Which DDR400 ram?

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I can't decide between DDR400 ram, I don't want value-ram/cheap ram, I want "performance" type ram, ram that can possibly be overclocked and has good timings. My price range is from $0-$210. The choices are on this page (I am buying from newegg): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2000170147+1052407862+1052308477&Subcategory=147&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Here's a comparison of ram I thought might be good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?SubCategory=147&CompareItemList=N82E16820146366%2CN82E16820146970%2CN82E16820146395%2CN82E16820146575
I am getting 2 gigs, so thats why those pages have 2x1GB sticks, if getting the 2 gigs seperately (by buying 2 1GB sticks, instead of a package with 2), then that's optional. You can choose from those, but really my only question is whether i should get:
Mushkin Standard
Mushkin Enhanced
OCZ Performance
Crucial
I know they are all good companies, but I can't decide. My guess is that they're all pretty good, they have the same timings (on the comparison page, see link above). And the Mushkin standard and enhanced look the same to me.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If you really want performance and the ability to OC...
Then your on the money with the Dual Channel. But you may want to try putting out a little more money and go with a lower latancy ram. But here is a fairly good set with lower latency and under $200 after MIR. Though they are not dual channel. That is if there are no cobatibility issues with your motherboard. I have heard of OCZ having issues with some boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227063

But you will have to shell out more money for RAM with similar timing and dual channel.

Due channel is handled by the mobo. Not the RAM.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If you really want performance and the ability to OC...
Then your on the money with the Dual Channel. But you may want to try putting out a little more money and go with a lower latancy ram. But here is a fairly good set with lower latency and under $200 after MIR. Though they are not dual channel. That is if there are no cobatibility issues with your motherboard. I have heard of OCZ having issues with some boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227063

But you will have to shell out more money for RAM with similar timing and dual channel.

Due channel is handled by the mobo. Not the RAM.

Then why do the manufactures lable some pairs of Ram as dual channel and with no dual channel designation?
FWI: I'm not trying to be sarcastic i would like to know. Please set me straight so that i am not giving out bad info. :oops:

It's just like manufacturers calling their graphics cards super OC + 37 Uber1337. It's just to make a product look better.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
So wheni go out to get a new stick of RAM i can get the same thing i fave now and my motherboad (supports dual channel) can run it in dual.
Yup. If the RAM is identical you shouldn't have problems. If the RAM is not identical it'll probably be ok as well

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
So wheni go out to get a new stick of RAM i can get the same thing i fave now and my motherboad (supports dual channel) can run it in dual.
Yup. If the RAM is identical you shouldn't have problems. If the RAM is not identical it'll probably be ok as well

u might have probs gettting it to work. speed and latencys do matter. and trying to get different types of ram to work in dual channel mode is def harder than getting pairs to work together. its not just blurb.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

u might have probs gettting it to work. speed and latencys do matter. and trying to get different types of ram to work in dual channel mode is def harder than getting pairs to work together. its not just blurb.

very rarely. But RAM doesn't have to be dual channel to run in dual channel. Just needs to be identical spec or at least very close.

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
On the question of dual channel, I remember nF2 boards didn't always work as advertised in dual channel mode, and OCZ had trouble, as did some Corsair. I think that's been ironed out since I haven't heard of new issues, one of which was the MB reporting incorrect latencies.
If you ask manufacturers if they test dual channel they get very funny on it and some claim to test all their memory, but it's really a question of binning the good ones I think. The only question I have now is will the MB still recognize dual channel if you add another same model stick in the third slot,
such as 2x512 plus 1G. They usually will with 2x512 plus 2x512.