Serial Port Splitter?

January 2, 2005 1:13:29 PM

Anyone have experience using a serial port splitter? I have acquired a
number of bluetooth devices that use the serial port and I would like to use
some of them simultaneously. In another thread Terry gave me the link of
http://franson.biz/gpsgate/ . I must be missing something because that looks
like software for developers. I did not find an end-user solution there. Did
I miss it?

Thanks

Joe

More about : serial port splitter

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:14:27 PM

GPSGate at that site is an end user product. check out the User Guide.
Unfortunately I don't think it does what you want. It is designed so you can
use a single BT GPS and deliver the serial output of it to two or more
mapping programs like Mapopolis and Pocket Streets at the same time.
Normally when one program has the BT comm port tied up, the other can't see
or use it.

I gather you have more than one BT serial thing and wish to have two actual
serial connections. I think that is fixed in the BT capability of the
device. You can only support one BT serial connection. GPSGate splits the
data in the PPC after it gets in. What assorted things do you have that uses
the serial port. I'm curious because the only things I can think of are GPSs
and BT wireline modems.

I can have multiple BT devices connected that might seem serial but are
actually other profiles. I can for example, have a keyboard, mouse, and GPS
connected while I am connected to the internet via a BT connection to my
GPRS cell phone. That's 4 BT connections, only one of which uses the serial
profile though.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Joe" <jmorris644XX@XXhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have experience using a serial port splitter? I have acquired a
> number of bluetooth devices that use the serial port and I would like to
use
> some of them simultaneously. In another thread Terry gave me the link of
> http://franson.biz/gpsgate/ . I must be missing something because that
looks
> like software for developers. I did not find an end-user solution there.
Did
> I miss it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

January 3, 2005 11:00:25 PM

The two I am having trouble with is my phone and being connected at the same
time with my Jabra headset. You know what, now that I type it, I bet I am
thinking about the phone being limited, not the PPC. :)

Time to go to the Nokia forums...

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> GPSGate at that site is an end user product. check out the User Guide.
> Unfortunately I don't think it does what you want. It is designed so you
> can
> use a single BT GPS and deliver the serial output of it to two or more
> mapping programs like Mapopolis and Pocket Streets at the same time.
> Normally when one program has the BT comm port tied up, the other can't
> see
> or use it.
>
> I gather you have more than one BT serial thing and wish to have two
> actual
> serial connections. I think that is fixed in the BT capability of the
> device. You can only support one BT serial connection. GPSGate splits the
> data in the PPC after it gets in. What assorted things do you have that
> uses
> the serial port. I'm curious because the only things I can think of are
> GPSs
> and BT wireline modems.
>
> I can have multiple BT devices connected that might seem serial but are
> actually other profiles. I can for example, have a keyboard, mouse, and
> GPS
> connected while I am connected to the internet via a BT connection to my
> GPRS cell phone. That's 4 BT connections, only one of which uses the
> serial
> profile though.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Joe" <jmorris644XX@XXhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone have experience using a serial port splitter? I have acquired a
>> number of bluetooth devices that use the serial port and I would like to
> use
>> some of them simultaneously. In another thread Terry gave me the link of
>> http://franson.biz/gpsgate/ . I must be missing something because that
> looks
>> like software for developers. I did not find an end-user solution there.
> Did
>> I miss it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Joe

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:02:24 PM

You mean having the Nokia connected to the PPC and to the headset? I don't
think that is going to happen. I do think most phones are stuck with a one
connection at a time capability. Now if you are talking about connecting the
headset to the PPC (assuming it can) and then the PPC to the internet via a
BT connection to the phone...bet you can do that. Might even get some use
out of that with Microsoft Portrait and it's low bandwidth VoIP capability.

--

!