DNS Set up

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 14, 2005 6:33:32 PM

Hi All

A very simple question to you all.

We have installed WIN2003 on one machine and that machines got one public
static IP. We hosted our webcontent on that machine.
We are using (zoneedit) as DNS for our domain name which redirect or forward
all requests to our IP.

Now we want to remove zoneedit and want to use our own DNS, so dns should be
like DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM. DNS2.MYDOMAIN.COM.

As I mentioned earlier we have only server with 2003 installed running IIS
and a public IP.

How we can configure that machine to work as independent DNS server. so if
we register any other domain in future we do not need to give any other DNS
names as we can use our own one.

To my assumptions there should be another DNS present on net with the entry
of DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM who knows where this domain located.

Kind Regards

More about : dns set

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:33:33 PM

In news:enJkYoqEFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
F@yy@Z <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi All
>
> A very simple question to you all.
>
> We have installed WIN2003 on one machine and that
> machines got one public static IP. We hosted our
> webcontent on that machine.
> We are using (zoneedit) as DNS for our domain name which
> redirect or forward all requests to our IP.
>
> Now we want to remove zoneedit and want to use our own
> DNS, so dns should be like DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM.
> DNS2.MYDOMAIN.COM.
>
> As I mentioned earlier we have only server with 2003
> installed running IIS and a public IP.
>
> How we can configure that machine to work as independent
> DNS server. so if we register any other domain in future
> we do not need to give any other DNS names as we can use
> our own one.
>
> To my assumptions there should be another DNS present on
> net with the entry of DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM who knows where
> this domain located.

I looked for the question in your post but I fail to see it.
That said, you can host your own public DNS zone with one IP address.
Unfortunately, you need a second DNS server on another IP address for domain
registration with most registrars. I believe zoneedit will also host a
secondary zone for you. That would give you the needed two public DNS server
addresses for domain registration.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"F@yy@Z" <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> A very simple question to you all.

Not really.

> We have installed WIN2003 on one machine and that machines got one public
> static IP. We hosted our webcontent on that machine.
> We are using (zoneedit) as DNS for our domain name which redirect or
forward
> all requests to our IP.
>
> Now we want to remove zoneedit and want to use our own DNS, so dns should
be
> like DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM. DNS2.MYDOMAIN.COM.

You would be better served in almost all cases to just move
PUBLIC DNS to your REGISTRAR.

> As I mentioned earlier we have only server with 2003 installed running IIS
> and a public IP.

For one reason, you are supposed to have 2 (or more) DNS
servers as a business rule in most public zones (e.g., .Com)

> How we can configure that machine to work as independent DNS server. so if
> we register any other domain in future we do not need to give any other
DNS
> names as we can use our own one.

Huh? What are you really asking above?

Make the machine a DNS serve. You will still have to add
any NEW zones you purchase or add any records (A-host etc.)
which you need such as WWW, FTP, etc.

> To my assumptions there should be another DNS present on net with the
entry
> of DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM who knows where this domain located.

The main such DNS is called the Primary. It is your job
to arrange for the Primary (place where the records are
added/changed) and enough Secondaries (authoritative but
read only) DNS servers to provide reliable service.
!