Sign in with
Your question

Have you ever seen the rain ...

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2006 9:47:42 AM

falling on a laptop. My friend has put a laptop near a windows and yesterday, there was a heavy rain. I just hear his description, it seems that not many rain water came to keyboard so he thought he should turn the laptop over and wipe the keyboard. However, when he started the machine again ( terrible mistake!!!), the machine was on for a few second and stop.

First I told him to put the laptop in the heating room in his family's house basement for a day. But can someone tell me if the motherboard has been finished, is there any chance left.

Thanks

More about : rain

August 19, 2006 11:32:42 AM

My advice would have been to leave the laptop for a couple of hours out in the sun to get it dry before starting it mainly because water and electricity don't mix. Seeing he's already turned it on i'd suggest doing that anyway and see what happens.

If worse comes to worse, you could try to claim it under warranty or pull it apart and see whats blown and see if you can replace it, but chances are the mobo is dead so its probably not worth it.
August 19, 2006 11:47:39 AM

I wouldn't think the worst yet. But, you need to let it dry out longer than a short time. It may take a couple days to dry out. Leave it open and let it dry for a few days and try it again.

It's not like it was covered in metal filings. Water isn't completely conductive, depending on the impurities in the water, so it wouldn't just cause a straight short that is going to start blowing stuff up.
Related resources
August 19, 2006 11:56:59 AM

Yes, that's an old classic song.
August 19, 2006 12:45:36 PM

Best thing to do is to take it apart and dry everything with a hairdryer. Watch out for static electricity though, treat all the parts VERY carefully and make sure you remember where all the connectors go.

If you leave it to dry there could still be water trapped in some places.

Regards
August 19, 2006 1:19:36 PM

If your quick, pull keyboard of and spray the inside with Electrical contact cleaner. Iv'e managed to get 1 laptop and lots of mobile phones working this way.
Can't hurt to give it a try. :) 
August 19, 2006 1:23:46 PM

Won't work (claming under warranty), I work in a shop that sell computers and mobile phones. Lots of phones get droped in water, as soon as we pull them apart we know straint away there've been droped in water. I've also seen several laptops that have had liquid droped on them. You can always tell.
:(  :( 
August 19, 2006 4:40:30 PM

Quote:
Won't work (claming under warranty), I work in a shop that sell computers and mobile phones. Lots of phones get droped in water, as soon as we pull them apart we know straint away there've been droped in water. I've also seen several laptops that have had liquid droped on them. You can always tell.
:(  :( 

I think that in case the electronic stuff has water on it but you do not conenct to electicity , just let the water evaporate so it will be back to normal state like before contacting water. Anyway, it is presumed that water is pure and water just evaporates. Is nit it true. If so, drying it has little effect.
August 19, 2006 4:53:46 PM

I don't know what you just said, but I think you are saying if the water isn't pure it will leave some film or impurities behind and keep the machine from working even after the water has evaporated. If that is what you mean, I seriously doubt it.

I would be willing to bet the machine will work again after it's dried out sufficiently, but time will tell.
a c 123 V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2006 5:03:52 PM

All i can say is let it dry.... it should live again...
A friend got his sound card messed with syrup of some kind(dont ask)
i just tossed it in the sink and gave it the hot water treatment. 2 hours later all was good again :) 

laptops take longer to dry..

Good luck.....
August 19, 2006 5:49:55 PM

lol at first glance at your title I thought you might be stoned. "dude...have you ever seen rain?" :p 
!