Sign in with
Your question

Bad graphic card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2006 11:39:35 PM

I recently reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition SP2) on my computer. Everything was going fine untill I tried to load up a game. At that instant my computer froze. I thought I needed to download the latest driver. So I went to Nvidia.com and downloaded and installed the new driver. I reset my computer then tried again. Same thing. It wouldn't even get me to the login screen. Is it a bad graphics card or is something worse wrong with my computer?

More about : bad graphic card

a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2006 11:59:52 PM

Quote:
I recently reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition SP2) on my computer. Everything was going fine untill I tried to load up a game. At that instant my computer froze. I thought I needed to download the latest driver. So I went to Nvidia.com and downloaded and installed the new driver. I reset my computer then tried again. Same thing. It wouldn't even get me to the login screen. Is it a bad graphics card or is something worse wrong with my computer?

I have seen bad RAM cause this very thing. Try removing one stick at a time. Or try other RAM. HTH.
August 19, 2006 12:09:13 AM

You may want to try to set AGP(You have an agp slot ?) speed from 8x to 4x , if possible.
Related resources
August 19, 2006 12:11:47 AM

Nope no AGP. Only PCI Express.
August 19, 2006 12:47:34 AM

I'm not sure why it might work for you, but lately my 9600XT has been freezing almost immediately (generally on the menus) if I play in full-screen mode on most of my games. If I try it in windowed mode, it seems to work--it sucks--but it works. Try running in windowed mode and see if you can get to play until you find a permanent fix.
August 19, 2006 4:44:20 AM

I'll have to try that when I get home tomorrow. But is there a way to change the video options w/o running the game? Because my computer freezes almost immediatly after loading the game. I can't even get to the main menu. Also does the slot the ram is affect it at all? I just put some heat spreaders on both RAM sticks but I think that won't affect it...
August 19, 2006 5:49:25 AM

Depends on the game...almost everything I play has a graphics configuration separate from the executable for the game. Check your Start panel and find your game's folder in All Programs...might be under "Setup", or "Configuration", or "Configure "[name of game]". If it's there, you'll hopefully find a "Run in windowed mode" option, or something similar.

I don't think the heat spreaders would do anything, unless they somehow shorted something out...never heard of that happening though. Maybe someone else might know a little more about the chances of that occuring. It is possible that you have a bad slot however...try a different one and see what you come up with.
August 20, 2006 7:09:22 AM

Ok I changed the slots where the ram was and it worked... For about 15 mins. Then the same thing happened. Totally forgot about putting it in Window mode. :(  But now when I load Windows I get this "SLI Multi GPU Rendering Has been disabled" I only have one graphics card and the SLI card is switched to normal.
August 22, 2006 8:47:58 AM

Quote:
...Windows XP...
...is something worse wrong with my computer?

*cough* :p 

:roll:
August 22, 2006 11:24:56 AM

This sometimes happens with wrong memory timings even if they are default thay could be wrong, i see u use AN8 Fatality but what about ram..... try to modify latency and see if anything changes, mostly this problems appears if you use standard (ussual) memory.....
August 23, 2006 12:49:23 AM

Quote:
Ok I changed the slots where the ram was and it worked... For about 15 mins. Then the same thing happened. Totally forgot about putting it in Window mode. :(  But now when I load Windows I get this "SLI Multi GPU Rendering Has been disabled" I only have one graphics card and the SLI card is switched to normal.

Try windowed mode!!
!