Unable to Access Company Website Internally

I recently redesigned a website for a friend's company, transferred the
domain to another registrar, and moved the hosting to another company.
The site is up and running everywhere on the internet except at the
client's location. When they attempt to access the URL "Page cannot be
displayed" comes up. I did an NSLOOKUP on the webpage and it comes back
with the IP of their intranet server. The forwarders on the W2k server
are correctly set to their ISP DNS servers. Is there some file that
needs to be changed on their internal DNS server to remove that
pointer? I was told that the original webpage wasn't hosted at their
site...maybe they were wrong? Any help is appreciated.

--
f5snopro

Hi

A little confused on this...Ok, so there has been a change of registrar, and
a change of hosting company. The way I understand it is that the website is
run from a server on your friends network....is that correct?

Try the following:
1. On the internet, I assume you access this website using something like
http://www.friendscompanyname.com
2. On the internal network, first of all try the following in the browser:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (substitute xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for the LAN IP address of
the webserver.
3. If that works correctly, create new record in DNS. The record should be
created to resolve www.friendscompanyname.com to the LAN IP address of the
server.

By doing the above, the client machine will contact the DNS server for name
resolution of www.friendscompanyname.com, and be directed straight to the LAN
IP address of the server. This will avoid the request getting to the server
and then being forwarded straight to the ISP DNS server for resolution.

It's the early hours at the moment....so I apologise for any typos, or
mis-understandings. If I have missed the point of your problem at all, or
you would like me to try and help further, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers
Dan Sime
MCSA 2000
CNA Netware 5.1
CNA Groupwise 6

"f5snopro" wrote:

> I recently redesigned a website for a friend's company, transferred the
> domain to another registrar, and moved the hosting to another company.
> The site is up and running everywhere on the internet except at the
> client's location. When they attempt to access the URL "Page cannot be
> displayed" comes up. I did an NSLOOKUP on the webpage and it comes back
> with the IP of their intranet server. The forwarders on the W2k server
> are correctly set to their ISP DNS servers. Is there some file that
> needs to be changed on their internal DNS server to remove that
> pointer? I was told that the original webpage wasn't hosted at their
> site...maybe they were wrong? Any help is appreciated.
>

> --
> f5snopro

My e-mail address by the way is:
dansime@hotmail.com

Cheers
Dan

"DanSime" wrote:

> Hi
>
> A little confused on this...Ok, so there has been a change of registrar, and
> a change of hosting company. The way I understand it is that the website is
> run from a server on your friends network....is that correct?
>
> Try the following:
> 1. On the internet, I assume you access this website using something like
> http://www.friendscompanyname.com
> 2. On the internal network, first of all try the following in the browser:
> http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (substitute xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for the LAN IP address of
> the webserver.
> 3. If that works correctly, create new record in DNS. The record should be
> created to resolve www.friendscompanyname.com to the LAN IP address of the
> server.
>
> By doing the above, the client machine will contact the DNS server for name
> resolution of www.friendscompanyname.com, and be directed straight to the LAN
> IP address of the server. This will avoid the request getting to the server
> and then being forwarded straight to the ISP DNS server for resolution.
>
> It's the early hours at the moment....so I apologise for any typos, or
> mis-understandings. If I have missed the point of your problem at all, or
> you would like me to try and help further, please feel free to contact me.
>
> Cheers
> Dan Sime
> MCSA 2000
> CNA Netware 5.1
> CNA Groupwise 6
>
> "f5snopro" wrote:
>

> > I recently redesigned a website for a friend's company, transferred the
> > domain to another registrar, and moved the hosting to another company.
> > The site is up and running everywhere on the internet except at the
> > client's location. When they attempt to access the URL "Page cannot be
> > displayed" comes up. I did an NSLOOKUP on the webpage and it comes back
> > with the IP of their intranet server. The forwarders on the W2k server
> > are correctly set to their ISP DNS servers. Is there some file that
> > needs to be changed on their internal DNS server to remove that
> > pointer? I was told that the original webpage wasn't hosted at their
> > site...maybe they were wrong? Any help is appreciated.
> >

> > --
> > f5snopro

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:40:10 -0600, f5snopro
<f5snopro.1jlf19@mail.webservertalk.com> wrote:

>I recently redesigned a website for a friend's company, transferred the
>domain to another registrar, and moved the hosting to another company.
>The site is up and running everywhere on the internet except at the
>client's location. When they attempt to access the URL "Page cannot be
>displayed" comes up. I did an NSLOOKUP on the webpage and it comes back
>with the IP of their intranet server. The forwarders on the W2k server
>are correctly set to their ISP DNS servers. Is there some file that
>needs to be changed on their internal DNS server to remove that
>pointer? I was told that the original webpage wasn't hosted at their
>site...maybe they were wrong? Any help is appreciated.

The internal DNS domain name may be the same as their hosted domain
name. In which case they need a host record for the web site host
name (the "www" part) pointing to the IP of the web server where it is
hosted.

Jeff