Logging DNS actions

Hi all,

I have some troubles with private root servers in our network, then I
want to turn on logging of DNS actions. Can you recomend me some web
with this problematics? I thing which logging options I should turn on,
how I can read log file, etc....

Tkank you P.L.
2 answers Last reply
More about logging actions

    In news:%23u6DhJbGFHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    tecka" <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz <""lazna\"@volny(tecka)cz"> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have some troubles with private root servers in our
    > network, then I want to turn on logging of DNS actions.
    > Can you recomend me some web with this problematics? I
    > thing which logging options I should turn on, how I can
    > read log file, etc....
    >
    > Tkank you P.L.

    It is really not a good idea to turn on advanced debug logging except to
    diagnose a problem. DNS can be asked to resolve hundreds of queries a minute
    or more, logging these actions for an extended period put considerable load
    on a DNS server which normally requires very little CPU usage and can cause
    DNS to overload and fail.
    For a short period you can turn on debug logging to see what queries are
    sent to DNS

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    But I still need to know how I can understand DNS log file. Any web
    site? I cannot find one.

    L.

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I have some troubles with private root servers in our
    >>network, then I want to turn on logging of DNS actions.
    >>Can you recomend me some web with this problematics? I
    >>thing which logging options I should turn on, how I can
    >>read log file, etc....
    >>
    >>Tkank you P.L.
    >

    > It is really not a good idea to turn on advanced debug logging except to
    > diagnose a problem. DNS can be asked to resolve hundreds of queries a minute
    > or more, logging these actions for an extended period put considerable load
    > on a DNS server which normally requires very little CPU usage and can cause
    > DNS to overload and fail.
    > For a short period you can turn on debug logging to see what queries are
    > sent to DNS

Microsoft DNS Servers Windows