dns not dynamically updating

Background Info:
A couple of weeks ago, we introduced another w2k3 server into the domain.
Now the domain has only one w2k server left, which will soon be upgraded.
Anyway, the w2k server is a domain controller and has dns, dhcp, roles, and
so does the new w2k3 server, whick replaced a w2k server with the same roles.

Problem:
Clients that get there ip address from the w2k3 server, do not dynamically
update dns, but clients that get there ip addresses from the w2k server do,
as they always have in the past.

More Information:
I done quite a bit of research and have made sure that dhcp and dns are set
up exactly like the w2k server. The only thing I changed to try and get it to
work, was to change the dhcp - dns setting from dynamically update dns to
always update dns.

On my workstation and I suppose on the others, there is a NETLOGON error in
the event viewer\system folder which states:

Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in Active Directory
failed. The updated value was 'JON'. The following error occurred:
The parameter is incorrect.

I click on the link to trouble shoot, and I get this:

Explanation
Active Directory could not update the DNS Host Name of the computer object.

Possible causes include:

The computer is not configured to use the correct DNS servers.
The DNS servers do not support dynamic update.
The DNS zone is not configured to support secure dynamic updates.

User Action
To troubleshoot the problem, run the DCDiag.exe program. This program is
located on your Windows Server 2003 CD in the Support\Tools folder.

I ran dcdiag against the w2k and the w2k3 server to compare, and they both
pass all tests with the exception that the w2k3 server states this for the
first test:

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: North-Palm-Beach-FL\NPBEX01
Starting test: Connectivity
*** Warning: could not confirm the identity of this server in
the directory versus the names returned by DNS servers.
If there are problems accessing this directory server then
you may need to check that this server is correctly registered
with DNS
......................... NPBEX01 passed test Connectivity

Thanks for the help.

In news:CFE771A8-2523-4169-9737-2F58E7DD2F6F@microsoft.com,
pingboy <pingboy@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Background Info:
> A couple of weeks ago, we introduced another w2k3 server
> into the domain. Now the domain has only one w2k server
> left, which will soon be upgraded. Anyway, the w2k server
> is a domain controller and has dns, dhcp, roles, and so
> does the new w2k3 server, whick replaced a w2k server
> with the same roles.
>
> Problem:
> Clients that get there ip address from the w2k3 server,
> do not dynamically update dns, but clients that get there
> ip addresses from the w2k server do, as they always have
> in the past.
>
> More Information:
> I done quite a bit of research and have made sure that
> dhcp and dns are set up exactly like the w2k server. The
> only thing I changed to try and get it to work, was to
> change the dhcp - dns setting from dynamically update dns
> to always update dns.
>
> On my workstation and I suppose on the others, there is a
> NETLOGON error in the event viewer\system folder which
> states:
>
> Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in
> Active Directory failed. The updated value was 'JON'. The
> following error occurred:
> The parameter is incorrect.
>
> I click on the link to trouble shoot, and I get this:
>
> Explanation
> Active Directory could not update the DNS Host Name of
> the computer object.
>
> Possible causes include:
>
> The computer is not configured to use the correct DNS
> servers.
> The DNS servers do not support dynamic update.
> The DNS zone is not configured to support secure dynamic
> updates.
>

> User Action
> To troubleshoot the problem, run the DCDiag.exe program.
> This program is located on your Windows Server 2003 CD in
> the Support\Tools folder.
>
> I ran dcdiag against the w2k and the w2k3 server to
> compare, and they both pass all tests with the exception
> that the w2k3 server states this for the first test:
>
> Doing initial required tests
>
> Testing server: North-Palm-Beach-FL\NPBEX01
> Starting test: Connectivity
> *** Warning: could not confirm the identity
> of this server in the directory versus the
> names returned by DNS servers. If there
> are problems accessing this directory
> server then you may need to check that
> this server is correctly registered with DNS
> ......................... NPBEX01 passed test
> Connectivity

Any errors being logged?
Event ID 1056 Is Logged After Installing DHCP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282001

How to configure DNS dynamic updates in Windows Server 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816592

Can you post an ipconfig /all from a client that got its address from the
Win2k3?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the two articles. Here is the
ipconfig /all. I got rid of information with ### sign.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ####
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : #######.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BF-60-ED-90
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.##
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.#
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.###
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.###
192.168.#.###
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.###
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 16, 2005
1:57:02
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 17, 2005
1:57:02
AM

In news:E2CCA334-2B3C-4F01-9645-835438DD235D@microsoft.com,
pingboy <pingboy@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the two
> articles. Here is the ipconfig /all. I got rid of
> information with ### sign.
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ####
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : #######.com
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
> RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
> rnet NIC
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
> 00-50-BF-60-ED-90 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . .
> . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.##
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.#
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.###
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.###
> 192.168.#.###
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.#.###

Why are you hiding these private addresses?
I can only assume the DNS address is the DDNS server.
There is not Primary DNS suffix, you'll have to check register this
connection's addresses in DNS and use the DNS suffix in DNS registration.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:E2CCA334-2B3C-4F01-9645-835438DD235D@microsoft.com,
pingboy <pingboy@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the two articles. Here is
> the ipconfig /all. I got rid of information with ### sign.
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ####
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

As Kevin mentioned, the Primary DNS Suffix is not populated. That is one of
the key factors that dictate dynamic registration.

And as for hiding private IPs, they are already private (they are
non-routable IPs) and cannot be accessed by anyone from the Internet. No
real reason to hide them.

Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.