DNS lookups from external clients

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am having problems getting clients that are not part of
my domain to use the active directory integrated DNS
servers in the domain. Is this to be as expected if they
do not belong to the domain. Is there a way that DNS can
be setup to permit the address range of these external
clients to do lookups on addresses in the domain despite
them not being members of the domain themselves?

Many thanks

"Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having problems getting clients that are not part of
> my domain to use the active directory integrated DNS
> servers in the domain. Is this to be as expected if they
> do not belong to the domain.

No (except for secure UPDATES.)

Using the DNS should work for any machine that can
reach the NIC(s) supporting DNS services on that
server.

> Is there a way that DNS can
> be setup to permit the address range of these external
> clients to do lookups on addresses in the domain despite
> them not being members of the domain themselves?

May we presume this is a multihome DNS server with
both a private and public IP address?

Chances are you have setup DNS server to only service requests
on the INTERNAL IP (NIC) address.

Change the IPs (on the DNS server properties) to allow
either ALL or the correct specific addresses.

If it only has private addresses you must find a way to
route to it or place a public DNS server for those purposes.

You do realize that external clients can only FIND this
DNS server if your parent domain delegates to you, right?

(That is they likely have their OWN, EXISTING DNS
server settings that search the Internet.)

--
Herb Martin