Windows 2000 DNS not working properly

I have a Windows 2000 Server that has a DNS zone created for my Active
Directory Domain. I have added a host for a partiular server. From a client
pc that's running Windows 2000 when i try and ping the host by name, it does
not reply back. Pinging by the IP address i get the reply back. On the 2000
server i try and ping that host by name and i get a response back. On the
2000 client machine my primary dns server is the 2000 server's ip address
address. I don't understand why i can't ping the host that i have created in
DNS. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

I forgot to mention that the 2000 client is not joined to the domain, its
just in a workgroup and uses the 2000 server's DNS. Does the 2000 client have
to be joined to the domain in order for me to ping a host in DNS from the
client?

"smith777" wrote:

> I have a Windows 2000 Server that has a DNS zone created for my Active
> Directory Domain. I have added a host for a partiular server. From a client
> pc that's running Windows 2000 when i try and ping the host by name, it does
> not reply back. Pinging by the IP address i get the reply back. On the 2000
> server i try and ping that host by name and i get a response back. On the
> 2000 client machine my primary dns server is the 2000 server's ip address
> address. I don't understand why i can't ping the host that i have created in
> DNS. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Are you using DHCP or static IP addresses for the client?