Juniper's Twin Lamp weirdness...

I have this mod installed, though the character I'm currently playing is far
too young to start the quests, I think. Anyhow, I just had a strange
problem involving the mod. I saved the game just outside the Redas
Ancestral tomb, south of Molag Mar. (Going after the Redas Robe of Deeds,
one of my favorite must-have's.) Encountered a Flame Atronach inside, which
wiped me out - apparently I'm not quite ready for these things yet. Anyhow,
when I tried to reload the recent save, I got an error message - the kind
that doesn't give you a choice, just force-quits you. I tried twice more to
reload that save game, and got the same thing. Then I noticed that the
error message was something involving a script in the Twin Lamps mod. (It
just had "TL_something", my only clue.) So I un-checked the mod and tried
again. This time, it loaded fine. Only, things got weird. Every time I
got into battle, I'd hear some guy shout "Twin Lamp scum!" Okay, I know the
sound comes from the Twin Lamps mod, I checked the install folder. But who
and where was this guy? It then occurred to me that it was not some enemy,
but my trusty companion Hilda, having taken on a decidedly more masculine
voice when talking trash at Cliff Racers. When I talked to her, she greeted
me with some thanks about taking care of all of them. (whoever "them" is...)
Anyhow, dialogue clearly related to the Twin Lamps mod, which is weird,
because I just uninstalled it. Is there maybe a character in Twin Lamps
named Hilda that's somehow conflicting with my Hilda? Is there some major
event involving the Redas Tomb or the Ashlanders camped near it? Having
never played the mod before, I don't know, but it did cause me to almost
lose my save game, so I'm understandably concerned. Anyone know what's
going on?

It gets weirder. Apparently now every NPC in the game gives the same
greeting text as Hilda, along with the voice saying "We must end slavery in
Morrowind. Please take a flyer." Is there any way to restore this game to
its proper state? I don't want to hear "Twin Lamp scum!" from Hilda every
time I get in a fight. How the heck did this get so screwed up?

Arrrrgh! This game is fubar'd. Now all the silt striders and ship captains
are refusing service for some reason. (Didn't check guild guides, but I'll
bet they're screwed too. The walk from Molag Mar to the nearest Mage's
Guild is not something I feel like trying just to test a theory.) And I met
a Khajit in the city who wanted to Travel Together with me, only when I
clicked on Travel Together in the dialogue, it gave me a choice of Yes or
No. Whichever I clicked, it just asked the same yes/no question over and
over, and I was stuck in the dialogue window and couldn't get out.
(Fortunately, I figured out the "Goodbye" command in the console. Necessity
forces you to learn new tricks...) If anybody knows any fancy trick to
repair a screwed up save game, please help. The previous save is so far
back it's depressing...

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Arrrrgh! This game is fubar'd. Now all the silt striders and ship
> captains are refusing service for some reason. (Didn't check guild
> guides, but I'll bet they're screwed too. The walk from Molag Mar to
> the nearest Mage's Guild is not something I feel like trying just to
> test a theory.) And I met a Khajit in the city who wanted to Travel
> Together with me, only when I clicked on Travel Together in the
> dialogue, it gave me a choice of Yes or No. Whichever I clicked, it
> just asked the same yes/no question over and over, and I was stuck in
> the dialogue window and couldn't get out. (Fortunately, I figured out
> the "Goodbye" command in the console. Necessity forces you to learn
> new tricks...) If anybody knows any fancy trick to repair a screwed
> up save game, please help. The previous save is so far back it's
> depressing...

I had a similar problem yesterday after removing the Vivec expansion mod.
Every character I met greeted me with a message about 'acts of terrorism
against Dwemer temples' or some such. I ran TesTool...that cured it.

> I had a similar problem yesterday after removing the Vivec expansion mod.
> Every character I met greeted me with a message about 'acts of terrorism
> against Dwemer temples' or some such. I ran TesTool...that cured it.

Yeah, I don't actually WANT to remove Twin Lamps, but I can't load this save
game unless I do. But even then, though the game loads, it's so screwed up
it's nearly unplayable. (I will not continue to play this save if I can't
use the travel services, and I have to use the console to escape from NPC
dialogues. The weird greeting thing was bad enough, but the rest has a
serious impact on the game...

You can fix a saved game with TesTool? I thought it was just to merge
levelled lists in mods. I'll have to look into that...

Angof wrote:

> I had a similar problem yesterday after removing the Vivec expansion mod.
> Every character I met greeted me with a message about 'acts of terrorism
> against Dwemer temples' or some such. I ran TesTool...that cured it.

I've had horrible things happen after removing mods as well (trying to
get rid of Havish mid-game was fun....), I've come to the conclusion
that its best to just ignore whatever you didn't like and leave the mod
installed until you start a new character.

Why did you remove Vivec Expanded btw, I really like that mod. The old
version anyway, I've not tried the new one yet.

Pete MC wrote:
> Angof wrote:
>

>> I had a similar problem yesterday after removing the Vivec expansion
>> mod. Every character I met greeted me with a message about 'acts of
>> terrorism against Dwemer temples' or some such. I ran TesTool...that
>> cured it.
>
> I've had horrible things happen after removing mods as well (trying to
> get rid of Havish mid-game was fun....), I've come to the conclusion
> that its best to just ignore whatever you didn't like and leave the
> mod installed until you start a new character.
>
> Why did you remove Vivec Expanded btw, I really like that mod. The old
> version anyway, I've not tried the new one yet.

I'm trying to get my FPS up...I do like the mod...Vivec is bland without it.

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>> I had a similar problem yesterday after removing the Vivec expansion
>> mod. Every character I met greeted me with a message about 'acts of
>> terrorism against Dwemer temples' or some such. I ran TesTool...that
>> cured it.
>
> Yeah, I don't actually WANT to remove Twin Lamps, but I can't load
> this save game unless I do. But even then, though the game loads,
> it's so screwed up it's nearly unplayable. (I will not continue to
> play this save if I can't use the travel services, and I have to use
> the console to escape from NPC dialogues. The weird greeting thing
> was bad enough, but the rest has a serious impact on the game...
>
> You can fix a saved game with TesTool? I thought it was just to merge
> levelled lists in mods. I'll have to look into that...

You can fix dialog problems for sure. Since I removed Vivec mod I have
disabled a couple others. I then found everybody was saying "I'm a blue
fairy" and you could only select 'Goodbye'. Once again TesTool sorted it
out.

Angof wrote:

> Pete MC wrote:
> > Angof wrote:
> >

> >> I had a similar problem yesterday after removing the Vivec expansion
> >> mod. Every character I met greeted me with a message about 'acts of
> >> terrorism against Dwemer temples' or some such. I ran TesTool...that
> >> cured it.
> >
> > I've had horrible things happen after removing mods as well (trying to
> > get rid of Havish mid-game was fun....), I've come to the conclusion
> > that its best to just ignore whatever you didn't like and leave the
> > mod installed until you start a new character.
> >
> > Why did you remove Vivec Expanded btw, I really like that mod. The old
> > version anyway, I've not tried the new one yet.
>
> I'm trying to get my FPS up...I do like the mod...Vivec is bland without it.

I know what you mean, it makes my box chug and swap something terrible
but I can't do without it now, as you say Vivec just isn't the same
without it. I think I'll have to hold off upgrading to the new improved
version until I've beefed up my system though!

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:16:46 +0000, Pete MC
<nomorespam@youbastids.com> wrote:

>> I had a similar problem yesterday after removing the Vivec expansion mod.
>> Every character I met greeted me with a message about 'acts of terrorism
>> against Dwemer temples' or some such. I ran TesTool...that cured it.
>
>I've had horrible things happen after removing mods as well (trying to
>get rid of Havish mid-game was fun....), I've come to the conclusion
>that its best to just ignore whatever you didn't like and leave the mod
>installed until you start a new character.

Speaking of Havish I've found the secret library in the Hall of
Justice - how do you get a certain book out without either getting
kicked out of the Temple or how do you get yourself re-instated in the
Temple once booted?

I've had both invisibility and Chameleon 100+ % and still got booted
each time...

> Speaking of Havish I've found the secret library in the Hall of
> Justice - how do you get a certain book out without either getting
> kicked out of the Temple or how do you get yourself re-instated in the
> Temple once booted?
>
> I've had both invisibility and Chameleon 100+ % and still got booted
> each time...

Are you in Sneak mode? Invisibility is useless for stealing things, so
don't bother. (Invisibility makes you totally invisible so you can sneak
past people, but the second you touch anything, it deactivates, so you can't
use it to actually steal anything.) Chameleon 100% will help, but you have
to actually be in sneak mode to steal something without getting caught. (Or
wait until nobody is within eye-sight, but that's not always an option.) If
you're on the PC, (which I assume you are since you mentionned Havish; I
don't think you can use mods in the console version), the default key for
sneaking is Ctrl. You'll see your character in a crouched position and the
Sneak icon will appear next to your active spell. If the Sneak icon does
not appear, it means somebody can see you, though with 100% Chameleon, you
should be able to be completely undetected, even if your Sneak ability is
very low.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 01:13:08 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Are you in Sneak mode? Invisibility is useless for stealing things, so
>don't bother. (Invisibility makes you totally invisible so you can sneak
>past people, but the second you touch anything, it deactivates, so you can't
>use it to actually steal anything.) Chameleon 100% will help, but you have
>to actually be in sneak mode to steal something without getting caught. (Or
>wait until nobody is within eye-sight, but that's not always an option.) If
>you're on the PC, (which I assume you are since you mentionned Havish; I
>don't think you can use mods in the console version), the default key for
>sneaking is Ctrl. You'll see your character in a crouched position and the
>Sneak icon will appear next to your active spell. If the Sneak icon does
>not appear, it means somebody can see you, though with 100% Chameleon, you
>should be able to be completely undetected, even if your Sneak ability is
>very low.

All this is very valuable - and I've had nothing but trouble in
Morrowind with sneak. But there WAS a bookshelf close by to the
location I hid behind to steal the book...finished Havish tonight -
very nice finish- got killed by the knights befre a realized you'er
not supposed to be fighting them... :)

TRENDING THREADS