Copy and Paste?

January 2, 2005 12:13:33 PM

Hi all. I'm new to PocketPC. I bought a new Dell Axim x50 with winmobile 03
SE. I just switched from a Palm m515. I'm looking for basic cut and paste
abilities system wide. Is this possible? I can look it up in the Help, but
it seems to be referencing Pocket Excel, talking about copy and pasting
between cells and rows.

On my Palm, in any application, I can select text, and do a grafiti shortcut
to copy that text. Go into another application, and do a grafiti shortcut to
paste that text. For me, it would have been particularly usefule when
copying my registration information for all my ebooks when I transferred
them over from Palm to PocketPC.

Hopefully, I just overlooked it. Copy and Paste is pretty fundamental to any
computing environment.

TIA

--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

To email, use (first name)@(last name)web.net

More about : copy paste

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:53:22 PM

How did you get through the initial setup without learning to cut (or copy)
and paste using the tap and hold feature to bring up the right click
(context) menu? You can use that option in most all situations, or you can
use the ctrl x,c,v when you have a keyboard up. Transcriber also has cut,
copy and paste gestures. They were displayed in the intro screen the first
time you used transcriber, and will be every time until you check the don't
box.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Walt Basil" <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I'm new to PocketPC. I bought a new Dell Axim x50 with winmobile
03
> SE. I just switched from a Palm m515. I'm looking for basic cut and paste
> abilities system wide. Is this possible? I can look it up in the Help, but
> it seems to be referencing Pocket Excel, talking about copy and pasting
> between cells and rows.
>
> On my Palm, in any application, I can select text, and do a grafiti
shortcut
> to copy that text. Go into another application, and do a grafiti shortcut
> paste that text. For me, it would have been particularly usefule when
> copying my registration information for all my ebooks when I transferred
> them over from Palm to PocketPC.
>
> Hopefully, I just overlooked it. Copy and Paste is pretty fundamental to
any
> computing environment.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Walt Basil
> www.basilweb.net
>
> To email, use (first name)@(last name)web.net

January 2, 2005 2:57:21 PM

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 09:13:33 -0700, "Walt Basil"
<see_signature@for_address.com> removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

>Hi all. I'm new to PocketPC. I bought a new Dell Axim x50 with winmobile 03
>SE. I just switched from a Palm m515. I'm looking for basic cut and paste
>abilities system wide. Is this possible? I can look it up in the Help, but
>it seems to be referencing Pocket Excel, talking about copy and pasting
>between cells and rows.
>
>On my Palm, in any application, I can select text, and do a grafiti shortcut
>to copy that text. Go into another application, and do a grafiti shortcut to
>paste that text. For me, it would have been particularly usefule when
>copying my registration information for all my ebooks when I transferred
>them over from Palm to PocketPC.
>
>Hopefully, I just overlooked it. Copy and Paste is pretty fundamental to any
>computing environment.
>
>TIA

Tap and hold.

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
January 2, 2005 3:43:12 PM

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How did you get through the initial setup without learning to cut (or
> copy)
> and paste using the tap and hold feature to bring up the right click
> (context) menu? You can use that option in most all situations, or you can
> use the ctrl x,c,v when you have a keyboard up. Transcriber also has cut,
> copy and paste gestures. They were displayed in the intro screen the first
> time you used transcriber, and will be every time until you check the
> don't
> box.

Thanks to everyone who responded. To answer and ask a couple more questions:

I saw the initial setup, and I tried that method, but it did not work with
the application I was currently using (SplashID). Perhaps SplashID has it's
own method of copying a stored password or serial number, but the winmobile
way of doing it doesn't work.

Then I went into Messaging and thought I would try the tap and hold method
with some selected text in an email in there. Doesn't work. I select some
text, tap and hold, and that brings up the choices of New, Delete, Move...,
Reply, Reply All, Forward, Send/Receive, Mark as Unread, and Mark For
Download.

I see it works in Pocket Word, and somewhat in the eReader Pro

With my Palm, I am able to do the shortcut keystroke and the letter "C" to
copy, in any application, with any text selected or highlighted.

I see now I can bring up the keyboard in SplashID, highlight my serial
number, and use the Ctl-C using the keypad.

Being a former Palm user, I prefer to write in a selected area, not all
across my screen. I have no idea how much abuse the screen can handle. I've
always been overprotective of my screens (since my first PDA - a Newton) and
usually had a peice of Scotch 811 tape across the grafiti area of my Palm.
Maybe I should look into some screen-protectors and give them another shot.
I tried them on my Palm III years ago, and didn't like the resulting view of
the screen. Perhaps that has changed.

So is there any copy and paste utility that can be purchased separately that
will give me a more consistent copy ability?

Thanks,

--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

To email, use (first name)@(last name)web.net
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:17:21 PM

The tap/hold menu is the equivalent of <right-click> and can be
customized by the app programmer.

99% of the time, <Ctrl-C> and the other control combinations work
without issue.

In a couple of places (notably PIE) the "copy" option is a toolbar menu
selection.

While letter and block recognizer simply tell you to use the keyboard
for control characters, transcriber has gestures for copy/cut/paste/undo/etc

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:20:36 PM

>> protective of screens <<

Most damage comes from too much pressure followed by using a stylus with
a contaminated tip.

Practice to use the lightest possible touch and you screen _should_
survive the life of the device without protectors... three heavy use
devices over the past 5 years have.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
January 2, 2005 7:26:37 PM

Walt Basil wrote:
> I'm looking for basic cut and paste abilities system wide. Is this
> possible?

So as far as I know, yes. Works pretty much the same way as on your
desktop PC; both copying data between different apps, as well as moving
files around in file explorer.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:44:11 PM

"Walt Basil" <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote in message
| Hi all. I'm new to PocketPC. I bought a new Dell Axim x50 with
winmobile 03
| SE. I just switched from a Palm m515. I'm looking for basic cut and
paste
| abilities system wide. Is this possible? I can look it up in the
Help, but
| it seems to be referencing Pocket Excel, talking about copy and
pasting
| between cells and rows.
|
| On my Palm, in any application, I can select text, and do a grafiti
shortcut
| to copy that text. Go into another application, and do a grafiti
shortcut to
| paste that text. For me, it would have been particularly usefule when
| copying my registration information for all my ebooks when I
transferred
| them over from Palm to PocketPC.
|
| Hopefully, I just overlooked it. Copy and Paste is pretty fundamental
to any
| computing environment.
|
| TIA
|
| --
| Walt Basil
| www.basilweb.net
|
| To email, use (first name)@(last name)web.net

Did you try the same as in desktop Windows?
Ctrl-C , Ctrl-V and Ctrl-X on the keyboard.
January 3, 2005 12:58:37 AM

Walt Basil wrote:
> I've always been overprotective of my screens (since my first PDA - a
> Newton) and usually had a peice of Scotch 811 tape across the grafiti
> area of my Palm.

Same here, but then the rest of the screen still got banged up and
scratched to hell (think Bejeweled), so I switched to full-screen
protectors pretty quick. I am very happy with the Fellowes brand of screen
protectors, and I don't think I've ever used up a package of 12 sheets.

> Maybe I should look into some screen-protectors and
> give them another shot.

Go for it. Especially since most Pocket PCs don't come with a lid anymore.

> I tried them on my Palm III years ago, and
> didn't like the resulting view of the screen.

Should have used the ones designed for IIIc, even for monochromatic units.
That's what I did, and the "picture" was much better, as well the "feel"
of the tip on the surface.

Perhaps that has changed.

> So is there any copy and paste utility that can be purchased separately
> that will give me a more consistent copy ability?

Possibly, but using the on-screen keyboard's CTRL-C/X/V function works
pretty much all over the unit. Give it another shot before blowing away
your money. In general, I have found that such "utilities" are usually not
worth the money or the space they are occupying.
!