Bad graphic card?

papapanda

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I recently reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition SP2) on my computer. Everything was going fine untill I tried to load up a game. At that instant my computer froze. I thought I needed to download the latest driver. So I went to Nvidia.com and downloaded and installed the new driver. I reset my computer then tried again. Same thing. It wouldn't even get me to the login screen. Is it a bad graphics card or is something worse wrong with my computer?

I recently reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition SP2) on my computer. Everything was going fine untill I tried to load up a game. At that instant my computer froze. I thought I needed to download the latest driver. So I went to Nvidia.com and downloaded and installed the new driver. I reset my computer then tried again. Same thing. It wouldn't even get me to the login screen. Is it a bad graphics card or is something worse wrong with my computer?

I have seen bad RAM cause this very thing. Try removing one stick at a time. Or try other RAM. HTH.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I'm not sure why it might work for you, but lately my 9600XT has been freezing almost immediately (generally on the menus) if I play in full-screen mode on most of my games. If I try it in windowed mode, it seems to work--it sucks--but it works. Try running in windowed mode and see if you can get to play until you find a permanent fix.

papapanda

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'll have to try that when I get home tomorrow. But is there a way to change the video options w/o running the game? Because my computer freezes almost immediatly after loading the game. I can't even get to the main menu. Also does the slot the ram is affect it at all? I just put some heat spreaders on both RAM sticks but I think that won't affect it...

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Depends on the game...almost everything I play has a graphics configuration separate from the executable for the game. Check your Start panel and find your game's folder in All Programs...might be under "Setup", or "Configuration", or "Configure "[name of game]". If it's there, you'll hopefully find a "Run in windowed mode" option, or something similar.

I don't think the heat spreaders would do anything, unless they somehow shorted something out...never heard of that happening though. Maybe someone else might know a little more about the chances of that occuring. It is possible that you have a bad slot however...try a different one and see what you come up with.

papapanda

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Ok I changed the slots where the ram was and it worked... For about 15 mins. Then the same thing happened. Totally forgot about putting it in Window mode. :( But now when I load Windows I get this "SLI Multi GPU Rendering Has been disabled" I only have one graphics card and the SLI card is switched to normal.

IVXIFiReFlY

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
This sometimes happens with wrong memory timings even if they are default thay could be wrong, i see u use AN8 Fatality but what about ram..... try to modify latency and see if anything changes, mostly this problems appears if you use standard (ussual) memory.....

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Ok I changed the slots where the ram was and it worked... For about 15 mins. Then the same thing happened. Totally forgot about putting it in Window mode. :( But now when I load Windows I get this "SLI Multi GPU Rendering Has been disabled" I only have one graphics card and the SLI card is switched to normal.

Try windowed mode!!