Moving Internet DNS Zones to new server

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

HI

I have 2 windows 2000 servers running DNS for External Zones. ns1 is primary
and ns2 is secondary. We are adding a new server called ns3 that is going to
replace ns2. We will leave ns2 along side the new server for a week or 2,
ns3 will also have a new IP address so im not sure if this makes a
difference as i see in one of the steps it mentions putting the old servers
ip address on the new server, we will not be able to do that.

I have been looking at the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280061
it says i should copy the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Zones

I don't have "zones" under that key, i have checked another dns server and
neither does that. i have

enum
perameters
performance
security

Is this an error with the KB article. Could someone point me in the right
direction.

Thanks

Nick

In news:%23cS24vgDFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Nick <andync55@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> HI
>
> I have 2 windows 2000 servers running DNS for External Zones. ns1 is
> primary and ns2 is secondary. We are adding a new server called ns3
> that is going to replace ns2. We will leave ns2 along side the new
> server for a week or 2, ns3 will also have a new IP address so im not
> sure if this makes a difference as i see in one of the steps it
> mentions putting the old servers ip address on the new server, we
> will not be able to do that.
> I have been looking at the KB article
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280061 it says i should copy the
> following key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Zones
> I don't have "zones" under that key, i have checked another dns
> server and neither does that. i have
>
> enum
> perameters
> performance
> security
>
> Is this an error with the KB article. Could someone point me in the
> right direction.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Try this tool:

Dean Wells' DNSDump (that's an underscore at the end):
http://www.reskit.net/DNS/dnsdump.cm_

--?
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--?
=================================

DJ

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but how do I use the tool? Nick has posted the
original post on my behalf.

I have copied the code found within that link and pasted it into a text
file - renaming it to "DNSDump.bat". Simply double-clicking doesn't do
anything so maybe I am using it wrong. Can you tell me what I'm supposed to
do with it please.

Thank you in advance.
David.

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23lJI2TmDFHA.2220@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23cS24vgDFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Nick <andync55@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
>> HI
>>
>> I have 2 windows 2000 servers running DNS for External Zones. ns1 is
>> primary and ns2 is secondary. We are adding a new server called ns3
>> that is going to replace ns2. We will leave ns2 along side the new
>> server for a week or 2, ns3 will also have a new IP address so im not
>> sure if this makes a difference as i see in one of the steps it
>> mentions putting the old servers ip address on the new server, we
>> will not be able to do that.
>> I have been looking at the KB article
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280061 it says i should copy the
>> following key
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Zones
>> I don't have "zones" under that key, i have checked another dns
>> server and neither does that. i have
>>
>> enum
>> perameters
>> performance
>> security
>>
>> Is this an error with the KB article. Could someone point me in the
>> right direction.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nick
>
> Try this tool:
>
> Dean Wells' DNSDump (that's an underscore at the end):
> http://www.reskit.net/DNS/dnsdump.cm_
>

> --?
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --?
> =================================

In news:uiPiYwoDFHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
DJ <david_jon@hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply but how do I use the tool? Nick has
> posted the original post on my behalf.
>
> I have copied the code found within that link and pasted
> it into a text file - renaming it to "DNSDump.bat".
> Simply double-clicking doesn't do anything so maybe I am
> using it wrong. Can you tell me what I'm supposed to do
> with it please.

Run from a command prompt.

dnsdump.bat export C:\dns
Exports the DNS files and registry settings to the C:\dns directory

dnsdump.bat import C:\dns
Imports the DNS files and registry settings from the C:\dns directory

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

DJ

Thank you for your help Nick, Ace and Kevin.

I successfully exported zone files from ns2 to the new ns3 without any
problems. Thanks again.

David Jon.

In news:OzStAH3DFHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
DJ <david_jon@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> Thank you for your help Nick, Ace and Kevin.
>
> I successfully exported zone files from ns2 to the new ns3 without any
> problems. Thanks again.
>
> David Jon.

Good to hear!

Ace