Sign in with
Your question

Staples computer, no power?

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2006 1:45:36 AM

Hey there, just a few days ago my brother purchased a new computer from staples. Today we set it up. The vga cable pins were bent so we went to the store and went to get a new monitor. I hooked up the new computer, mouse, keyboard, monitor and power cable. When I turned on the switch on the back I did not hear anything come on. I pressed the power button and nothing happened. The switch, which should be on '|' does not make the system turn on, not putting the switch to '0'. I opened it up and even when I turn the switch to '|' I cannot see the power light come on on the motherboard. From what I see on the motherboard I cannot even see a light but i'm sure there is one. Regardless there is not power to the computer. I'm going to be taking it back to the store tommorow but I was just wondering if anyone has an idea what the problem is?

More about : staples computer power

August 19, 2006 3:09:40 AM

Quote:
Hey there, just a few days ago my brother purchased a new computer from staples. Today we set it up. The vga cable pins were bent so we went to the store and went to get a new monitor. I hooked up the new computer, mouse, keyboard, monitor and power cable. When I turned on the switch on the back I did not hear anything come on. I pressed the power button and nothing happened. The switch, which should be on '|' does not make the system turn on, not putting the switch to '0'. I opened it up and even when I turn the switch to '|' I cannot see the power light come on on the motherboard. From what I see on the motherboard I cannot even see a light but i'm sure there is one. Regardless there is not power to the computer. I'm going to be taking it back to the store tommorow but I was just wondering if anyone has an idea what the problem is?

You bought it at Staples/Business Depot. :) 

Sounds like a dead box. Exchange it.
August 19, 2006 3:24:37 AM

Shadowduck is right, exchange the thing. It's not worth bothering with.
Related resources
August 19, 2006 3:29:31 AM

yea i smelled the back of the psu, smells burnt. f&%kin staples selling used dead compurters.... they could be sued for that lol
August 19, 2006 3:38:37 AM

. . . I feel bad even putting this out there . . . You did push the power on button on the front of the case right? (I know, I know, almost sounds condescending even as I read it back to myself). Plus if there is a small red switch in the on the back of the power supply, one setting should read 115 and the other 230, if there is one and you live in the U.S. just make sure it's set to 115.

Other than that, let Staples deal with it.
August 19, 2006 3:52:08 AM

yea i see it, it's set to 115, and i live in Canada so i'd assume it's the same. yes, no offence but im no noob, i've built my own comp so I know what I'm doing. back to staples it will go.
August 19, 2006 3:54:19 AM

Quote:
yea i see it, it's set to 115, and i live in Canada so i'd assume it's the same. yes, no offence but im no noob, i've built my own comp so I know what I'm doing. back to staples it will go.

I figured as much, but there is always that one person . . . :D 
!