Switch Brand Suggestions

Hello:

I am pricing switches for a client. In the past, I have simply used Cisco
and been pleased. This client is balking at the price and points to other
vendors such as HP or even Dell.

For a 100-user network with little or no VLANing what is the advantage of
Cisco's hardware? Are there any vendors to avoid? Finally, any specific
suggestions or warnings about the HP Procurve 4100?

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about switch brand suggestions

    Liz Eriksen <NoSpam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hello:

    > I am pricing switches for a client. In the past, I have simply used Cisco
    > and been pleased. This client is balking at the price and points to other
    > vendors such as HP or even Dell.

    > For a 100-user network with little or no VLANing what is the advantage of
    > Cisco's hardware? Are there any vendors to avoid? Finally, any specific
    > suggestions or warnings about the HP Procurve 4100?

    In short : dependability, support, future upgrade and compatibility.

    The two mentioned comes nowhere close (imho)

    --
    Peter Håkanson

    In article <cjek1i$2smc$1@nyheter.ipsec.se>, <phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote:
    :Liz Eriksen <NoSpam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    :> I am pricing switches for a client. In the past, I have simply used Cisco
    :> and been pleased. This client is balking at the price and points to other
    :> vendors such as HP or even Dell.

    :In short : dependability, support, future upgrade and compatibility.

    Dell's products that are not computers, are usually devices bought
    from OEMs. Sometimes Dell says outright who made a device, and
    sometimes they do not. If you are looking for a particular device,
    then sometimes you will find that Dell has a quite competitive price
    for it, due to their bulk-buying.

    As, though, the devices are not made by Dell, then you cannot expect
    Dell support to be able to know the devices well. If you get the
    support for a device through Dell, then if you have a tricky problem,
    Dell support is going to end up playing the middleman, relaying your
    questions to the original company, rather than dealing with the matter
    themselves. Or alternately, Dell will just act as a payment location
    and will give you direct access to the vendor's support facilities,
    however good they are. In the case of Cisco, those vendor facilities
    support facilities are quite good... but if it turns out that the device
    was made by a company that turns largely out of a "third world" country,
    then support could be nearly unavailable, incomprehensible, slow,
    fast but so inaccurate as to make your problem worse -- or it might turn
    out to be quite helpful, if the company is trying hard to compete on
    service rather than on price alone.

    Do not, in other words, expect Dell's reputation for good support
    for their computers in North America to carry over to support for the
    other devices available through Dell: ask Dell hard questions about
    the support for any non-computer equipment you are investigating purchasing
    through them.

    When your client's network fails, who will be responsible for fixing
    it? If it is you, then you are going to want to take a "dry run"
    on the support infrastructure to find out what it is like. You do
    NOT want to be stuck in the situation where your client decides to
    go with a product based mostly upon price, and *you* get stuck being
    unable to do quality support because the vendor's support infrastructure
    for the product is poor.

    If the client plans to handle the support directly then your "due
    diligence" extends to finding out what the support for the item would
    be like (e.g., by examining past usenet postings in which people have
    talked about their support experiences with the OEM) and to
    conveying what you found to the client. If the client still decides
    to go with low price instead of the best price + performance + support
    combination, then the client will probably -still- blame you when
    they can't get good support, but at least they won't be able to
    successfully sue you if you have on record the report in which you
    warned about support issues.

    Around here, some people are unhappy about the ~$CDN5000 that we pay in
    support annually for our Cisco firewall. They complain about the
    size of my budget, and insinuate that I'm spending my budget frivilously.

    Well, yes, it is true that I could go for a lower support level,
    such as 8x5 Next Business day, rather than 24x7 with 4 hours response
    time with parts delivered (if needed) in the middle of the night from
    a district support warehouse. But I do a simple calculation that
    has proven to be compelling to anyone who actually asks about the
    price instead of assuming that I'm gold-bricking.

    I obtain the total annual salary costs for our organization from the
    admin staff, and divide by the number of official working hours per day
    (10 hours in our case, taking into account that not everyone starts
    work at the same time), and reduce the result by a fudge factor of
    about 0.8 to account for the fact that on any particular day, not
    everyone is going to need the network in order to be able to perform
    their job. The resulting figure is the "opportunity cost" per hour --
    the cost to the organization in lost wages from people unable to do
    their jobs because they can't access the facilities they need. I then
    multiply that by the average number of hours to fix the device
    if we only have "next business day" replacement and if I have no
    access to the vendor's support if I find a problem during the "off-hours"
    that could potentially be solved before other people need the network.

    For our organization, the resulting calculation shows that
    an 8x5xNBD support contract could cost the organization about $CDN 10000
    in lost productivity for a single incident. The $CDN 2000 price
    difference between the bottom-level support we could get and the layer
    we actually purchase then becomes a quite acceptable expense. Management
    is often more than a little fuzzy about why you would buy more expensive
    equipment or a more expensive support contract than the minimum that
    would do that job, but they do sit up and take notice when you can
    deduce hard figures such as $CDN 10000 lost wages per incident as the
    potential consequence for going with cheaper, less supported devices.
    (The potential costs would be much higher if we were a "business" instead
    of a research site.)

    Speaking in generalities, *our* experience with vendors has led us to
    the following stereotypes:

    Cisco: There's always someone else less expensive, but Cisco's devices
    are often more price competitive than reputation would led you
    to expect. Online support facilities are excellent, and we really
    do get a callback within 15 minutes of opening a case in the middle
    of the night (even when the matter could easily wait.) But the
    sheer volume of online documentation leads to situations in which
    the online support (such as the Feature Navigator or sales brochures)
    might not catch up with new releases for several months -- but even
    then, if you notice something in particular and nudge the writers,
    then the correction will usually appear in the next internal Cisco
    documentation release cycle, possibly in less than a week.

    The sheer number of features available can be daunting: to learn
    -everything- about any particular device might take months or years.
    And you likely will only use a fraction of the features at any one
    time. But if your organization undergoes a sudden topology change,
    or if someone suddenly plops a project on you (e.g., they went
    ahead and bought a major new device without consulting you
    about potential network impacts), then chances are high that there
    is a feature already present that you can use. And 5 years down the
    road when devices are faster and cheaper and you are taking the
    Cisco device out of mainline service, you will likely be able to
    use other features you had not looked at before and redeploy the
    Cisco device for other useful work. The usual phrasing is that
    Cisco devices have "the kitchen sink" of features. But the flip side
    of this is that you are paying for features that *you* don't need
    (or didn't think you needed when you bought the device.)

    Look at the market in used Cisco equipment. People are still asking
    serious questions about the 1600 series routers; we deployed a
    1600 series router pretty close to a decade ago.

    Nortel: Usually less expensive and significantly faster than the
    corresponding Cisco device. But the device is probably not nearly
    as flexible as the Cisco device, and some of the Nortel device's
    feature combinations will probably -never- work over the lifetime
    of the device. The Nortel WWW site is getting a better over time,
    but the search engine on it is still relatively poor: google does a
    -much- better job of finding useful information on the nortel site
    than nortel's [presumably context sensitive] search engine does.
    We had a number of instances in which the Nortel search engine said
    that there was no information available on a particular topic, only
    to later discover that if you happened to read the release notes
    in detail and get an exact document reference, that the information
    was there after-all.

    Nortel service is, I am told, quite good... at least if you are a
    big account and are in the same city as a major nortel office. If not,
    then the service might not be nearly as accomedating. And even on
    the big accounts they are known to say "You must be doing something
    wrong, because that feature works", and to refuse to admit to a
    problem until you apply some clout and get the regional sales manager
    and some nortel technical experts to come to your site and you
    demonstrate that the problem is real. [That was one of the problems
    that never got fixed before that product was EOL'd; in the meantime
    the customer had given up and moved on to other equipment.]

    The lesser flexibility might not be an issue in some situations, but
    in other situations, it can lead to a lot of frustration. I suspect
    that Cisco routers are pretty close to "Turing complete" if you chain
    together enough loopback interfaces, nat translations, and policy
    routing ;-) With Nortel, you are more likely [in our experience] to
    be out of luck if what you want to do does not fit the architecture
    of the ASICs. (Cisco, in those cases, drops to cpu-processed paths,
    which might be noticably slower, but at least allow the job to be done.)

    On the plus side, the Nortel Baystack layer 2 switches are fairly
    easy to configure and are quite reliable, well suited to being just
    plain managed workgroup switches with VLANs. But we're going to have
    to replace ours in not too long, as they just don't have the flexibility
    to be more than that.

    Netgear: fast, cheap, but keep a spare supply of blood on-hand. And
    before you buy, ask hard questions about return policies in the case
    that you can't get the device to do what you need.

    SMC: we haven't used any of their equipment for several years. Our
    measured network reliability went way up when we replaced the SMC
    switches with the Nortel Baystack ones. I have no information about
    what their equipment is like these days. Essentially at the time
    we looked, their devices were "consumer quality", not business quality.
    The current generations of SMC wireless devices aren't getting slammed
    (nor noticably praised) in the wireless newsgroups, which are usually
    pretty fast to whine about problems.

    HP: There was an interesting (but not particularily long) discussion
    perhaps a year ago, that pointed out an issue with the Procurves.
    At the time at least, the Procurves only had [if I recall properly]
    a single spanning tree, rather than a per-vlan spanning tree -- and
    they used the same MAC for all of their VLAN routing. The result was
    not pretty in cases where you had physical topological loops
    and multiple connections between devices that were distinguished by
    their VLAN. Because of the single spanning tree, the Procurves could
    end up flapping that one common MAC between ports, resulting in
    noticable packet loss. If the device had per-vlan spanning tree
    or used different MACs for each VLAN, then there would not have been
    a problem. It could be that this issue has been addressed in more
    recent software versions. (The Procurves did use distinct MACs
    per physical ports set to layer 2 mode, but that didn't apply to
    ports configured for layer 3 routing.)
    --
    I've been working on a kernel
    All the livelong night.

    Walter Roberson wrote:

> [...]
    > together enough loopback interfaces, nat translations, and policy
    > routing ;-) With Nortel, you are more likely [in our experience] to
    > be out of luck if what you want to do does not fit the architecture
    > of the ASICs. (Cisco, in those cases, drops to cpu-processed paths,
    > which might be noticably slower, but at least allow the job to be
    > done.)
    >
    > On the plus side, the Nortel Baystack layer 2 switches are fairly
    > easy to configure and are quite reliable, well suited to being just
    > plain managed workgroup switches with VLANs. But we're going to have
    > to replace ours in not too long, as they just don't have the
    > flexibility to be more than that.
    >
    > Netgear: fast, cheap, but keep a spare supply of blood on-hand. And
    > before you buy, ask hard questions about return policies in the case
    > that you can't get the device to do what you need.

    Minor nit--Netgear really in a different market from the others you're
    discussing, just as Linksys is. Netgear is to Nortel Bay Networks as
    Linksys is to Cisco.

    Assume that Netgear and Linksys products will do simple things reasonably
    well. If you need something flexible then plan on spending the money for
    pro equipment.

    > SMC: we haven't used any of their equipment for several years. Our
    > measured network reliability went way up when we replaced the SMC
    > switches with the Nortel Baystack ones. I have no information about
    > what their equipment is like these days. Essentially at the time
    > we looked, their devices were "consumer quality", not business
    > quality. The current generations of SMC wireless devices aren't
    > getting slammed (nor noticably praised) in the wireless newsgroups,
    > which are usually pretty fast to whine about problems.
    >
    > HP: There was an interesting (but not particularily long) discussion
    > perhaps a year ago, that pointed out an issue with the Procurves.
    > At the time at least, the Procurves only had [if I recall properly]
    > a single spanning tree, rather than a per-vlan spanning tree -- and
    > they used the same MAC for all of their VLAN routing. The result was
    > not pretty in cases where you had physical topological loops
    > and multiple connections between devices that were distinguished by
    > their VLAN. Because of the single spanning tree, the Procurves could
    > end up flapping that one common MAC between ports, resulting in
    > noticable packet loss. If the device had per-vlan spanning tree
    > or used different MACs for each VLAN, then there would not have been
    > a problem. It could be that this issue has been addressed in more
    > recent software versions. (The Procurves did use distinct MACs
    > per physical ports set to layer 2 mode, but that didn't apply to
    > ports configured for layer 3 routing.)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    In article <cjfd280d02@news3.newsguy.com>,
    J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    :> Netgear: fast, cheap, but keep a spare supply of blood on-hand. And
    :> before you buy, ask hard questions about return policies in the case
    :> that you can't get the device to do what you need.

    :Minor nit--Netgear really in a different market from the others you're
    :discussing, just as Linksys is.

    Netgear is attempting to reposition themselves into higher end
    markets. They have several models of multilayer switches now, with
    specs that look very good on paper, at a fraction of the price of Nortel
    or Cisco. But you do not get the user guides, tech tips, how-to's,
    advisories, bug databases, or online incident management tools that
    you get with the more expensive vendors. Which is a problem, because
    some of the distinguishing multilayer features are (in my opinion),
    FUBAR. I would estimate, though, that in another 18 months or so, they
    will have products and infrastructure mature enough to be stealing
    noticable small/medium office business from Cisco and Nortel.

    :Netgear is to Nortel Bay Networks as
    :Linksys is to Cisco.

    That is a common misconception, but it is not accurate. Netgear
    started as a division of Nortel, but a couple of years ago, the
    principles of Netgear bought out Nortel's interest in Netgear, leaving
    Netgear as a completely independant company.

    Linksys on the other hand, started out as an independant company,
    but was bought out by Cisco within the last year, and made into
    a division of Cisco (e.g., has a distinct management structure and
    is not covered by Cisco's TAC support). The usual fate of
    companies bought out by Cisco has been to be wholely absorbed, the
    product quickly rebadged, and the original company's name to live on
    only in places the tech writers miss. For whatever reasons, Cisco
    is not handling Linksys that way. [Personally, I would suspect it
    has a great deal to do with the inability to make a profit in those
    markets if you have a comprehensive support organization to feed.
    When $US 10 can end up being a major deciding factor between competing
    models, extensive documentation is rarely profitable.]
    --
    Would you buy a used bit from this man??
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote

    <all snipped>

    Very interesting.

    I agree, but have not enough current experience to make my agreement
    worth anything.

    Thanks Walter.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > Minor nit--Netgear really in a different market from the others you're
    > discussing, just as Linksys is. Netgear is to Nortel Bay Networks as
    > Linksys is to Cisco.

    Look at the gsm7312, gsm7324, fsm7324p, etc. layer three switches. also
    the 700 series layer 2 boxes - the fsm736s, etc. I would not say that is
    the same market linksys is after at all.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > Netgear is attempting to reposition themselves into higher end
    > markets. They have several models of multilayer switches now, with
    > specs that look very good on paper, at a fraction of the price of Nortel
    > or Cisco. But you do not get the user guides, tech tips, how-to's,
    > advisories, bug databases, or online incident management tools that
    > you get with the more expensive vendors. Which is a problem, because
    > some of the distinguishing multilayer features are (in my opinion),
    > FUBAR. I would estimate, though, that in another 18 months or so, they
    > will have products and infrastructure mature enough to be stealing
    > noticable small/medium office business from Cisco and Nortel.

    That would be nice. It would be good to be able to run OSPF on my
    gsm7312 alongside my ARN's and passports 5340's without having the
    netgear box crash and reboot everytime an ospf link state update occurs...

    And it would be nice to be able to contact their tech support about the
    problem and have them respond with something other than a idiot based
    tutorial on how OSPF works. And when I explain I already know this
    stuiff, the box is correctly configured, but it crashes (which should
    not happen even if it is misconfigured IMO) they simply stop responding.

    Netgear support is useless for their high end boxes.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:20:01 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Assume that Netgear and Linksys products will do simple things reasonably
    >well. If you need something flexible then plan on spending the money for
    >pro equipment.

    eg see my thread on "What happened to cause these network errors?"

    --
    TonyL
  9. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu writes:

    >Liz Eriksen <NoSpam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Hello:

    >> I am pricing switches for a client. In the past, I have simply used Cisco
    >> and been pleased. This client is balking at the price and points to other
    >> vendors such as HP or even Dell.

    >> For a 100-user network with little or no VLANing what is the advantage of
    >> Cisco's hardware? Are there any vendors to avoid? Finally, any specific
    >> suggestions or warnings about the HP Procurve 4100?

    >In short : dependability, support, future upgrade and compatibility.

    >The two mentioned comes nowhere close (imho)

    Yeah. Cisco and Dell definitely doesn't come close to the
    dependability and support of the HP networking gear. Top class.

    We use a *lot* of HP ProCurve switches (2424, 4000, 8000, 2524, 2824,
    4100, 5300, 6208, 6308 around here). Works like a charm. The
    price combined with the lifetime warranty is unbeatable.

    - Peter
    Peter Eriksson <peter@ifm.liu.se> Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203
  10. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Wow! Thanks (especially Walter) for the lengthy and thoughtful response.
    Reading over the responses it seems that, in the professional (as opposed
    to consumer) hardware the differences are largely in support and features.

    Many of you wrote about sophisticated Layer 3 functions that probably would
    not apply to my client. If they did, we would probably just do it the old
    fashioned way -- with a router.

    I appreciate the comments about Dell, and I should have said that they were
    never really a contender in my mind. HP's support, I have found to be good
    in other areas. I know they have been in the networking market for a long
    time.

    My feeling now is that we will go with the HP ProCurve 4100 with full
    gigabit ports.

    Thanks again.

Hewlett Packard Ethernet Card Networking