Windows 2003 DC & DNS - Active Directory

Hello All;

I need some information on setting up DNS on our 2003 DC.
For Active Directory Support.
I followed the information here:
http://www.petri.co.il/install_and_configure_w2k_dns_server.htm
And the information here
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237675

But it is all for windows 2000 DNS.
Though it is different in 2003, I still was able to set up my DNS in 2003.

This is the main question here:

In the [Forward lookup zone]
It has an "A" Record already for the [2003 DC]
Do I need to add an "A" Record for each of the other Servers and Machines
In the Network?

-------------------
These are the problems that I am having:

Our other 2003 Domain Member Server.
When making shares, it is not giving us the [Locations] Domain-Name.
It only shows the -2003 Server.. And no Domain?

-------------------
Another problem that we are experiencing:

When browsing the network on the 2000 Pro Domain Members.
Sometimes that get the Warning:
[Their correctly are no Domain Controllers to service the request.]

-------------------
Any idea's on this will be extremely helpful.

Thank You
Wayne
3 answers Last reply
More about windows 2003 active directory

    Yes, that should occur automatically assuming the zone is configured to
    permit dynamic update and the members/DCs DNS resolver is pointed toward
    this DNS server.

    --
    Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
    MSEtechnology

    Wayne & Carr wrote:
    > Hello All;
    >
    > I need some information on setting up DNS on our 2003 DC.
    > For Active Directory Support.
    > I followed the information here:
    > http://www.petri.co.il/install_and_configure_w2k_dns_server.htm
    > And the information here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237675
    >
    > But it is all for windows 2000 DNS.
    > Though it is different in 2003, I still was able to set up my DNS in
    > 2003.
    >
    > This is the main question here:
    >
    > In the [Forward lookup zone]
    > It has an "A" Record already for the [2003 DC]
    > Do I need to add an "A" Record for each of the other Servers and
    > Machines In the Network?
    >
    > -------------------
    > These are the problems that I am having:
    >
    > Our other 2003 Domain Member Server.
    > When making shares, it is not giving us the [Locations] Domain-Name.
    > It only shows the -2003 Server.. And no Domain?
    >
    > -------------------
    > Another problem that we are experiencing:
    >
    > When browsing the network on the 2000 Pro Domain Members.
    > Sometimes that get the Warning:
    > [Their correctly are no Domain Controllers to service the request.]
    >

    > -------------------
    > Any idea's on this will be extremely helpful.
    >
    > Thank You
    > Wayne

    In news:eLtbwj0GFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Wayne & Carr <spam@spam.net> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hello All;
    >
    > I need some information on setting up DNS on our 2003
    > DC.
    > For Active Directory Support.
    > I followed the information here:
    > http://www.petri.co.il/install_and_configure_w2k_dns_server.htm
    > And the information here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237675
    >
    > But it is all for windows 2000 DNS.
    > Though it is different in 2003, I still was able to set
    > up my DNS in 2003.
    >
    > This is the main question here:
    >
    > In the [Forward lookup zone]
    > It has an "A" Record already for the [2003 DC]
    > Do I need to add an "A" Record for each of the other
    > Servers and Machines In the Network?
    >
    > -------------------
    > These are the problems that I am having:
    >
    > Our other 2003 Domain Member Server.
    > When making shares, it is not giving us the [Locations]
    > Domain-Name.
    > It only shows the -2003 Server.. And no Domain?
    >
    > -------------------
    > Another problem that we are experiencing:
    >
    > When browsing the network on the 2000 Pro Domain Members.
    > Sometimes that get the Warning:
    > [Their correctly are no Domain Controllers to service the
    > request.]

    First rule in Active Directory, make sure all DCs and member clients use the
    DC's address for DNS, only!
    Clients are not required to register in DNS, but file servers should. Make
    sure the file servers and clients you want registered in DNS have the
    correct primary DNS suffix.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" >
    > First rule in Active Directory, make sure all DCs and member clients use
    the
    > DC's address for DNS, only!
    > Clients are not required to register in DNS, but file servers should. Make
    > sure the file servers and clients you want registered in DNS have the
    > correct primary DNS suffix.

    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :-)
    Did I forget to say Thank You?

    That was it, just needed to remove all the other DNS Entries in the 2003
    Server
    And the other machines, Reboot and it works like a charm.

    The 2003 Domain Member now sees the Domain :-)

    Thank you once again

    Some to add to our KB.

    Wayne

Windows Server 2003 DNS Active Directory Windows