Logging DNS actions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 23, 2005 6:17:14 PM

Hi all,

I have some troubles with private root servers in our network, then I
want to turn on logging of DNS actions. Can you recomend me some web
with this problematics? I thing which logging options I should turn on,
how I can read log file, etc....

Tkank you P.L.

More about : logging dns actions

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:24:54 PM

In news:%23u6DhJbGFHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
tecka" <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz"> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some troubles with private root servers in our
> network, then I want to turn on logging of DNS actions.
> Can you recomend me some web with this problematics? I
> thing which logging options I should turn on, how I can
> read log file, etc....
>
> Tkank you P.L.

It is really not a good idea to turn on advanced debug logging except to
diagnose a problem. DNS can be asked to resolve hundreds of queries a minute
or more, logging these actions for an extended period put considerable load
on a DNS server which normally requires very little CPU usage and can cause
DNS to overload and fail.
For a short period you can turn on debug logging to see what queries are
sent to DNS

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

But I still need to know how I can understand DNS log file. Any web
site? I cannot find one.

L.

!