DNS not working

Hi,

I have a Windows2003 sbs AD domain controller with dns server, this works
fine. I recently added a windows2000 server. (did a dcpromo with no errors
and this server has a global catalog of the domain) The two servers are
connected through a hardware VPN tunnel over the internet. If I change
something in users and computers, then the changes are replicated without an
error.
If I do a nslookup on the windows2003 server, he gives me the ip's of both
servers!

But if I bring the VPN tunnel down, the domain is not found anymore on the
windows2000 server, even a nslookup on the windows2000 self results in
Non-existent domain. I can log in to this server using de administrator
account for the AD, I can even change the policies.
the dns zones on the windows2003 are AD integrated and the windows2000
server is running the dns service.

How can I COPY the AD domain DNS zones from my windows2003 to my windows2000
so the domain is visible on the windows2000 server so the users on that
location can log on to the windows2000 server

tnx
Ben.
1 answer Last reply
More about working

    In news:uyFRuKsDFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Ben Van Cauwenberghe <ben.vancauwenberghe@nospam.be> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Windows2003 sbs AD domain controller with dns
    > server, this works fine. I recently added a windows2000
    > server. (did a dcpromo with no errors and this server has
    > a global catalog of the domain) The two servers are
    > connected through a hardware VPN tunnel over the
    > internet. If I change something in users and computers,
    > then the changes are replicated without an error.
    > If I do a nslookup on the windows2003 server, he gives me
    > the ip's of both servers!
    >
    > But if I bring the VPN tunnel down, the domain is not
    > found anymore on the windows2000 server, even a nslookup
    > on the windows2000 self results in Non-existent domain. I
    > can log in to this server using de administrator account
    > for the AD, I can even change the policies.
    > the dns zones on the windows2003 are AD integrated and
    > the windows2000 server is running the dns service.
    >
    > How can I COPY the AD domain DNS zones from my
    > windows2003 to my windows2000 so the domain is visible on
    > the windows2000 server so the users on that location can
    > log on to the windows2000 server
    >
    > tnx
    > Ben.

    Check the replication settings on the Win2k3 DNS zone.

    If the zone is Stored in Active Directory on the Win2k3 DNS, set the zone
    replication to all DCs in the Active Directory domain on the Win2k3 DNS
    zones.
    If replication is set to replicate to all DCs or DNS servers in the Active
    Directory forest, it won't replicate to Win2k, the zone information is in a
    AD Partition that doesn't replicate to Win2k.

    Do not manually add the AD zone to the Win2k DC, this zone will replicate to
    teh Win2k3 and cause a zone conflict.

    If the zone is NOT stored in Active Directory, you will have to use
    secondary zones on the Win2k DC.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Windows Server 2003 Windows 2000 DNS Servers Windows