DNS problem when I first instal Active Directory on Win2003

When I was installing Active Directory in the first time (1st Domain
Controller in the forest), when it reached DNS testing and installation, it
said:

The SOA query for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ExchangeLab.com to find the primary
DNS server returned:
DNS server failure.
(error code 0x0000232A "RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE")

Is there expert can help me? Before I installed Active Directory, DNS has
been installed (the zone name is ExchangeLab.com). But I haven't configured
the setting of DNS. Nothing has not been touched on DNS.

My static IP is: 192.168.0.100
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.5 (Linksys router)
DNS: 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.5

Router is attached to the high speed modem. High speed modem is connected to
ISP
2 answers Last reply
More about problem instal active directory win2003

    > Is there expert can help me? Before I installed Active Directory, DNS has
    > been installed (the zone name is ExchangeLab.com). But I haven't
    configured
    > the setting of DNS. Nothing has not been touched on DNS.
    >
    > My static IP is: 192.168.0.100
    > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Default gateway: 192.168.0.5 (Linksys router)
    > DNS: 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.5

    Then one presumes you (already) have TWO INTERNAL
    DNS servers holding that zone ExchangeLab.com.

    The zone (on the Primary) needs to be set to allow Dynamic
    Updates for AD-DCs.

    This zone should be completely isolated from any
    EXTERNAL zone (best left at the Registrar) for the
    same name.

    Separating internal from external zones with the same
    name is called "Shadow DNS."

    You must add all EXTERNAL resource names to the
    INTERNAL server manually.

    > Router is attached to the high speed modem. High speed modem is connected
    > ISP

    Pretty much irrelevant.

    --
    Herb Martin

    "Wilson" <wcwcheung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I was installing Active Directory in the first time (1st Domain
    > Controller in the forest), when it reached DNS testing and installation,
    it
    > said:
    >

    > The SOA query for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ExchangeLab.com to find the primary
    > DNS server returned:
    > DNS server failure.
    > (error code 0x0000232A "RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE")
    >

    > Is there expert can help me? Before I installed Active Directory, DNS has
    > been installed (the zone name is ExchangeLab.com). But I haven't
    configured
    > the setting of DNS. Nothing has not been touched on DNS.

    In news:OxWSM9lBFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Wilson <wcwcheung@yahoo.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > When I was installing Active Directory in the first time
    > (1st Domain Controller in the forest), when it reached
    > DNS testing and installation, it said:
    >

    > The SOA query for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ExchangeLab.com to
    > find the primary DNS server returned:
    > DNS server failure.
    > (error code 0x0000232A "RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE")
    >

    > Is there expert can help me? Before I installed Active
    > Directory, DNS has been installed (the zone name is
    > ExchangeLab.com). But I haven't configured the setting of
    > DNS. Nothing has not been touched on DNS.
    >

    > My static IP is: 192.168.0.100
    > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Default gateway: 192.168.0.5 (Linksys router)
    > DNS: 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.5
    >
    > Router is attached to the high speed modem. High speed
    > modem is connected to ISP

    The error is caused by you having your routers IP for the Alternate DNS
    server in TCP/IP properties. You cannot use any DNS server IP in any
    position that does not support the AD domain. Since your router forwards to
    your ISP, one must assume there is no way your ISP knows anything about your
    AD domain which the DC registers its records in, which is why your getting
    the errors in your event log.
    You can configure your local DNS to forward to your router, but none of your
    AD domain members, including the DC should use your router for DNS.
    300202 - HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300202&sd=RMVP

    825036 - Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and
    in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036&sd=RMVP

    323380 - HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323380&sd=RMVP

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]