fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
'Generic SCSI DVD Drive' is usually what a virtual drive created by Alcohol/Daemon etc... appear as, I wouldn't worry.

i agree..if everything looks good in hardware config (cables are all ok, also mobo ide is ok) the only posible cause would be a generic third party tool for virtual drives like alchool, daemon tool, or nero image drive
uninstall these software and see what happens ..

good luck

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Look at your settings in the bios as well. see if the drives are being detected. Try cable select as well systems such as dell and others do not like master/slave. other thing to try is bios update. newer dvd drives cause trouble on machines without up to date bios.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
Make sure your SCSI cable is not terminated before it gets to your DVD.

Many modern drives (especially external) have a terminator switch (sometimes a jumper) to add termination which effectively ends the SCSI chain.

Check your SCSI LUN and make sure it is unique (remember the adapter card counts as a LUN too).

If it is an external DVD, many external cases include an EASY to change LUN (just push a button on one of mine and it cycles through the numbers).

When you boot up, there should be a key sequence to config your SCSI adapter card, use it and see if the SCSI hardware sees the DVD when it does it's LUN scan. If it is visible in the LUN scan, then your hardware should be good, and you can move on to windows drivers (which unlike an IDE DVD, you probably have to supply). If your DVD does not pop up under the cards LUN scan, then re-check cable seating, terminators and power connections (make sure your DVD has power).

good luck.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
My computer is not detecting my cd/dvd rom reader and writier.

can you pls take a look at the images i have attacehed ?

is there any free app where i can install to see if everythign is running correctly on my system, ex: motherboard, hard drives.. etc.. things like this ?

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51915
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51916

thank you !

Sounds to me like your Upper and Lower CD-ROM filters got F'd up.

do this, go to START > RUN > type in "regedit"

Look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

in the right panel select "LowerFilters" and hit DELETE, confirm with YES
in the right panel select "UpperFilters" and hit DELETE, confirm with YES

Close the Registry Editor

Restart the computer. This *Should* solve the problem once you restart as windows will reset those values to default.

mtlndg

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
IT WORKED !!!!!

THANK YOU "LogicSequence", AND EVERYBODY WHO TRIED TO HELP ME.

LogicSequence suggested i try doign this :

Look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

thx again !!!!

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
IT WORKED !!!!!

THANK YOU "LogicSequence", AND EVERYBODY WHO TRIED TO HELP ME.

LogicSequence suggested i try doign this :

thx again !!!!

No problem, glad i could help ;)