB8122CAman.jpg

untitled22.jpg

Bl4d3

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
ok so if i want to buy a setup like this, what is it that i must look for in the tv. i can always buy the dvi to hdmi cable later right? thank you so much.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i have done this with a 68gt in single and sli config,s
on my 32inch sony hdtv 200lb crt behemouth.
and on my cousins 47 inch hdtv projector tv
and my moms 110inch dlp projector.

all have dvi and hdmi inputs.

it looks great but my crt smokes them all in overall picture
quality.

and the sli made a difference as my tv is 1920x1080.
cant remember what the others native res was.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I don't see an HDMI connector on that TV. Did I miss something? I would certainly consider having that option on any HDTV I was considering -- it's the wave of the future.

TRENDING THREADS