home page does not load automatically

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 15, 2005 9:09:48 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my internet connection and there are similar
problems with some other desktops in my organization. On mine, I have a home
page defined (yahoo.com), but whenever I open the browser or hit the home
button, I go to yahoo.com but the page does not load automatically. It comes
up completely blank, no errors. I have to hit the refresh every time. I'm
running XP home edition. If I log in as another usre on the same desktop, I
have no problem, so it's something about one specific user profile.

Also, in work, on Win 2000 desktops, I have experienced a problem with
certain web sites failing to load. Looks like a DNS problem because it
usually results in a DNS error message. I've tried to flush the dns cache,
but that doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas for either of these problems?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:32:41 AM

In news:4C43F2FE-1555-43C7-81A9-F8A781260EC5@microsoft.com,
tthrone <tthrone@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem with my internet connection and
> there are similar problems with some other desktops in my
> organization. On mine, I have a home page defined
> (yahoo.com), but whenever I open the browser or hit the
> home button, I go to yahoo.com but the page does not load
> automatically. It comes up completely blank, no errors.
> I have to hit the refresh every time. I'm running XP
> home edition. If I log in as another usre on the same
> desktop, I have no problem, so it's something about one
> specific user profile.
>
> Also, in work, on Win 2000 desktops, I have experienced a
> problem with certain web sites failing to load. Looks
> like a DNS problem because it usually results in a DNS
> error message. I've tried to flush the dns cache, but
> that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Any ideas for either of these problems?

Sounds more like an MTU problem than a DNS problem.
Try this ping -f yahoo.com -l 1472
Does it say 'Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set', does it time out or
does the ping return?
1472 bytes is the maximum MTU of the internet + 28 bytes overhead = 1500
bytes.
If it times out reduce the packet size until the ping returns and set the
MTU on the NIC to that number + 28 (if the ping returns at 1450 add 28 and
set the MTU to 1478)

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Kevin,

Thanks for the advice. I tried this on my Win XP desktop and the ping
returns normally. I did a ping to yahoo.com both with and without the
options you listed and both returned normally.

I have to believe this is something that is being saved under the user
profile because if on the same machine, I log in as another user, there is no
problem. Is it possible that DNS or something else caches an old IP address
for yahoo.com so that when I try to load the home page it is blank? I can
change the home page option in windows explorer to something else, say
Google.com and it will load properly. But if I change back to yahoo.com, it
fails until I refresh. I tried to do ipconfig /flushdns, and it appears to
have worked, but this still occurs.

Thanks again for any other advice.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:4C43F2FE-1555-43C7-81A9-F8A781260EC5@microsoft.com,
> tthrone <tthrone@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with my internet connection and
> > there are similar problems with some other desktops in my
> > organization. On mine, I have a home page defined
> > (yahoo.com), but whenever I open the browser or hit the
> > home button, I go to yahoo.com but the page does not load
> > automatically. It comes up completely blank, no errors.
> > I have to hit the refresh every time. I'm running XP
> > home edition. If I log in as another usre on the same
> > desktop, I have no problem, so it's something about one
> > specific user profile.
> >
> > Also, in work, on Win 2000 desktops, I have experienced a
> > problem with certain web sites failing to load. Looks
> > like a DNS problem because it usually results in a DNS
> > error message. I've tried to flush the dns cache, but
> > that doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Any ideas for either of these problems?
>
> Sounds more like an MTU problem than a DNS problem.
> Try this ping -f yahoo.com -l 1472
> Does it say 'Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set', does it time out or
> does the ping return?
> 1472 bytes is the maximum MTU of the internet + 28 bytes overhead = 1500
> bytes.
> If it times out reduce the packet size until the ping returns and set the
> MTU on the NIC to that number + 28 (if the ping returns at 1450 add 28 and
> set the MTU to 1478)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

February 16, 2005 8:47:05 PM

Correction!
If I log onto the same desktop as another user, and try to set yahoo.com as
a home page, it still does not load until I hit refresh. But, logged on as
any user, I can set other pages as the home page and they will load normally
when I start the browser or hit the home button. Seems to just pick on
Yahoo.com.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:4C43F2FE-1555-43C7-81A9-F8A781260EC5@microsoft.com,
> tthrone <tthrone@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with my internet connection and
> > there are similar problems with some other desktops in my
> > organization. On mine, I have a home page defined
> > (yahoo.com), but whenever I open the browser or hit the
> > home button, I go to yahoo.com but the page does not load
> > automatically. It comes up completely blank, no errors.
> > I have to hit the refresh every time. I'm running XP
> > home edition. If I log in as another usre on the same
> > desktop, I have no problem, so it's something about one
> > specific user profile.
> >
> > Also, in work, on Win 2000 desktops, I have experienced a
> > problem with certain web sites failing to load. Looks
> > like a DNS problem because it usually results in a DNS
> > error message. I've tried to flush the dns cache, but
> > that doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Any ideas for either of these problems?
>
> Sounds more like an MTU problem than a DNS problem.
> Try this ping -f yahoo.com -l 1472
> Does it say 'Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set', does it time out or
> does the ping return?
> 1472 bytes is the maximum MTU of the internet + 28 bytes overhead = 1500
> bytes.
> If it times out reduce the packet size until the ping returns and set the
> MTU on the NIC to that number + 28 (if the ping returns at 1450 add 28 and
> set the MTU to 1478)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:54:47 AM

In news:E0B9026C-1396-438A-BB5F-46A26EC489B8@microsoft.com,
tthrone <tthrone@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the advice. I tried this on my Win XP desktop
> and the ping returns normally. I did a ping to yahoo.com
> both with and without the options you listed and both
> returned normally.
>
> I have to believe this is something that is being saved
> under the user profile because if on the same machine, I
> log in as another user, there is no problem. Is it
> possible that DNS or something else caches an old IP
> address for yahoo.com so that when I try to load the home
> page it is blank? I can change the home page option in
> windows explorer to something else, say Google.com and it
> will load properly. But if I change back to yahoo.com,
> it fails until I refresh. I tried to do ipconfig
> /flushdns, and it appears to have worked, but this still
> occurs.

Turn off "Show friendly HTTP error messages" (Advanced tab of Internet
properties)
This is unlikely to be DNS giving you the wrong address.
You might try setting IE to check for new versions of stored pages every
time you visit the page. (General tab, Settings button, of internet
properties)

--
!