Easy DNS Question

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi all,

I have a very simple DNS question:

When querying my DNS server, NSLOOKUP tells me "DNS request
timed out. Timeout was 2 seconds," but then successfully
returns the requested name and address. This is true for
both authoritative and non-authoritative requests. For example:

> www.mysite.com
Server: ns1.mysite.com
Address: 123.123.123.123

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name: www.mysite.com
Address: 234.234.234.234

So, if I'm getting a correct answer, then who is timing
out? Who is providing the answer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When querying my DNS server, NSLOOKUP tells me "DNS request
> timed out. Timeout was 2 seconds," but then successfully
> returns the requested name and address. This is true for
> both authoritative and non-authoritative requests. For example:
>
> > www.mysite.com
>
> DNS request timed out.
> timeout was 2 seconds.
> Name: www.mysite.com
> Address: 234.234.234.234
>
> So, if I'm getting a correct answer, then who is timing
> out? Who is providing the answer?

Perhaps there are multiple choices, either on the
client configuration or the DNS server is using such
for forwarders, or the authoritative DNS zone has such.

The first one listed is timing out -- probably the latter,
the authoritative domain/zone DNS.

Try NSLookup using the default as you have done above,
then each DNS server in the (possible) chain:

You will IPConfig /all to know all the possibilities of
your client. Try each.

nslookup www.mysite.com DNS.Server.IP.Address

Then use each to get the NS records for the authoritative
DNS zone:

nslookup -ns=mysite.com DNS.Server.IP.Address

Now, try each of those directly.

nslookup -ns=mysite.com eachAuthoritative.DNS.Server.IP

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks a million, Herb. This is VERY helpful. I'll give
it a try (after the Game, of course)....