Milos

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Hello!
I have just bought a new processor E6600 and I can only say its awesome,but the problem is that NOISE,always bei re-start,scaning,playing games I hear something lout.
Does anyone have problem like I or is that just normal for E6600 or I should do somethin about it?
Thank you all!!!!

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Hi there,

I understand from your post that english is not your first language, as it is your english seems good, but for clarification to help solve your problem I will ask you some questions, answer them induvidually please.

1) Describe the 'NOISE' as best u can, electrical? a broken fan? Beeping? Buzzing?

2) When does the noise happen? As soon as you switch the PC on? After 20 mins? an hour? When u do something specific?

3) If u can open the side/top of your PC can you hear where the noise is comming from? The CPU? The Hard Drives? The Video Card? The Power Supply?

4) Where did you get your PC? Was it built by you or a friend? or bought from a shop/outlet?

In my experience a CPU itself will not make any noise at all!

If anything in a PC would make noise it would be either the Fan on the Heatsink of the CPU, Video Card or in the Power Supply. Hard Drives can make some noise too, especially if they are damaged or about to fail.

This is why you need to be more specific regarding the scource of the noise. This way we can advise you better.

JKay6969

Milos

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Thank you... I am from Austria.
So ....
1. Something like buzzing.
2.As soon as I switch the PC on.But the noise is not always,only when I do something.. surffing,play-games,scaning..
3.You are right,E6600 is OK, Western Digital Raptor, 74 GB, 16MB Cache make that noise .. but I dont know WHY?
I bought it because I have heard and saw that WD 10000upm works better and faster but not louder.Is THAT NORMAL????

I have spend 2000 euro for computer and I say... SILENT PC
and I have ...
E6600
7900 GTX
2 gig RAM
Board D975Xbx
4.I bought PC in a Shop.
Thank you for your time!

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah, your hard-drive seems to be making a lot of noise when seeking. The WD Raptors aren't known for their silent operation. There may be options to silence the drive; I suggest you check out www.silentpcreview.com for hints on quieting computer noise.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hello!
I have just bought a new processor E6600 and I can only say its awesome,but the problem is that NOISE,always bei re-start,scaning,playing games I hear something lout.
Does anyone have problem like I or is that just normal for E6600 or I should do somethin about it?
Thank you all!!!!

The last time my PC was making a lot of noise it was a free power connector touching the CPU fan fins.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
3.You are right,E6600 is OK, Western Digital Raptor, 74 GB, 16MB Cache make that noise .. but I dont know WHY?
I bought it because I have heard and saw that WD 10000upm works better and faster but not louder.Is THAT NORMAL????

The drive might be defective so you should ask the store to replace it.

If the replacement is still too loud exchange it for a bigger 7200 drive. Tell the store that the computer does not operate as quietly as advertised. You could get two quiet drives (80 GB for instance) and run them in RAID 0 (160 GB) for better performance. Your motherboard has that capability. This way you get high performance and more than twice the space of your Raptor. But you have to take into account the noise generated by two drives. Another option is to get a fast 7200 rpm drive, like the new Barracudas. The motor uses fluid dynamic bearings so it should run quietly. You could also run two in RAID 0 for even better performance. Try just one at first and add another one later if you're still not satisfied with the speed.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Hello!
Thank you all!!!!

Strangely enough, I know exactly what you're talking about. :lol:

It's your ram. I can hear mine working too. Like when webpages scroll up and down and when playing games.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Milos, you just bought the PC and paid a lot of money for it. My advice would be, (although people here will likely help you track down the problem), take it back to where you got it from and get them to fix it! If you take it apart and mess around with it, then take it back, they may not be as helpfull. You paid them money for a SILENT PC, so that is what you should have.

Also, like what was suggested. If this is the "normal" operation of the hard drive, exchange it for regular 7200rpm drive. Raptors have better seak times, but apparantly, SATA II will have better throughput (or was that just the Seagate 7200.10's?).

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
RAM doesn't make any noise, it's Solid State with no moving parts....

It is definately your HDD, and to be honest I wouldn't say 100% that there was anything actually wrong with it...It's a Raptor, 10000 RPM ultra quick seek times and fast data transfer are what this drive was designed for, Quiet they are not :)

I must say that after checking your speck, you have definately not got a Silent PC, do you want one? or do you want fast performance in games, windows and any apps?

These days you have to make definate choices with a large degree of compromise. Silent or Fast, the only way to have both silent AND fast is to go a little extreme with your cooling, like the Zalman TNN (Totally No Noise) Case, which is really a huge heatsink to hold all your parts.

I recently built a Home theatre PC and this really brought home how restrictive or expensive this compromise between performance and noise can actually be.

Some of the things I did to lessen noise were to use Zalman CPU and GPU heatsink and fans, very effective as it allowed me to use a 7900GT 512MB OC and an Athlon64 3700+ with next to no noise...I used 2xSamsung 250GB SpinPoint drives, these babies are silent but not nearly as fast as Raptors.

I still have a bit of work to do with noise/vibration dampening on the case, a Thermaltake Mozart with VFD. Good looking (IMO) but not easy to keep quiet due to the smaller sized case fans...Although some Silicone gromets and washers should help, not to forget the AcoustiPack noise dampening Material Kit that I'm going to fit. This should bring noise down to almost non existant, perfect for a HTPC.

Just keep in mind that a performance Gaming rig doesn't need to be quiet! Just fast ;-)

JKay6969

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I would say that you would be hard pushed to find a faster overall drive than the Raptor!

SATA2 drives shouldn't make much impact on this due to the fact that the performance of HDD's is generally not bottlenecked by the interface, SATA, SATA2, PATA133 etc, etc...Performance of hard drives are more limited by their mechanical characteristics, Spindle Speed, Cache, Platter Density, etc, etc...

The Raptor has high spec on all these...hence it is still the drive to beat!!!

JKay6969

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Hello!
Thank you all!!!!

The last time my PC was making a lot of noise it was a free power connector touching the CPU fan fins.
That could be it, same with me.

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Perhaps you do not know the differance between RAM and Hard Drive?

If you do, and you are 100% sure that the buzzing noise is coming from the RAM Stick/s on your motherboard, situated close to your CPU, then my advice to you is to...SWITCH OFF YOUR PC IMMEDIATELY!!!! If your RAM is buzzing at all then there must be an electrical fault and there is a high risk of Fire or burnout through short circuit!!!

I hope for your sake you don't know the difference between RAM and a Hard Drive ;-) lol

JKay6969

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Can you give me some HD test that I can see what is realy wrong with HD?
Thanx!

Go to the WD web site and down load their test software, it's free and will perform a through test of your drive.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Perhaps you do not know the differance between RAM and Hard Drive?

If you do, and you are 100% sure that the buzzing noise is coming from the RAM Stick/s on your motherboard, situated close to your CPU, then my advice to you is to...SWITCH OFF YOUR PC IMMEDIATELY!!!! If your RAM is buzzing at all then there must be an electrical fault and there is a high risk of Fire or burnout through short circuit!!!

I hope for your sake you don't know the difference between RAM and a Hard Drive ;-) lol

JKay6969

I can hear my ram "buzz" as well. And I assure you I know the difference between a raid array and ram.

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I certainly do know the difference between a RAID ARRAY and RAM...

RAM is Random Access Memory, most commonly associated with computer Memory.

Generally, RAM in a computer is considered main memory (or primary storage): the working area used for displaying and manipulating data. This type of RAM is usually in the form of integrated circuits (IC). These are commonly called memory sticks or RAM sticks because they are manufactured as small circuit boards with plastic packaging and are about the size of a few sticks of gum. Most personal computers have slots for adding and replacing memory chips.

A RAID ARRAY is a number of preferrably identical Hard Drives connected to a RAID Controller. There are a number of different RAID ARRAY settings to chose from depending on the requirement of the storage. The RAID ARRAY can be configured for performance, data reliability, fault tolerance or storage capacity.

I have been building, upgrading and repairing PC's for over 17 years now. I have Personally built over 400 PC's in my life over the years. I have also helped to build well over a few hundred thousand while I worked for Elonex...Funnily enough I was in charge of CPU's and RAM...None of that RAM Buzzed either...

I have set up a few RAID ARRAYS in my time, I have even sorted a few botched ARRAYS too.

I have fitted plenty of SIMMS and DIMMS (RAM) in my time and I must admit that in 17 years I have never heard a single SIMM or DIMM 'BUZZ' or make any other sound through normal operation for that matter...

Now my questions to you are...

1) Do You know the difference between RAM and Hard Drive?

2) Do You know the difference between RAM and RAID ARRAY?

3) Is the buzzing coming from your case? Your Speakers? or is it purely heard in your ears? Tinitus could be the cause of this confusion ;-)

4) Do you still say that your RAM is buzzing? If so do you realise it is probably faulty and quite possibly dangerous?

5) Do you realise that RAM is SOLID STATE? Due to this fact, it has no moving parts and therefore has nothing to make it buzz...

Perhaps it is just me that has silent RAM...Perhaps anyone else out there with BUZZING RAM would like to say their peice?

After re-reading all the Buzzing RAM posts, I truly hope that this is a wind up ;-) Otherwise I now know there are more computer illiterrate people on these forums giving out 'Crazy' advice than I had first imagined...

You're hearing things like PLLs and coils resonating from inductance when they operate at certain frequencies. My laptop's NIC does this all the time and this is the source of the "mooing" of the MacBooks. It's normal and does not hurt anything.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
It could also be his PSU or the VRM on the motherboard. I'd say take it back to the shop and get them to sort it out. My raptor was a little noisy when it was in my Antec 1000AMG case but now that it's in my P180 with it's rubber mounts it's as good as silent.

microchip246

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
not to argue anything but I have the same "ram" sound, not saying it is from the ram, but I have a high pitched sound. NOT FROM hdd nor power supply.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Hello!
Thank you all!!!!

Its the Knuter valve in the CPU. In order to keep prices on Core 2 E6600 low, Intel bid the Knuter valve contract out to a cheap and somewhat disreputable supplier, who has been providing a very low quality products. The Knuter valve regultates the flow of electricity to the frangible gidgit. When these cheap knuter valves heat up, they get noisy as they cycle from the On Normal position to the On Full Force position.

About the only thing you can do, is to take it to a computer shop, and have a gonculation performed to lubricate the valve.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knuter+valve

This has been a joke, lame though it might be