mx and a record question

Scott

I am running win2k server. we have 2 companies in our network.Both of which
are on their own domain. Both can email out to the world fine . The other
company which is on 2003 environment cna email us fine (due to a connector
they created in exchange. However we cannot email them or even reply. it
instead is stuck in our qeue the connector was working fine before. The only
thing changed was the os to our pix firewall. I was told that I need to
create an mx record and an a record in our DNS so that we can send mail to
them ... any ideas

In news:C93D2473-1E51-4E31-9546-06C223C8FE97@microsoft.com,
scott <scott@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> I am running win2k server. we have 2 companies in our network.Both of
> which are on their own domain. Both can email out to the world fine .
> The other company which is on 2003 environment cna email us fine (due
> to a connector they created in exchange. However we cannot email them
> or even reply. it instead is stuck in our qeue the connector was
> working fine before. The only thing changed was the os to our pix
> firewall. I was told that I need to create an mx record and an a
> record in our DNS so that we can send mail to them ... any ideas

Have you tried deleting the connector and re-creating it (whether it is SMTP
or X.400)?

Provided that did not help, please elaborate what you mean by ..."The only
thing that was changed was the os to our PIX firewall".
1. Does that mean you changed the WAN IP?
2. Is it a new PIX?
3. Firewall rules allow outbound DNS and mail traffic?

Other questions to get a better picture of your config:
1. Are both domain names entered in each of your company's DNS server?
2. Can you resolve (ping) their mail server's MX record?

Obviously, since you are receiving mail, it tells me your port remapping is
working from the PIX to the internal mail server.

FYI, Exchange will simply send mail based on an MX lookup, unless you have a
connector configured with a specific IP address for the mail server you want
to send mail to for that specific domain. If the messages are stuck in the
queue, that tells me the connector is either misconfigured (wrong IP or
misspelled domain name), or the change in the PIX box is preventing either a
lookup to that domain, or the actual traffic to that domain (but not sure
because I don't understand what was changed with the PIX box).

Can you elaborate?

--?
Regards,
Ace