MX Record, PTR Record problem

Hello everyone,

This is my first DNS server, and I'm having trouble setting up my MX record.
I've been using
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=alliancegameservers.com
for troubleshooting, and I get this error:

FAIL: Reverse DNS entries for MX records
ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS
(PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it may mean that your DNS servers
did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS
for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many
mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry.
You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff
site (it contacts your servers in real time; the reverse DNS lookups in the
DNS report use our local caching DNS server). The problem MX records are:
160.207.39.65.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0)
(check it)]

I'm at a loss, because the "Windows 2000 DNS help files" and "O'reillys DNS
on Windows" book doesn't mention anything about a ptr record for mx records.
If anyone can help out or point me in the right direction I'd appriciate it.
If you need more information please let me know and I'll get back to you
asap.

"Jesse B." <jburns131@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> This is my first DNS server, and I'm having trouble setting up my MX
record.
> I've been using
> http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=alliancegameservers.com
> for troubleshooting, and I get this error:
>
> FAIL: Reverse DNS entries for MX records
> ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS
> (PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it may mean that your DNS
servers
> did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse
DNS
> for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as
many
> mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS
entry.
> You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff
> site (it contacts your servers in real time; the reverse DNS lookups in
the
> DNS report use our local caching DNS server). The problem MX records are:
> 160.207.39.65.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0)
> (check it)]
>
> I'm at a loss, because the "Windows 2000 DNS help files" and "O'reillys
DNS
> on Windows" book doesn't mention anything about a ptr record for mx
records.

It's an EMAIL issue (although it would be nice for them
to mention this common usage as mostly PTR records are
not that important otherwise.)

> If anyone can help out or point me in the right direction I'd appriciate
it.
> If you need more information please let me know and I'll get back to you
> asap.

The ISPs really "own" the reverse zones in most cases.

Contact the owner of your address range (likely your
ISP) and give them the name you wish your PTR to
resolve to:

65.39.207.160 -> www.alliancegameservers.com

If they won't do this for you, find another ISP.

Oh, and if they insist on some other name you will
need to change BOTH the MX record to match AND
the "reported name" (helo I-AM) for you SMTP server.

And, if you don't already have that name set to
the same as the MX.
(which is now www.alliancegameservers.com)

It really doesn't matter what this name is set to be,
but must match all the way around: SMTP server,
MX record, PTR for the address used by the SMTP
server.