I don't think I'm getting the FPS I should be getting...

giantkoreandorq

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Hey, recently, I just built my own rig and I'm very proud of it. However, it seems like in my game I play, Counter-Strike: Source, I can't get above 85 FPS (Used to be 75 yesterday) in stress test and I'm pretty sure that I should have close to 100 FPS or more. Even on the lowest settings, it doesn't go higher. I know I don't have Vsync on in-game or in the advanced settings, and I eliminate all my background programs. My GPU temperature is at 60-65C when playing. I also have installed the latest Omega drivers twice already. Here are my system specs:

AMD 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz AM2
Asus M2N-E AM2 motherboard
XCILIO 450W PSU
Corsair Valueselect 1Gb (512x2) of RAM
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM
Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB PCI-E x16
Samsung x16 DVD-ROM

I've updated my motherboard BIOs to the latest version but still has not made a difference. Do you think I need to get a differen GPU BIOs?

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
If you are getting the same frame rates at a low res you are more than likely CPU bottlenecked. Try setting the processor Affinity to just one of the cores in task manager and see if that helps(alt tab out of game right click on process and then go to the affinity menu). Steam sometimes has issues with 2 core processors.

-][nCiNeRaToR-

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
well thats is strange i get that type of fps and i play with music at the same time and i also got a 94fps on the stress test..
well i had that problem with my old system .. and then i found out it was a virus so check that out too. and if you run an anti virus scan and then still dont have higher fps then reinstall windows and reformate your HDD i know some ppl will disagree with me but thats what fixed my problem... and it was working fine after that

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Hey, recently, I just built my own rig and I'm very proud of it. However, it seems like in my game I play, Counter-Strike: Source, I can't get above 85 FPS (Used to be 75 yesterday) in stress test and I'm pretty sure that I should have close to 100 FPS or more. Even on the lowest settings, it doesn't go higher. I know I don't have Vsync on in-game or in the advanced settings, and I eliminate all my background programs. My GPU temperature is at 60-65C when playing. I also have installed the latest Omega drivers twice already. Here are my system specs:

AMD 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz AM2
XCILIO 450W PSU
Samsung x16 DVD-ROM

I've updated my motherboard BIOs to the latest version but still has not made a difference. Do you think I need to get a differen GPU BIOs?

100% CPU limited

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
hmm, of course it will be your cpu bottlenecking things at low res and settings. IMO if you are getting over 40-60 FPS it is fine so crank up the detail levels and enjoy the gfx as well as the game play.

if you are worried it is underr perfroming run 3dmark 05 or 06 and compare your score with others on their website(not here)

i personally don't see a 3200 bottlenecking source that much. i may be wrong though like i said your FPS are fine so crank things up a bit.
he does have a point i used to have a sempron 2200+ and it played source 40-50fps.
plus i dont think you can really notice the difference between 70-80fps and 140fps?

acole

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2005

AMD 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz AM2
XCILIO 450W PSU
Samsung x16 DVD-ROM

Stop crying.

You are getting good frames, and exactly what should be expected with that CPU.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I think you should be getting more fps than that. I get between 70 and 90 when I have it on 1152 with med-high settings in the stress test, and Ive got an x600 and P4. You should check to see if there are any other processes that are taking up your precious cpu power and then destroy them with a vengeance. Do things like virus scans and adware scans 'n shtuff. If all else fails, kill everything and start from square 0.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
My army of Jedi squirrels that spy on every person in this forum.

I really didn’t read the whole thing. I will go back in my cage now.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I have a p4 at 3.4 ghz and i get over 100 fps in the stress test... BUT i had to find the ultimate settings for it.

Source is very weird, i've tried benchmarking with and without AA and AF at different resolutions, and it seems that my x850 loves 4x AA and 4x AF.

The fps actually go down if i lower the anti aliasing.. probably too much load on the cpu.

Try it yourself. :wink: