Moving Internet DNS Zones to new server

HI

I have 2 windows 2000 servers running DNS for External Zones. ns1 is primary
and ns2 is secondary. We are adding a new server called ns3 that is going to
replace ns2. We will leave ns2 along side the new server for a week or 2,
ns3 will also have a new IP address so im not sure if this makes a
difference as i see in one of the steps it mentions putting the old servers
ip address on the new server, we will not be able to do that.

I have been looking at the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280061
it says i should copy the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Zones

I don't have "zones" under that key, i have checked another dns server and
neither does that. i have

enum
perameters
performance
security

Is this an error with the KB article. Could someone point me in the right
direction.

Thanks

Nick
5 answers Last reply
More about moving internet zones server

    In news:%23cS24vgDFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Nick <andync55@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > HI
    >
    > I have 2 windows 2000 servers running DNS for External Zones. ns1 is
    > primary and ns2 is secondary. We are adding a new server called ns3
    > that is going to replace ns2. We will leave ns2 along side the new
    > server for a week or 2, ns3 will also have a new IP address so im not
    > sure if this makes a difference as i see in one of the steps it
    > mentions putting the old servers ip address on the new server, we
    > will not be able to do that.
    > I have been looking at the KB article
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280061 it says i should copy the
    > following key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Zones
    > I don't have "zones" under that key, i have checked another dns
    > server and neither does that. i have
    >
    > enum
    > perameters
    > performance
    > security
    >
    > Is this an error with the KB article. Could someone point me in the
    > right direction.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nick

    Try this tool:

    Dean Wells' DNSDump (that's an underscore at the end):
    http://www.reskit.net/DNS/dnsdump.cm_

    --?
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --?
    =================================

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply but how do I use the tool? Nick has posted the
    original post on my behalf.

    I have copied the code found within that link and pasted it into a text
    file - renaming it to "DNSDump.bat". Simply double-clicking doesn't do
    anything so maybe I am using it wrong. Can you tell me what I'm supposed to
    do with it please.

    Thank you in advance.
    David.

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:%23lJI2TmDFHA.2220@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > In news:%23cS24vgDFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Nick <andync55@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    >> HI
    >>
    >> I have 2 windows 2000 servers running DNS for External Zones. ns1 is
    >> primary and ns2 is secondary. We are adding a new server called ns3
    >> that is going to replace ns2. We will leave ns2 along side the new
    >> server for a week or 2, ns3 will also have a new IP address so im not
    >> sure if this makes a difference as i see in one of the steps it
    >> mentions putting the old servers ip address on the new server, we
    >> will not be able to do that.
    >> I have been looking at the KB article
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280061 it says i should copy the
    >> following key
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Zones
    >> I don't have "zones" under that key, i have checked another dns
    >> server and neither does that. i have
    >>
    >> enum
    >> perameters
    >> performance
    >> security
    >>
    >> Is this an error with the KB article. Could someone point me in the
    >> right direction.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Nick
    >
    > Try this tool:
    >
    > Dean Wells' DNSDump (that's an underscore at the end):
    > http://www.reskit.net/DNS/dnsdump.cm_
    >

    > --?
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --?
    > =================================

    In news:uiPiYwoDFHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    DJ <david_jon@hotmail.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply but how do I use the tool? Nick has
    > posted the original post on my behalf.
    >
    > I have copied the code found within that link and pasted
    > it into a text file - renaming it to "DNSDump.bat".
    > Simply double-clicking doesn't do anything so maybe I am
    > using it wrong. Can you tell me what I'm supposed to do
    > with it please.

    Run from a command prompt.

    dnsdump.bat export C:\dns
    Exports the DNS files and registry settings to the C:\dns directory

    dnsdump.bat import C:\dns
    Imports the DNS files and registry settings from the C:\dns directory

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Thank you for your help Nick, Ace and Kevin.

    I successfully exported zone files from ns2 to the new ns3 without any
    problems. Thanks again.

    David Jon.

    In news:OzStAH3DFHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    DJ <david_jon@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Thank you for your help Nick, Ace and Kevin.
    >
    > I successfully exported zone files from ns2 to the new ns3 without any
    > problems. Thanks again.
    >
    > David Jon.

    Good to hear!

    Ace