DNS Zone query

greenman

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Hi I wounder if you can help me

I am setting up a test 2003 envirionent with FRD called Global and child
domain called Mycompany

global has a DC called fr1
mycompay.global has a DC called DC1

fr1 has a copy of dc1's zone and
dc1 has a copy of fr1's zone

When I do a nslookup for dc1.mycompany.global to fr1
even though dc1 has a copy of globals dsn zone the lookup fails!!

Any ideas??
Thanks G

In news:445CB272-6231-4B39-9AC3-CDA07BF42408@microsoft.com,
Greenman <Greenman@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Hi I wounder if you can help me
>
> I am setting up a test 2003 envirionent with FRD called Global and
> child domain called Mycompany
>
> global has a DC called fr1
> mycompay.global has a DC called DC1
>

> fr1 has a copy of dc1's zone and
> dc1 has a copy of fr1's zone
>

> When I do a nslookup for dc1.mycompany.global to fr1
> even though dc1 has a copy of globals dsn zone the lookup fails!!
>
> Any ideas??
> Thanks G

First, what is FRD?

Second, choose a proper DNS hierarchal name for the parent zone, such as
global.com, global.local, global.greenman, etc. Otherwise, you are prone to
a host of errors due to the single lable name.

Third, if you have child domains, the best way with Windows 2000 is to use
delegation. In the parent global.com zone, on fr1.global.com, you would
delegate the child name "mycompany" to the DNS server(s) that host the child
zone in the child domain, such as on DC1 in mycompany.global.com. Then you
set a forwarder from dc1.mycompany.global.com to fr1.global.com. Then set a
forwarder from fr1.global.com to your ISP's DNS servers. Don't forget to
create a reverse zone in fr1.global.com for the subnet that fr1.global.com
exists in. Then you can create a secondary of that zone on
dc1.mycompany.global.com.

The delegation will send queries from a client in theparent to the child's
DNS. The forwarder will send info from a querying client in the child to the
parent for the parent zone.

Here's some more info on delegation:

255248 - HOW TO Create a Child Domain in Active Directory and Delegate the
DNS Namespace to the Child Domain:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255248

--?
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??