john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Whenever I turn off my computer (running Windows XP Professional) the
printer icon disappears from my Printer folder. I have to go to Services and
change the status of the Print Spooler to START for theprinter icon to
reappear. What can I do to ensure that the icons are there all the time?
Thanks in advance
John

"John" <cootestreet@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Whenever I turn off my computer (running Windows XP Professional) the
> printer icon disappears from my Printer folder. I have to go to Services
> and
> change the status of the Print Spooler to START for theprinter icon to
> reappear. What can I do to ensure that the icons are there all the time?
> Thanks in advance
> John

No 'Print Spooler' service and no printer access, it's that simple.
As a general rule your Print Spooler service should be set to automatic and
start when-ever the system boots.
There are some things that can prevent it even when set to automatic. One is
some of the new Lexmark Status Monitors.
Some moron at Lexmark decided that their Status Monitor should be added to
the 'Dependencies' for the Print Spooler service.
If the Lexmark printer is not connected at boot their Status Monitor does
not start and because it did not start, your Print Spooler service also
fails to start preventing other installed printers from being able to
function properly.