Creating a port

In one application, I have users print to a file instead of a printer, and
the file is copied to the LPT port later.

I have the users save the file in a specified folder with a random name.
Inevitably, however, the user does not know what to name the file, or picks
the wrong folder.

How would I go about setting up a port that saved the file in a folder I
specify, with a random name?

Thanks!!
HC

"HC" <e01@removethis.toao.net> wrote in message

> In one application, I have users print to a file instead of a printer, and
> the file is copied to the LPT port later.
>
> I have the users save the file in a specified folder with a random name.
> Inevitably, however, the user does not know what to name the file, or
picks
> the wrong folder.
>
> How would I go about setting up a port that saved the file in a folder I
> specify, with a random name?

1. This depends on the OS. Some allow
Administrator control of folders, others not.
2. You would continue to face the problem
of users recognizing "random" filenames. It
may be more practical to teach users to
give the files they create names that suggest
what the contents are.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

On 9-Jul-2005, "HC" <e01@removethis.toao.net> wrote:

> In one application, I have users print to a file instead of a printer, and
> the file is copied to the LPT port later.
>
> I have the users save the file in a specified folder with a random name.
> Inevitably, however, the user does not know what to name the file, or picks
> the wrong folder.
>
> How would I go about setting up a port that saved the file in a folder I
> specify, with a random name?

Try
http://lpr.brooksnet.com/printingspooler.html
for starters, there are other spoolers with other/different features.
Havn't tried it but seems you can download a trial.
Re unique filename, try a date / time of creation approach,
or a random generated number.
With Drag-and-Drop <drag-and-drop-printing.html>, you can simply drag a "printer
ready" file over a "Virtual Printer Port,"
bypassing the Windows print driver. This spools files without any modification to the
file.