Need to forward request for a domain to another DNS server

Hello there
have a domain called domain1.local that has it's own DNS server 10.0.0.1 and
there's another domain domain2.local and it's DNS server is 10.0.0.2.
What I want to do is to make 10.0.0.1 the primary DNS server for both
domains, in the following way:
10.0.0.1 holds only a NS record pointing to domain2.local without so
requests are directed to the 10.0.0.2 server when domain2.local records are
needed.
I created a zone on 10.0.0.1 called domain2.local and has only one host
record pointing to 10.0.0.2 and configured the start of authority and the
name server to point to this record (10.0.0.2).
Now when I use NSLOOKUP to ask 10.0.0.1 about records in domain2.local it
says "Non-existent domain"
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Regards
Sameh
17 answers Last reply
More about need forward request domain server

    In news:%23wK259eFFHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Sameh Ahmed <essoplus@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hello there
    > have a domain called domain1.local that has it's own DNS server
    > 10.0.0.1 and there's another domain domain2.local and it's DNS server
    > is 10.0.0.2. What I want to do is to make 10.0.0.1 the primary DNS server
    > for both
    > domains, in the following way:
    > 10.0.0.1 holds only a NS record pointing to domain2.local without so
    > requests are directed to the 10.0.0.2 server when domain2.local
    > records are needed.

    To accomplish the above, if this is Windows 2003, just create a conditional
    forwarder for domain2.local and provide 10.0.0.2 as the forwarder. If this
    is Windows 2000, unfortunately conditional forwarding is not available.

    > I created a zone on 10.0.0.1 called domain2.local and has only one
    > host record pointing to 10.0.0.2 and configured the start of
    > authority and the name server to point to this record (10.0.0.2).

    How did you create the zone? Is it a secondary zone? If so, did the records
    populate when it transferred?

    > Now when I use NSLOOKUP to ask 10.0.0.1 about records in
    > domain2.local it says "Non-existent domain"

    That is just a message saying 10.0.0.1 does not have a PTR in the reverse
    zone for that subnet. So that leads to a simpel question, do you have a
    reverse zone for 10.0.0.x?? If so, create a PTR for 10.0.0.1. If not, then
    create the Reverse zone, and create the PTR and that message will go away.

    --?
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --?
    =================================

    hello Ace
    well, I created a primary zone.
    does that mean that there is no way using Win 2000 to make a DNS server act
    like an ISP DNS server?
    like people have their own NS servers but the NS records of the domains on
    the root servers point to the ISP servers and those in their turn point to
    the right NS server when requested?
    Thanks
    a lot.
    Regards
    Sameh

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:%23EXVK3kFFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    In news:er$SIypFFHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Sameh Ahmed <essoplus@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > hello Ace
    > well, I created a primary zone.
    > does that mean that there is no way using Win 2000 to make a DNS
    > server act like an ISP DNS server?
    > like people have their own NS servers but the NS records of the
    > domains on the root servers point to the ISP servers and those in
    > their turn point to the right NS server when requested?
    > Thanks
    > a lot.
    > Regards
    > Sameh

    People useWindows DNS for nameservers on the Internet all the time. I have
    two of them myself. But what you are trying to do, based on your original
    post, is just forward a request for a specific domain name to another DNS
    server.

    Isn't that what you were saying? Correct me and please elaborate if I am
    wrong.

    Now if you want to host a domain name on the Internet, there are mulitple
    steps behind that, starting with registering your nameserver with the
    Registrar. Goto www.networksolutions.com to read more info on how to do
    that. The Regstrar REQUIRES a minimum of two nameservers to host any
    specific domain name and their PUBLIC IP addresses. Keep in mind, if you are
    behind a NAT, this may not work because NAT will only redirect an incoming
    port requests to one IP. If you have two DNS behind the NAT for this, it
    won;t work. You'll need two PUBLIC IPs. In this scenario, you will also need
    another DNS server to host your PRIVATE IPs. You cannot mix public and
    private IPs under the same domain name in DNS. It just will not work.

    Ace

    Regarding the first registration step and the NAT issue and the public IPs,
    this is already taken care of.
    No private IPs are being used for that.
    So the root servers when requested to anotherdomain.com point to
    ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.
    What I want, is to make ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com forward request to
    ns1.anotherdomain.com or ns2.anotherdomain.com when asked for
    www.anotherdomain.com for example.
    Thank you for your time

    message news:OG5yNArFFHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Regarding the first registration step and the NAT issue and the public
    IPs,
    > this is already taken care of.
    > No private IPs are being used for that.
    > So the root servers when requested to anotherdomain.com point to
    > ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.
    > What I want, is to make ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com forward request
    > ns1.anotherdomain.com or ns2.anotherdomain.com when asked for
    > www.anotherdomain.com for example.

    That isn't really the way that "forwarding" works.

    Forwarding (to a DNS server) means that IT (that
    same DNS server must go do the lookup by asking
    the forwarder not by telling the "client" (which might
    be even another DNS server to go there.)

    On an ITERATIVE request such lookups are not
    expected or done (the requesting client is saying,
    tell me if you know, otherwise, tell me what you
    know that will help, but if the request is already
    at the same level it isn't going to go lookup again
    with a different server -- clients expect that ALL
    authoritative servers will give the same answer.)

    Also most DNS servers are (and SHOULD BE) set
    up to refuse to perform recursive requests on behalf
    of (external) clients.

    If you want a DIFFERENT set of servers to handle
    the requests, then TELL the parent to use them (that
    is, enter the correct servers with the parent.)

    Whyever would you want to tell the parent the WRONG
    servers?

    --
    Herb Martin

    "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Regarding the first registration step and the NAT issue and the public
    IPs,
    > this is already taken care of.
    > No private IPs are being used for that.
    > So the root servers when requested to anotherdomain.com point to
    > ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.
    > What I want, is to make ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com forward request
    > ns1.anotherdomain.com or ns2.anotherdomain.com when asked for
    > www.anotherdomain.com for example.
    > Thank you for your time
    > Regards
    > Sameh
    >

    > "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:OG5yNArFFHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > > In news:er$SIypFFHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > > Sameh Ahmed <essoplus@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > >> hello Ace
    > >> well, I created a primary zone.
    > >> does that mean that there is no way using Win 2000 to make a DNS
    > >> server act like an ISP DNS server?
    > >> like people have their own NS servers but the NS records of the
    > >> domains on the root servers point to the ISP servers and those in
    > >> their turn point to the right NS server when requested?
    > >> Thanks
    > >> a lot.
    > >> Regards
    > >> Sameh
    > >
    > > People useWindows DNS for nameservers on the Internet all the time. I
    have
    > > two of them myself. But what you are trying to do, based on your
    original
    > > post, is just forward a request for a specific domain name to another
    DNS
    > > server.
    > >
    > > Isn't that what you were saying? Correct me and please elaborate if I am
    > > wrong.
    > >
    > > Now if you want to host a domain name on the Internet, there are
    mulitple
    > > steps behind that, starting with registering your nameserver with the
    > > Registrar. Goto www.networksolutions.com to read more info on how to do
    > > that. The Regstrar REQUIRES a minimum of two nameservers to host any
    > > specific domain name and their PUBLIC IP addresses. Keep in mind, if you
    > > are behind a NAT, this may not work because NAT will only redirect an
    > > incoming port requests to one IP. If you have two DNS behind the NAT for
    > > this, it won;t work. You'll need two PUBLIC IPs. In this scenario, you
    > > will also need another DNS server to host your PRIVATE IPs. You cannot
    mix
    > > public and private IPs under the same domain name in DNS. It just will
    not
    > > work.
    > >
    > > Ace

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Not the wrong servers
    simply if you want to distribute load or simply restrict access to only 1
    server (or a farm) instead of several.

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > Now if you want to host a domain name on the Internet, there are
    > mulitple
    >> > steps behind that, starting with registering your nameserver with the
    >> > Registrar. Goto www.networksolutions.com to read more info on how to do
    >> > that. The Regstrar REQUIRES a minimum of two nameservers to host any
    >> > specific domain name and their PUBLIC IP addresses. Keep in mind, if
    >> > you
    >> > are behind a NAT, this may not work because NAT will only redirect an
    >> > incoming port requests to one IP. If you have two DNS behind the NAT
    >> > for
    >> > this, it won;t work. You'll need two PUBLIC IPs. In this scenario, you
    >> > will also need another DNS server to host your PRIVATE IPs. You cannot
    > mix
    >> > public and private IPs under the same domain name in DNS. It just will

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Not the wrong servers
    > simply if you want to distribute load or

    Register the extra servers with the parent zone.

    That is the way it is properly done.

    > simply restrict access to only 1
    > server (or a farm) instead of several.

    This is not a function of DNS.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Actually the main reason for me needing to know how that is done; is that I
    have several virtual machines running on my machine hosting several AD
    environments, and for some reason, I need to restart or to change the DNS
    servers order back and forth to be able to resolve the SRV records for each
    domain.
    So I wanted to point my NIC to only one virtual DNS server, that would point
    them to the right records.
    This is to make is totally clear why I wanted to do that.
    Regards and thanks for your time.
    Sameh
    > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Not the wrong servers
    >> simply if you want to distribute load or
    >

    > Register the extra servers with the parent zone.
    >
    > That is the way it is properly done.
    >
    >> simply restrict access to only 1
    >> server (or a farm) instead of several.
    >
    > This is not a function of DNS.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Actually the main reason for me needing to know how that is done; is that
    > have several virtual machines running on my machine hosting several AD
    > environments, and for some reason, I need to restart or to change the DNS
    > servers order back and forth to be able to resolve the SRV records for
    each
    > domain.
    > So I wanted to point my NIC to only one virtual DNS server, that would
    point
    > them to the right records.
    > This is to make is totally clear why I wanted to do that.

    Probably, due to misconfiguration (or mis-design
    really) of your DNS setup.

    VM's are really no different in terms of troubleshooting
    such things (after the VM is working on the VNet or
    whatever) than anything else.

    You have to treat them like they are regular machines
    to simplify the troubleshooting.

    Describe your "network" and you intention and we
    can work through it.

    This misunderstanding frequently happens when
    someone posts a question without giving the REAL
    reason for the question.

    We spend a lot of time explaining why the question
    is mis-directed and then slowly the real question(s)
    emerge....

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Regards and thanks for your time.
    > Sameh
    > > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Not the wrong servers
    > >> simply if you want to distribute load or
    > >

    > > Register the extra servers with the parent zone.
    > >
    > > That is the way it is properly done.
    > >
    > >> simply restrict access to only 1
    > >> server (or a farm) instead of several.
    > >
    > > This is not a function of DNS.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Thanks
    1 physical machine
    192.168.0.2
    2 Virtual machines
    192.168.0.3 domain1.local
    192.168.0.7 domain2.local

    DNS server order
    192.168.0.3 not a root server
    192.168.0.7 not a root server
    62.139.105.166 ISP Server
    that's the main setup
    I develop an app that runs on the physical machine that needs to connect to
    Active directory on both machines in the same time.
    Regards
    Sameh

    > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Actually the main reason for me needing to know how that is done; is that
    >> have several virtual machines running on my machine hosting several AD
    >> environments, and for some reason, I need to restart or to change the DNS
    >> servers order back and forth to be able to resolve the SRV records for
    > each
    >> domain.
    >> So I wanted to point my NIC to only one virtual DNS server, that would
    > point
    >> them to the right records.
    >> This is to make is totally clear why I wanted to do that.
    >
    > Probably, due to misconfiguration (or mis-design
    > really) of your DNS setup.
    >
    > VM's are really no different in terms of troubleshooting
    > such things (after the VM is working on the VNet or
    > whatever) than anything else.
    >
    > You have to treat them like they are regular machines
    > to simplify the troubleshooting.
    >
    > Describe your "network" and you intention and we
    > can work through it.
    >
    > This misunderstanding frequently happens when
    > someone posts a question without giving the REAL
    > reason for the question.
    >
    > We spend a lot of time explaining why the question
    > is mis-directed and then slowly the real question(s)
    > emerge....
    >

    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    >> Regards and thanks for your time.
    >> Sameh
    >> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > Register the extra servers with the parent zone.
    >> >
    >> > That is the way it is properly done.

    >> > This is not a function of DNS.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Thanks
    > 1 physical machine
    > 192.168.0.2
    > 2 Virtual machines
    > 192.168.0.3 domain1.local
    > 192.168.0.7 domain2.local
    >
    > DNS server order
    > 192.168.0.3 not a root server
    > 192.168.0.7 not a root server
    > 62.139.105.166 ISP Server
    > that's the main setup
    > I develop an app that runs on the physical machine that needs to connect
    > Active directory on both machines in the same time.

    Ok, so if it is two domains (each with their own
    DNS server set) there are two basic ways to get
    resolution:

    1) Put them in a hierarchy
    2) Have each DNS server (set) hold "cross
    secondaries" for the other DNS zone(s)

    #1 works best when you have only one tree of
    zones/domains OR (in a lab etc) don't need
    Internet connectivity.

    #2 is a general solution -- if each set of DNS
    servers can resolve the other DNS zones directly
    by being a secondary for those other zones then
    it just works.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Regards
    > Sameh

    > > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Actually the main reason for me needing to know how that is done; is
    that
    > >> have several virtual machines running on my machine hosting several AD
    > >> environments, and for some reason, I need to restart or to change the
    DNS
    > >> servers order back and forth to be able to resolve the SRV records for
    > > each
    > >> domain.
    > >> So I wanted to point my NIC to only one virtual DNS server, that would
    > > point
    > >> them to the right records.
    > >> This is to make is totally clear why I wanted to do that.
    > >
    > > Probably, due to misconfiguration (or mis-design
    > > really) of your DNS setup.
    > >
    > > VM's are really no different in terms of troubleshooting
    > > such things (after the VM is working on the VNet or
    > > whatever) than anything else.
    > >
    > > You have to treat them like they are regular machines
    > > to simplify the troubleshooting.
    > >
    > > Describe your "network" and you intention and we
    > > can work through it.
    > >
    > > This misunderstanding frequently happens when
    > > someone posts a question without giving the REAL
    > > reason for the question.
    > >
    > > We spend a lot of time explaining why the question
    > > is mis-directed and then slowly the real question(s)
    > > emerge....
    > >

    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > >> Regards and thanks for your time.
    > >> Sameh
    > >> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    what do you mean by put them in a hierarchy, how do I do that?
    I used the second option and it works fine
    thank you for your time.
    > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks
    >> 1 physical machine
    >> 192.168.0.2
    >> 2 Virtual machines
    >> 192.168.0.3 domain1.local
    >> 192.168.0.7 domain2.local
    >>
    >> DNS server order
    >> 192.168.0.3 not a root server
    >> 192.168.0.7 not a root server
    >> 62.139.105.166 ISP Server
    >> that's the main setup
    >> I develop an app that runs on the physical machine that needs to connect
    >> Active directory on both machines in the same time.
    >
    > Ok, so if it is two domains (each with their own
    > DNS server set) there are two basic ways to get
    > resolution:
    >
    > 1) Put them in a hierarchy
    > 2) Have each DNS server (set) hold "cross
    > secondaries" for the other DNS zone(s)
    >
    > #1 works best when you have only one tree of
    > zones/domains OR (in a lab etc) don't need
    > Internet connectivity.
    >
    > #2 is a general solution -- if each set of DNS
    > servers can resolve the other DNS zones directly
    > by being a secondary for those other zones then
    > it just works.
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    >> Regards
    >> Sameh
    >>
    >> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > that
    > DNS
    >> > each
    >> > point
    >> >
    >> > Probably, due to misconfiguration (or mis-design
    >> > really) of your DNS setup.
    >> >
    >> > VM's are really no different in terms of troubleshooting
    >> > such things (after the VM is working on the VNet or
    >> > whatever) than anything else.
    >> >
    >> > You have to treat them like they are regular machines
    >> > to simplify the troubleshooting.
    >> >
    >> > Describe your "network" and you intention and we
    >> > can work through it.
    >> >
    >> > This misunderstanding frequently happens when
    >> > someone posts a question without giving the REAL
    >> > reason for the question.
    >> >
    >> > We spend a lot of time explaining why the question
    >> > is mis-directed and then slowly the real question(s)
    >> > emerge....
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Herb Martin

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > what do you mean by put them in a hierarchy, how do I do that?
    > I used the second option and it works fine
    > thank you for your time.

    Well, they would have to BE in a hierarchy
    or you would have to add the parent domain
    to join them into a single hierarchy.

    If you use public (Internet) names this is impracticable
    since it would eliminate Internet name resolution.

    In a private name space you could add the local.
    zone above a.local and b.local, or even just having
    a parent-child relationship, a.local and child.a.local.

    But all this is something you have to plan ahead for
    unless you are willing to give up general Internet
    resolution.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > > "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks
    > >> 1 physical machine
    > >> 192.168.0.2
    > >> 2 Virtual machines
    > >> 192.168.0.3 domain1.local
    > >> 192.168.0.7 domain2.local
    > >>
    > >> DNS server order
    > >> 192.168.0.3 not a root server
    > >> 192.168.0.7 not a root server
    > >> 62.139.105.166 ISP Server
    > >> that's the main setup
    > >> I develop an app that runs on the physical machine that needs to
    connect
    > >> Active directory on both machines in the same time.
    > >
    > > Ok, so if it is two domains (each with their own
    > > DNS server set) there are two basic ways to get
    > > resolution:
    > >
    > > 1) Put them in a hierarchy
    > > 2) Have each DNS server (set) hold "cross
    > > secondaries" for the other DNS zone(s)
    > >
    > > #1 works best when you have only one tree of
    > > zones/domains OR (in a lab etc) don't need
    > > Internet connectivity.
    > >
    > > #2 is a general solution -- if each set of DNS
    > > servers can resolve the other DNS zones directly
    > > by being a secondary for those other zones then
    > > it just works.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > >> Regards
    > >> Sameh
    > >>
    > >> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    > > that
    AD
    > > DNS

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:eXElkKWGFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Sameh Ahmed <essoplus@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > what do you mean by put them in a hierarchy, how do I do that?
    > I used the second option and it works fine
    > thank you for your time.

    Sameh,

    If you had Windows 2003, you can create conditional forwarders to forward
    specific name requests. As for nameserver registration, the two domains you
    want to forward to another is supposedly supposed to be on that server,
    where the actual content of the zone is on that server, so frowarding is not
    indicated, but I don;t see why it cannot be done.

    So regarding the original question:

    > What I want, is to make ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com forward request
    > ns1.anotherdomain.com or ns2.anotherdomain.com when asked for
    > www.anotherdomain.com for example.

    As Herb said, just make a secondary of the zone on the registered name
    server and you should be good to go.

    btw- Why are you pointing to an ISP's DNS server in your configuration?
    Look:
    > 192.168.0.3 not a root server
    > 192.168.0.7 not a root server
    > 62.139.105.166 ISP Server

    That will not get you your desired results and will cause problems in
    resolution. Keep your machines pointed to your own DNS and setup a forwarder
    to 62.139.105.166. This configuration is an industry highly recommended
    'best practice" and will eliminate possible issues. If AD was involved here,
    numerous errors can result with your current config.

    Ace
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    dear Herb and Ace
    thanks a lot
    I used the secondary zones setup and it just works fine.
    All this is in my home network, and wanted this for tests and so on.
    message news:et121ttGFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > In news:eXElkKWGFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Sameh Ahmed <essoplus@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    >> what do you mean by put them in a hierarchy, how do I do that?
    >> I used the second option and it works fine
    >> thank you for your time.
    >
    > Sameh,
    >
    > If you had Windows 2003, you can create conditional forwarders to forward
    > specific name requests. As for nameserver registration, the two domains
    > you want to forward to another is supposedly supposed to be on that
    > server, where the actual content of the zone is on that server, so
    > frowarding is not indicated, but I don;t see why it cannot be done.
    >
    > So regarding the original question:
    >
    >> What I want, is to make ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com forward request
    >> ns1.anotherdomain.com or ns2.anotherdomain.com when asked for
    >> www.anotherdomain.com for example.
    >
    > As Herb said, just make a secondary of the zone on the registered name
    > server and you should be good to go.
    >
    > btw- Why are you pointing to an ISP's DNS server in your configuration?
    > Look:
    >> 192.168.0.3 not a root server
    >> 192.168.0.7 not a root server
    >> 62.139.105.166 ISP Server
    >
    > That will not get you your desired results and will cause problems in
    > resolution. Keep your machines pointed to your own DNS and setup a
    > forwarder to 62.139.105.166. This configuration is an industry highly
    > recommended 'best practice" and will eliminate possible issues. If AD was
    > involved here, numerous errors can result with your current config.
    >
    > Ace

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > dear Herb and Ace
    > thanks a lot
    > I used the secondary zones setup and it just works fine.
    > All this is in my home network, and wanted this for tests and so on.

    For tests it's a bit more complicated since
    they tend to "test around the edges" (odd
    situations, big systems, etc.)

    The key to tests is CLEAR UNDERSTANDING
    of the basics so that you can solve most any
    real world or straight problem and then the odd
    rules for those weird questions.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks a lot
    > Regards
    > Sameh
    > "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:et121ttGFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > > In news:eXElkKWGFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > > Sameh Ahmed <essoplus@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > >> what do you mean by put them in a hierarchy, how do I do that?
    > >> I used the second option and it works fine
    > >> thank you for your time.
    > >
    > > Sameh,
    > >
    > > If you had Windows 2003, you can create conditional forwarders to
    forward
    > > specific name requests. As for nameserver registration, the two domains
    > > you want to forward to another is supposedly supposed to be on that
    > > server, where the actual content of the zone is on that server, so
    > > frowarding is not indicated, but I don;t see why it cannot be done.
    > >
    > > So regarding the original question:
    > >
    > >> What I want, is to make ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com forward
    request
    > >> ns1.anotherdomain.com or ns2.anotherdomain.com when asked for
    > >> www.anotherdomain.com for example.
    > >
    > > As Herb said, just make a secondary of the zone on the registered name
    > > server and you should be good to go.
    > >
    > > btw- Why are you pointing to an ISP's DNS server in your configuration?
    > > Look:
    > >> 192.168.0.3 not a root server
    > >> 192.168.0.7 not a root server
    > >> 62.139.105.166 ISP Server
    > >
    > > That will not get you your desired results and will cause problems in
    > > resolution. Keep your machines pointed to your own DNS and setup a
    > > forwarder to 62.139.105.166. This configuration is an industry highly
    > > recommended 'best practice" and will eliminate possible issues. If AD
    was
    > > involved here, numerous errors can result with your current config.
    > >
    > > Ace

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "Sameh Ahmed" <essoplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > dear Herb and Ace
    > thanks a lot
    > I used the secondary zones setup and it just works fine.
    > All this is in my home network, and wanted this for tests and so on.
    > Thanks a lot
    > Regards
    > Sameh

    My pleasure...