ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED 5 (00000005) when trying to use DNSCMD..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
February 8, 2005 4:39:51 PM

I am trying to use dnscmd in a PHP script and I get the ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
5 (00000005) . The only way to resolve it is by making IUSR a member of the
administrator group. I have already checked to see if the FileSystem
permissions are what is causing the problem but it was not. I am running
W2k Server with IIS

Any ideas please.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:57:52 AM

In news:o BaMA4hDFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Al <alr@ihostuhost.net> made a post then I commented below
> I am trying to use dnscmd in a PHP script and I get the
> ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED 5 (00000005) . The only way to resolve it is by
> making IUSR a member of the administrator group. I have already
> checked to see if the FileSystem permissions are what is causing the
> problem but it was not. I am running W2k Server with IIS
>
> Any ideas please.

I don't know much about PHP development, but it sounds like you will need to
specify a specific account name to authenticate to perform what you are
trying to do. I believe you can do that in PHP, but I don't know how. Maybe
someone else can post that, or better, www.php.net has forums you can post
that question to and get a more qualified response.

--?
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--?
=================================
February 9, 2005 2:57:53 AM

Thanks for your reply,

I was testing the script on my laptop which is also running W2K Server
before testing it on the Production Server. On the laptop I have not setup
AD and not all the groups which are normally created such as DNSADMINS was
present, in order to make my script work I had to make the modifications
below which I found in the Security requirements of this page
http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/aspdns.htm Once these modifications were
done I was able to run the script and update my DNS

However, when I looked at the Production Server, all I had to do was to make
the IUSR account a member of the DNSADMINS group.

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uj9W4PmDFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In news:o BaMA4hDFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Al <alr@ihostuhost.net> made a post then I commented below
> > I am trying to use dnscmd in a PHP script and I get the
> > ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED 5 (00000005) . The only way to resolve it is by
> > making IUSR a member of the administrator group. I have already
> > checked to see if the FileSystem permissions are what is causing the
> > problem but it was not. I am running W2k Server with IIS
> >
> > Any ideas please.
>
> I don't know much about PHP development, but it sounds like you will need
> specify a specific account name to authenticate to perform what you are
> trying to do. I believe you can do that in PHP, but I don't know how.
Maybe
> someone else can post that, or better, www.php.net has forums you can post
> that question to and get a more qualified response.
>
> --?
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --?
> =================================

February 9, 2005 4:22:14 PM

In news:u25ev3mDFHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Al <alr@ihostuhost.net> made a post then I commented below
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> I was testing the script on my laptop which is also running W2K Server
> before testing it on the Production Server. On the laptop I have not
> setup AD and not all the groups which are normally created such as
> DNSADMINS was present, in order to make my script work I had to make
> the modifications below which I found in the Security requirements of
> this page http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/aspdns.htm Once these
> modifications were done I was able to run the script and update my DNS
>
> However, when I looked at the Production Server, all I had to do was
> to make the IUSR account a member of the DNSADMINS group.

I see. Will you be leaving the IUSR account part a member of DNSAdmins? That
would be a security concern.

Ace
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:30:33 PM

"Al" <alr@ihostuhost.net> wrote in message
news:o BaMA4hDFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I am trying to use dnscmd in a PHP script and I get the ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
> 5 (00000005) . The only way to resolve it is by making IUSR a member of
> the
> administrator group. I have already checked to see if the FileSystem
> permissions are what is causing the problem but it was not. I am running
> W2k Server with IIS
>
> Any ideas please.

What this script must do? Format disk c:?
Just publish it!
February 10, 2005 12:49:42 AM

Thanks for your reply Ace,

Do you know of a more secure way for me to be able to update the DNS records
for our clients. We need to be able to log into our customers machines
remotely, but since they have dynamic addresses we have written a script for
their machine to update our DNS server whenever their ip address changes.

"John Freeman" <quake@hotbox.ru> wrote in message

> "Al" <alr@ihostuhost.net> wrote in message
> news:o BaMA4hDFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I am trying to use dnscmd in a PHP script and I get the
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
> > 5 (00000005) . The only way to resolve it is by making IUSR a member of
> > the
> > administrator group. I have already checked to see if the FileSystem
> > permissions are what is causing the problem but it was not. I am
running
> > W2k Server with IIS
> >
> > Any ideas please.
> >
> What this script must do? Format disk c:?
> Just publish it!

February 10, 2005 6:37:53 PM

"Al" <alr@ihostuhost.net> wrote in message
news:o BaMA4hDFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I am trying to use dnscmd in a PHP script and I get the ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
> 5 (00000005) . The only way to resolve it is by making IUSR a member of
> the
> administrator group. I have already checked to see if the FileSystem
> permissions are what is causing the problem but it was not. I am running
> W2k Server with IIS
>
> Any ideas please.

well as your web page is running as the IUSR account, the only way to do it
is not run it as the IUSR account. Not sure if this will work, but deny
anonymous access to the site so people have to log in. This may cause some
issues with delegation though, unless the DNS server is also hosting the web
site.

I think.
!