kgerm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
This is my first build with all new components. I purchased from Newegg, TigerDirect, and Directron.

Biostar TForce4U NF4U (939)
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ 2.2GHz
2 x 1024 Ultra DDR PC3200 400MHz
e-GeForce 7300 GS PCI-e
Titanium Ultra X-2 Connect 550w SLI PSU
Compucase Rackmount Enclosure 4U, 3 Fans
(2) 300 Gb Maxtor SATA Drives, 7200/16mb

Initially I mounted the motherboard and installed the processor, I hooked up the PSU and my video card to try to get to POST, but nothing appeared on the monitor. The fans spin but that's about it. LED_D1 and LED_D2 did not light, indicating a CPU/Chipset error according to Biostar's manual.

After lurking around here looking for clues, I pulled the Mobo and put it on a box to see if it was a short. Then I just connected the CPU/cooler, 1 stick of ram, gfx and psu. Same thing. No led_d1 or d2.

I also hear no beeps when ram is absent or when the gfx card is out. The speaker was connected. I've reseated the Ram, CPU & gfx card. I've cleared the cmos. Same result. I have no other processor to try. I did try a different gfx card though.

I've been spinning wheels for a few days now. Biostar and Newegg support aren't very helpful. Any help would be appreciated before I get RMAs for stuff.

Thanks.

Right now i'm thinking either power supply, or motherboard. Reseat all of the power supply connections to all of the components. If you have another power supply around, try using it in the biostar board (doesn't matter if it's only a 20 pin supply). If it doesn't work, it's most likely the board, if it does work, it's the power supply.

This is my first build with all new components. I purchased from Newegg, TigerDirect, and Directron.

Biostar TForce4U NF4U (939)
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ 2.2GHz
2 x 1024 Ultra DDR PC3200 400MHz
e-GeForce 7300 GS PCI-e
Titanium Ultra X-2 Connect 550w SLI PSU
Compucase Rackmount Enclosure 4U, 3 Fans
(2) 300 Gb Maxtor SATA Drives, 7200/16mb

Initially I mounted the motherboard and installed the processor, I hooked up the PSU and my video card to try to get to POST, but nothing appeared on the monitor. The fans spin but that's about it. LED_D1 and LED_D2 did not light, indicating a CPU/Chipset error according to Biostar's manual.

After lurking around here looking for clues, I pulled the Mobo and put it on a box to see if it was a short. Then I just connected the CPU/cooler, 1 stick of ram, gfx and psu. Same thing. No led_d1 or d2.

I also hear no beeps when ram is absent or when the gfx card is out. The speaker was connected. I've reseated the Ram, CPU & gfx card. I've cleared the cmos. Same result. I have no other processor to try. I did try a different gfx card though.

I've been spinning wheels for a few days now. Biostar and Newegg support aren't very helpful. Any help would be appreciated before I get RMAs for stuff.

Thanks.

You might try a different monitor. At least unplug the monitor you are using and plug into a different outlet. If you are using the DVI plug in on the monitor and get nothing, try the AGP plug in with an adapter if you have one. The RAM you are using is value RAM and one which has many different versions out there. You might try some other RAM. A bad CPU could also be the cause. Faulty MB is certainly a possibility.

I have an LCD monitor that has BOTH a DVI plug in AND the older plug in for AGP. The DVI side will not work, but the older plug in for older AGP cards works fine. I don't know, technically, what you call the older plug in on the back of monitor. That monitor is at View Sonic being repaired under warranty.

kgerm

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

Badge, I did try different monitors via d-sub. No dice.

Proph, I will try a different PSU.

mpilchfamily, yes I fliipped the switch and the mobo powers, then I press the power on the mobo and the fans spin on the cpu and on the gpu. I don't have any drives connected right now. I just have a stick of ram, gpu and cpu.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

Badge, I did try different monitors via d-sub. No dice.

Proph, I will try a different PSU.

mpilchfamily, yes I fliipped the switch and the mobo powers, then I press the power on the mobo and the fans spin on the cpu and on the gpu. I don't have any drives connected right now. I just have a stick of ram, gpu and cpu.

Thanks.

I know this is your first build. You probably don't have a lot of spare parts laying around, but that is the method I would use to solve the problem. I would take the processor out and put it in a MB I knew was working. If I got nothing but some lights and a few fans turning I would know I had a bad processor. I would RMA the processor to AMD. Drastic, but effective if the CPU is indeed your problem.