What happened to cause these network errors?

Added a new switch and tidied up by moving some connections to the new
switch and re-arranging others.

Suddenly email server wasn't delivering to the Novell server anymore,
users couldn't see certain folders or drive mappings.

Powered everything down then brought everything up again starting with
switches, then servers, then workstations and everything ok.

Are switches that susceptible to moving the connections around?

--
TonyL
2

    "Tony Lewis" <intothebin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Added a new switch and tidied up by moving some connections to the new
    > switch and re-arranging others.
    >
    > Suddenly email server wasn't delivering to the Novell server anymore,
    > users couldn't see certain folders or drive mappings.
    >
    > Powered everything down then brought everything up again starting with
    > switches, then servers, then workstations and everything ok.
    >
    > Are switches that susceptible to moving the connections around?
    >

    > --
    > TonyL

    I've seen this happen with an unmanaged Netgear switch where the forwarding
    table in the switch doesn't seem to relearn a MAC address when it appears on
    a different port, even though the device that has moved is transmitting into
    the new port.

    Cycling the power on the switch means it has to relearn its forwarding table
    and everything starts talking again.

    Pete

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:18:01 +0100, "Pete" <email@see.message.body>
    wrote:

    >"Tony Lewis" <intothebin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Added a new switch and tidied up by moving some connections to the new
    >> switch and re-arranging others.
    >>
    >> Suddenly email server wasn't delivering to the Novell server anymore,
    >> users couldn't see certain folders or drive mappings.
    >>
    >> Powered everything down then brought everything up again starting with
    >> switches, then servers, then workstations and everything ok.
    >>
    >> Are switches that susceptible to moving the connections around?
    >>

    >> --
    >> TonyL
    >
    >I've seen this happen with an unmanaged Netgear switch where the forwarding
    >table in the switch doesn't seem to relearn a MAC address when it appears on
    >a different port, even though the device that has moved is transmitting into
    >the new port.
    >
    >Cycling the power on the switch means it has to relearn its forwarding table
    >and everything starts talking again.

    Spot on - it was an unmanaged Netgear. Thanks for that info.

    --
    TonyL

Switch Ethernet Card Servers Networking