TCP/IP for Primary/Secondary DNS

Hi ,

I have 2 DNS Servers - acting as Primary and Secondary (both Active
Directory integrated). What should be the correct TCPIP (DNS) configuration
of each server?
Should the DNS be pointing to itself with peer as the secondary? I read from
Microsoft website that WINS server should be configured as its own primary
and secondary WINS servers. Is this the same case as the DNS?

Would someone please give me an example of what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks in advance

"NTM" <NTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi ,
>
> I have 2 DNS Servers - acting as Primary and Secondary (both Active
> Directory integrated). What should be the correct TCPIP (DNS)
configuration
> of each server?

In general DNS servers AS CLIENTS should point to
themselves.

> Should the DNS be pointing to itself with peer as the secondary?

It's actually called "Preferred" and "Alternate" (not secondary)
and has nothing directly to do with the role of the server itself.

> I read from
> Microsoft website that WINS server should be configured as its own
primary
> and secondary WINS servers. Is this the same case as the DNS?

Generally, name servers should point at themselves first, their
partner(s) second, third, etc.

There ARE SOME limited reasons for occasionally pointing
DNS servers (as DNS CLIENTS) at the MASTER DNS server,
especially to help them get registered there (the only place) when
DNS or AD replication is (initially) screwed up.

> Would someone please give me an example of what I'm supposed to do.

Put each one first on itself, unless you have DNS replication
problems in which case put the MASTER first on each, or
even the master alone until you can get it all straight (i.e.,
replicated again.)

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks in advance

In news:8E07F850-67B5-48C4-8AD3-59AE75F67EBA@microsoft.com,
NTM <NTM@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi ,
>
> I have 2 DNS Servers - acting as Primary and Secondary
> (both Active Directory integrated).
This statement is a oxymoron, An Active Directory integrated zone cannot be
a secondary, all AD zones are masters and writable and are therefore closer
to being primary, never a secondary.

What should be the
> correct TCPIP (DNS) configuration of each server?

825036 - Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and
in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036&sd=RMVP

> Should the DNS be pointing to itself with peer as the
> secondary?

I think you have Preferred Alternate confused with Primary Secondary.
Preferred and Alternate are terms used in the DNS server list in TCP/IP
properties.
Primary and Secondary are Zone types. A primary zone is a writable zone and
usually the master in the SOA record, a secondary zone is a read only copy
of the master DNS.

I read from Microsoft website that WINS
> server should be configured as its own primary and
> secondary WINS servers. Is this the same case as the DNS?

A WINS server can/should point to itself, just as a DNS server can.

Read the article above for DNS configuration in client settings, keep in
mind the machine DNS is running on is also a client and the DNS server does
NOT depend on the client settings in TCP/IP properties for any external
resolution. The DNS server only needs to find it way to the internet root
servers, in other words the machine will need a default gateway for the DNS
server to find its way out.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]