New build, having RAID issues...

theproffessor

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
OK, got all my components for my new build and I am having issues... with my floppy... I was going to set up two HDs in RAID 0 but I was unaware I needed a floppy drive to boot the computer. I have tried to hook up a few different floppy drives (some of questionable condition) in an attempt to get something to work with my new setup and none of them have worked. The drives will turn on, seem to be working, but when trying to set up a boot disk it will say there is no disk. I have not yet tried to use a different floppy cable, but I am somewhat at my wits end. Is there anyway to set up RAID without a floppy? Could I use another CD/DVD drive, or even a zip drive? I would hate to think that the mobo is the problem, since everything else on it seems to be working fine... any help/questions/ideas greatly appretiated.

I have a ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe for a mobo... I can't believe that just the floppy part of my mobo isn't working :?

The drives will turn on, seem to be working, but when trying to set up a boot disk it will say there is no disk. I have not yet tried to use a different floppy cable

To answer this part of your question, yes you have one of three things wrong:

A defective, non working floppy drive
A defective, non working floppy cable
The cable is hooked up wrong to the floppy/mb

HTH

You may also be able to use a usb stick. You will need to tell the bios to make it a FDD...Check the manual

PS.
if the light on the FDD stays green(lit).... its(cable) backwards
also try a different power cable.

Hope this helps

Mondoman

Splendid
would it be possible to use a USB floppy?
That's just what I was going to suggest. I have a USB-floppy that I used successfully to set up my RAID. In my BIOS, I did set "Drive A:" to "None" in the Standard CMOS Features screen, set the 1st boot drive choice as USB-FDD, disabled the onboard floppy controller under "Integrated Peripherals", and set up the drives for RAID, also under "Integrated Peripherals" (enabled SATA and specified which connectors to use for the RAID array).