Every time when booting up XP, just before the graphical logo screen
appears, I'm now seeing a full-width white-blocks (e.g. DOS window type of
thing) progress bar.

The only time I *thought* I consistently saw this, was during the first
re-boot after the installation of software that demands a re-boot (e.g.
perhaps something that updates registry, etc.). I did not recall seeing it
for any other 'normal' boot's....

It this normal? Or is it indicative of something dodgy going on at every
re-boot now?

Thanks,

pawhe,

Are you perhaps using "hibernate". The grey blocks are always visible after a hibernate.

Pressing Shift and H tells windows XP to shutdown > hibernate

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
free powerpoint templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

> Every time when booting up XP, just before the graphical logo screen appears, I'm now seeing a full-width white-blocks
> (e.g. DOS window type of thing) progress bar.
>
> The only time I *thought* I consistently saw this, was during the first re-boot after the installation of software
> that demands a re-boot (e.g. perhaps something that updates registry, etc.). I did not recall seeing it for any other
> 'normal' boot's....
>
> It this normal? Or is it indicative of something dodgy going on at every re-boot now?
>
> Thanks,

Unfortunately not hibernating - it's always a proper "shutdown" selected
from "Start"->"Turn off computer".

Still a tad concerned..... thanks anyway.

"TAJ Simmons" <awesome@NOMORESPAMpowerpointbackgrounds.com> wrote in message
> pawhe,
>
> Are you perhaps using "hibernate". The grey blocks are always visible
> after a hibernate.
>
> Pressing Shift and H tells windows XP to shutdown > hibernate
>
> Cheers
> TAJ Simmons
> microsoft powerpoint mvp
>
> awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
> free powerpoint templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
> http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com
>
>> Every time when booting up XP, just before the graphical logo screen
>> appears, I'm now seeing a full-width white-blocks (e.g. DOS window type
>> of thing) progress bar.
>>
>> The only time I *thought* I consistently saw this, was during the first
>> re-boot after the installation of software that demands a re-boot (e.g.
>> perhaps something that updates registry, etc.). I did not recall seeing
>> it for any other 'normal' boot's....
>>
>> It this normal? Or is it indicative of something dodgy going on at every
>> re-boot now?
>>
>> Thanks,

> pawhe scribbled:

> Every time when booting up XP, just before the graphical logo screen
> appears, I'm now seeing a full-width white-blocks (e.g. DOS window
> type of thing) progress bar.
> The only time I *thought* I consistently saw this, was during the
> first re-boot after the installation of software that demands a
> re-boot (e.g. perhaps something that updates registry, etc.). I did
> not recall seeing it for any other 'normal' boot's....
> It this normal? Or is it indicative of something dodgy going on at
> every re-boot now?

It's normal; It's been part of Windows NT, W2K, and XP for years. Prior to
an SP2 install it's 'progress' would have been too quick for it to display.
After installing SP2 it does show up on most/many systems because of the way
XP SP2 loads...

--
mlvburke@xxxxxxxx.nz
Found Images