can the current (aftermarket) coolers take on quad core?

can they??

• Yes

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
what do you guys think? you think the quads are gonna be as cool (temperature wise) as conroe? or do you think we'll be seeing a massive heat increase?

personally, i think the first generation or two are gonna be nice, but then i think the heat is gonna start soaring. (dunno why, but inneficiencies me thinks)

Your opinion?

Ara

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
what do you guys think? you think the quads are gonna be as cool (temperature wise) as conroe? or do you think we'll be seeing a massive heat increase?

personally, i think the first generation or two are gonna be nice, but then i think the heat is gonna start soaring. (dunno why, but inneficiencies me thinks)

Your opinion?

Ara

I believe they should be more than adequate, as i read somewhere that Intel said Core temps should only rise around 20%. I'll try and root around for that link.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Intel will be first to market with their quad core (Kentsfield i believe) which should be out Q4 this year. AMD will be releasing 4x4 soon but that is not true quad core, it's just a dual CPU motherboard.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
yeah, even 2xconroes can't put out that much heat, but i would love to see the temps when some extreme quad core overclocking takes place and the number of watts these things would put out.

Ara

i should have put another option, sorry about that

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Your poll needs a third option. We won't really know if aftermarket coolers will be any good on the 4x4 till the thermal specs are released. For the most part we have seen temp drops when we went from single core to dual. There is also the 65mn size to cosider as well. Will this contribut to less of more heat? Another consideration... How much power will these new chips use? So you need to add a third choise of "wait and see".

No one said anything about 4x4. 4x4 is a platform and not a CPU. 4x4 will have more than one CPU anyway. Quad core is what the OP was talking about.

Well i beleive AMD will have the first Quad outby the end of the year. AMD and Intel have always had diffrent power consumption and heat issues. we shall see what happens.

Yet again you're wrong. Intel will be first to market with Quad Core. Read any comparison between AM2 and Core 2 Duo and you will see that it's AMD who has the power issues now.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If the top performing 120mm HSFs can already take on the 200W heat produced by D805 @60C I'm sure they can take the measily 120W by Kentsfield easily.

Of course in terms of producing good overclocks that would bring you back to the days of equipments used for OC'ing Smitherfield.

Nuff said.