Remove DNS Server

I recently upgraded my domain from NT 4.0 using the swing server method
and I want to remove the swing server from my Domain. The swing server
was acting as my primary DNS server, but I have configured another
domain controller for that role. I have transferred the primary DNS
role to another server, and I've removed the address record and NS
records from the zone.

The problem is that whe the swing server is taken offline, the clients
can resolve internal domain addresses but not internet addresses. I
have external forwarders set up for internet addresses, and the primary
DNS server can resolve internet addresses, just not the clients. What
am I missing here?

<davewall@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded my domain from NT 4.0 using the swing server method
> and I want to remove the swing server from my Domain. The swing server
> was acting as my primary DNS server, but I have configured another
> domain controller for that role. I have transferred the primary DNS
> role to another server, and I've removed the address record and NS
> records from the zone.
>
> The problem is that whe the swing server is taken offline, the clients
> can resolve internal domain addresses but not internet addresses.

Remove the "swing server" (whatever that means) address
from the CLIENTS, and add the ISP or other appropriate
DNS server(s) as the FORWARDER on your working DNS
servers (forwarders tab in server properties) as you seem to
have done....

> have external forwarders set up for internet addresses, and the primary
> DNS server can resolve internet addresses, just not the clients. What
> am I missing here?

Clients must point to the INTERNAL DNS server(s) only,
and the intneral DNS server should normally forward to
a DNS server (ISP or firewall/gateway) that can resolve
the Internet.

DNS for AD domains:
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domain (either directly or indirectly)

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC and/or use:

nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

Single Lable domain zone names are a problem Google:
[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

--
Herb Martin