Need very easy and helpful advice for first build

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hello!

My conroe parts have arrived, now im very very very very very nervous. I'm afraid of putting wires where they dont belong or bad enough breaking the processor. I have the Maximum PC edition of building your own PC. Ive read several books not including this one. I want to build one because Im tired of spending over $2000 on a system, getting a warranty, then it goes bezerk after a year or it has parts that cannot be replaced. I want to build my own because I want to use the best parts and be able to replace parts at will and upgrade with no hassel or pay for a warranty thats useless. When It breaks I dont have to call a number lol.
Can anyone please help me with my nerves/gitters and please give me advice on putting the processor, thermal compound, mounting the processor on the mobo and mounting the mobo onto my case. My case also has USB ports, mic, power, and reset buttons. If I have a sound card, do I still plug in the mic thats on the front of my case? Any other advice not mentioned is also welcome.

I appreciate all help and knowledge to get me over the nerves and butterflies. Thank you

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You should start by thoroughly reading through any manuals or online instructions for your new stuff. Especially the motherboard manual.

I would also hit up RadioSmack and invest in a static grounding kit. They're not expensive and are a sound investment if you plan on tinkering with your new setup.

EDIT: And patience...patience

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
#1 - relax

#2 - find a friend who can help

#3 - building a PC is really very easy. There aren't many real danger spots that can fry something.

#4 - relax

#5 - Get the grounding kit. VERY good advice. Don't build on carpet.

#6 - The only only significant danger spot is the cpu cooling. Did you get the OEM Conroe (no fan) or the retail, pretty box, cute fan? This makes a big difference and the CPU / HSF interface is THE danger spot.

Post all your parts and specs here. These guys are really good. Expect to take a little abuse from them because, well, they like to abuse people... But we were all there building our first system all alone and sweating bullets. Hell, I've built 50+ systems but when I turned on my new X6800 system a few weeks ago I still held by breath. The anticipation and nerves makes the sweet sound of the boot worthwhile!

Post your specs.

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for now)
Intel D975XBXLRK - 304
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
ATI X1900XTX
74GB 10K Raptor HD
Soundblaster Audigy 2 SZ
NEC OEM DVD Burners (x2)
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case
Ultra X-Finity 600W SLi Certified PSU

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Parts:

E6300-Retail
Gigabyte-DS3
Corsair xms2 ddr2-533 latency:3 3-3-3-8 (awaiting shipment)
Soundblaster X-fi XM
graphics- havent picked one yet but leaning toward x1900xtx
hard drive- havent picked---undecided---either 1-250Gb or 2 harddrives (1) system files and all drivers (2) all games
Lightscribe 18x DVD-RW-R dual side

Could I work in a carpet room on a section thats hard wood floor? thats where my office desk is.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Parts:

E6300-Retail
Gigabyte-DS3
Corsair xms2 ddr2-533 latency:3 3-3-3-8 (awaiting shipment)
Soundblaster X-fi XM
graphics- havent picked one yet but leaning toward x1900xtx
hard drive- havent picked---undecided---either 1-250Gb or 2 harddrives (1) system files and all drivers (2) all games
Lightscribe 18x DVD-RW-R dual side

Could I work in a carpet room on a section thats hard wood floor? thats where my office desk is.

building a PC is very simple really. so first off, relax.

Here is the order i usually do things in:

0. Put PSU in case
1. Put memory into motherboard
2. Put CPU into Motherboard
3. Apply thermal compound and attach HSF (don't forget power)
4. Attach Motherboard to Case
5. Insert DVD ROM drives, floppy drives, and hard drives
6. Attach 24-pin ATX power cable to motherboard
7. Attach 4-pin power cable to motherboard
8. Attach Sound and Video Cards (if you are using PCIe, make sure to run a PCIe Power cable to the video card)
9. Attach any other PCI cards or motherboard peripherals that take up PCI slots
10. Run SATA/IDE/FLOPPY cables from motherboard to DVD ROM drives, Hard Drives, and Floppy Drives
11. Attach Power cables to DVD ROM drives, floppy, and hard drives
12. Attach auxillery case fans and power cables

i think that's it, i wrote that in a hurry, so someone feel free to chime in if i missed something.

Where you work really doesn't matter. I work on my living room floor, which is carpeted. Just make sure that you place anything with a circuit board backing on a non-static bag, like the one your motherboard will come in.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Your post was great until I read this:

Where you work really doesn't matter. I work on my living room floor, which is carpeted. Just make sure that you place anything with a circuit board backing on a non-static bag, like the one your motherboard will come in.

Please do not work with components on a carpeted floor. Make sure you have a ground nearby to touch before handling any parts. I think a grounding mat works well, but use something!
A wood floor creates little static. Carpet creates lots.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
8. Attach Sound and Video Cards (if you are using PCIe, make sure to run a PCIe Power cable to the video card)

What you mean run a PCIe Power cable to the video card, I didnt see anything to plug into my new vid card?

Thanks

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Many (but not all) better video cards need more power than the PCI-E bus can provide. These cards will have a power socket for a power-supply lead to plug into. Check your manual for the video card. It will say if there is one as well as the type of plug in to use. It is also possible that there is not one as well.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
There are a couple of other things as well...
Your DVD will have a sound cable that runs from the back of the unit to the motherboard (for integrated sound) or your sound card.
When you get the motherboard in the case, there are the front panel leads that need to be plugged in to the board. These are for:
Power switch (gotta have it).
LEDs for power and hard drive activity (nice to have).
Front panel USB, Firewire etc. (optional)
The combination of your case manual and motherboard manual will tell how these wires should be hooked up.
When in doubt, black wires in a computer are grounds (opposite of house wiring!).
I know this sounds like a lot, but take things one at a time and all will be well.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
...Can anyone please help me with my nerves/gitters and please give me advice on putting the processor, thermal compound, mounting the processor on the mobo and mounting the mobo onto my case. My case also has USB ports, mic, power, and reset buttons. If I have a sound card, do I still plug in the mic thats on the front of my case? Any other advice not mentioned is also welcome.
OK, maybe a few more hints:

The mobo mounts on stand-offs. Use exactly the same number of these brass stand-offs as there are mounting holes in the board, and in the same place. Check this twice. Before you tighten the mounting screws down, put a PCI card in its slot to make sure the mobo aligns well in the case. Then snug the screws down (don't tighten them like lug nuts!)

Use very little thermal paste on the cpu top. 3 grains of rice size. Get a sandwich bag and put your hand in it. Using a finger, spread the paste very thinly over the entire cpu top. The purpose here is to fill in any surface irregularities between the heat sink and the cpu with paste as opposed to air. You should not need much. Less is better than more.

Power and reset button wires go to the mobo, and have no polarity issues.
Mic will go to the sound card if you use one, the mobo if you don't.
USB connects to the motherboard on its own socket. The mobo manual will give you all these locations.

Before each step: Read the appropriate directions!
I still do this today even though I shouldn't have to. By doing this I rarely have a system fail to post the first time! It's a great feeling to build a system and have it start right up. :D

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Is there any static with plastic sandwich bag, when spreading thermal compounds on the CPU? It's a nice idea, if* there isnt.

Thanks Storm

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Your post was great until I read this:

Please do not work with components on a carpeted floor. Make sure you have a ground nearby to touch before handling any parts. I think a grounding mat works well, but use something!
A wood floor creates little static. Carpet creates lots.

Static... not really as big a problem as you make it seem ;)

Guess u'll cr@p your pants when i tell you to flash my bios i had the mobo sitting on a cardboard box with the CPU, memory, PSU, and a floppy hooked to it huh? Oh, and to turn it on i jumped the power pins with a screwdriver. :)

NOTE: please children, don't try that at home, i have years of experience that keeps me safe. And i know what i'm doing ;).

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Static... not really as big a problem as you make it seem ;)

Guess u'll cr@p your pants when i tell you to flash my bios i had the mobo sitting on a cardboard box with the CPU, memory, PSU, and a floppy hooked to it huh? Oh, and to turn it on i jumped the power pins with a screwdriver. :)

NOTE: please children, don't try that at home, i have years of experience that keeps me safe. And i know what i'm doing ;).

No skidmarks here...
Your NOTE makes my whole point. We are trying to help someone properly assemble an expensive computer who has never done this before.
Jumping the power pins hurts nothing.
Cardboard works fine.
Carrying around thousands of volts of static charge looking for a good ground is not too bright.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Is there any static with plastic sandwich bag, when spreading thermal compounds on the CPU? It's a nice idea, if* there isnt.

Thanks Storm
Nope, not a problem. Besides, you are touching a grounded system while you do this, right? It just keeps the cpu and your fingers clean. You could just wash your hands well enough to get the body oil off and use a bare finger. You can also use a small stiff straight edge to spread the paste. Some people just put a "BB" sized blob on the top center of the CPU and let the heat sink spread it when they clip it down. Your choice. I use a bag 'cause I like to be neat, and I can also make sure to get even coverage using as little paste as possible. When done I turn the bag inside out and throw it away. No muss, no fuss, no paste all over.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Can i use the credit card method when spreading the thermal paste? I'll probably be very conservative with it being its my first time. basically, keep the paste on the processor and away from the edges, right?

If I work on a carpet, I have the case by me, can I touch the case and repeat touching it to make sure im gorunded, or just move all components and go to a non-carpet floor?

Can I install the PSU before anything goes in? For the PSU, I line it up with the holes on the case at the top and screw it in? It doesnt go on any tracks or it basically sits on the cases crossbars? The ones that go across that the cases sides snap into to close the case?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Can i use the credit card method when spreading the thermal paste? I'll probably be very conservative with it being its my first time. basically, keep the paste on the processor and away from the edges, right?

If I work on a carpet, I have the case by me, can I touch the case and repeat touching it to make sure im gorunded, or just move all components and go to a non-carpet floor?

Can I install the PSU before anything goes in? For the PSU, I line it up with the holes on the case at the top and screw it in? It doesnt go on any tracks or it basically sits on the cases crossbars? The ones that go across that the cases sides snap into to close the case?
Yes, the credit card method works good. I myself, wouldn't recommend working on a carpet(though i've done it countless times)..kitchen table(put newspaper or something down)works better as everything is at eye level,and suck up to your wife/GF. Yes i install PSU first, as sometimes they're hard to get in around the HS/F and/or mobo.

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
See, relax, all you have to do is ask these guys. They are good!

By the way, I prefer the razor blade method to the credit card method for spreading thermal compound. Put a rice size drop on the middle of the proc, then use a blade to carefully cover all the surface. No finger oils, no plastic bag static (ask any former dime bagger, Hey I said former, there's a lot of static in a ziplock).

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
in all honestness, YOU probably should try the kitchen table for your first build, just to be on the safe side.

About thermal paste, you don't *HAVE* to spread it at all. If you put a "grain o' rice" sized dollup on the center of the CPU, when you clamp down the HSF, the pressure is so great that it really instantly spreads the compound all around. But if it's your first time and u want to be sure, bu all means spread it yourself... just don't let it leak over the edges of the CPU

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The problem with just touching the case is that it's not grounded either, unless you have the PSU installed and it plugged in with the PSU switched off.

When you get your new kit you're going to have a lot of anti-static bags. You can use those to work on top of as well, but I would still recommed not working off of a carpeted floor.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Can i use the credit card method when spreading the thermal paste? I'll probably be very conservative with it being its my first time. basically, keep the paste on the processor and away from the edges, right??
You can try, but the Socket775 cover will make it hard to do. If you don't like the bag/finger method, just put a BB sized amount in the middle and clamp the HSF down. Jack's pictures show more paste than I would use.

If I work on a carpet, I have the case by me, can I touch the case and repeat touching it to make sure im gorunded, or just move all components and go to a non-carpet floor??
I use an antistatic mat that I ground. Case on mat = grounded case. Touching a radiator, switch or outlet cover screw or a known grounded computer case does the same thing. Let's not freak out about carpet, just don't do it. Kitchen tables are popular building sites, less so with wives.

PSU is held by 4 screws on back of case. Hold the unit to the inside back and screw it in. The intake fan (if it has one) points down toward the motherboard, and an exhaust fan blows out the back of the case.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Ok, I got it with the PSU....sounds easy :)

So when the processor is in the socket, just put a BB size on, then the plate which as its put on will spread the paste? Then put the heatsink on...I was reading the instruction manual that describes the processor going onto the socket. Isnt that plate over the processor going to inhibit the heatsinks ability or the heat basically transfers from the processor--->paste-->plate---->heatsink.

Can I use the antistatic bag that the mobo comes in....have the mobo sit on the bag and put the processor/paste/heatsink/ram on mobo.

I forgot to ask: Do you take off the side panel of the case and line up the mobo and put the gold pins in the case.....then line up the pins with the mobo and screw it in the panel, then put panel back in case?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Ok, I got it with the PSU....sounds easy :)

So when the processor is in the socket, just put a BB size on, then the plate which as its put on will spread the paste? Then put the heatsink on...I was reading the instruction manual that describes the processor going onto the socket. Isnt that plate over the processor going to inhibit the heatsinks ability or the heat basically transfers from the processor--->paste-->plate---->heatsink.

Can I use the antistatic bag that the mobo comes in....have the mobo sit on the bag and put the processor/paste/heatsink/ram on mobo.

I forgot to ask: Do you take off the side panel of the case and line up the mobo and put the gold pins in the case.....then line up the pins with the mobo and screw it in the panel, then put panel back in case?

1. The plate (aka integrated heatspreader or IHS) is of great debate as far as inhibiting heat transfer. The idea is that the larger surface area of the HS vs a bare core, gives far more contact area with a heatsink, thus absorbing more heat. The other reason for the heatspreader is to protect the core during heatsink installation. Many cores have been damaged by careless heatsink installation, as the bare core is somewhat fragile. Also, some overclockers take their IHS off, hoping for lower temps(removal can ruin a CPU if not done very carefully, and shouldn't be attempted by most people), but losing the depth of the IHS can cause the heatsink to not clamp down as tightly, thereby causing heat transfer problems.

2. Yes, you can use the anti-static bag...that'll work just fine.

3. Yes, most cases already have the stand-offs(gold pins) in place(for a standard ATX mobo), but if you're mobo is a different form-factor, you may have to reposition them. Also, be very sure that none of the stand-offs come into direct contact with the motherboard anywhere else but where a screw-hole is(they can cause shorts on the mobo). GL :)