My friend needs help!

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Ok, my friend just bought my old build from me when I upgraded. What was in the old build was:

ASUS Motherboard (dont remember exact model number) 4x AGP Slot
P4 2.4ghz Northwood Chip
2 Optical Drives
1 floppy drive
1 PATA Maxtor hard drive
Sound blaster Audigy Platinum
a 56k modem
MSI GeForce 4200 AGP 8x video card
420 watt PSU (i believe it was VANTEC or something, I know it wasn't a cheap brand)

He just upgraded the video card to an XFX Geforce 6800 XT AGP card a couple of days ago. He is having stability issues. At first it would just garble the image, he updated drivers to latest version didnt fix the problem. Then he downgraded to the drivers that came on the CD... no help. The manual for his 6800 says it requires a 500 watt PSU. I personally think this is BS (but I could be wrong).

Is this a power issue? Or just a driver problem or bad video card?

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Ok, my friend just bought my old build from me when I upgraded. What was in the old build was:

ASUS Motherboard (dont remember exact model number) 4x AGP Slot
P4 2.4ghz Northwood Chip
2 Optical Drives
1 floppy drive
1 PATA Maxtor hard drive
Sound blaster Audigy Platinum
a 56k modem
MSI GeForce 4200 AGP 8x video card
420 watt PSU (i believe it was VANTEC or something, I know it wasn't a cheap brand)

He just upgraded the video card to an XFX Geforce 6800 XT AGP card a couple of days ago. He is having stability issues. At first it would just garble the image, he updated drivers to latest version didnt fix the problem. Then he downgraded to the drivers that came on the CD... no help. The manual for his 6800 says it requires a 500 watt PSU. I personally think this is BS (but I could be wrong).

Is this a power issue? Or just a driver problem or bad video card?

I shouldn't think you'd need a 500W PSU for that card seeing as though the XT is a fairly low end model.

Is it garbled all the time? I shouldn't think the 4x AGP 8x AGP thing would be a problem but have you checked that the voltage for the card and mobo is the same?

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I somehow forgot to mention the most important part. Now his computer is locking up and sometimes it restarts if he plays BFME2. (battle for middle-earth 2)