Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New printer but some files want to use the old one

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 1:36:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have replaced my Epson 880 with an Epson C86.
The installation went easily and the new printer works fine. The problem is
that many of my (thousands of ) files are still set to use my old printer.
This means that every time I open a document, I have to reset to the new
printer. If I fail to do this, the new printer locks up. Epsons advice is
that the old and new drivers must be conflicting somehow (And these from the
same company!!!).
Is there any way to set ALL my documents/files to only use the new printer
by default?
Any advice appreciated.
Chrisssss.........

More about : printer files

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 1:36:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:36:22 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
"Chrisssssss........." <chris@newsgroupinfo.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I have replaced my Epson 880 with an Epson C86.
>The installation went easily and the new printer works fine. The problem is
>that many of my (thousands of ) files are still set to use my old printer.
>This means that every time I open a document, I have to reset to the new
>printer. If I fail to do this, the new printer locks up. Epsons advice is
>that the old and new drivers must be conflicting somehow (And these from the
>same company!!!).
>Is there any way to set ALL my documents/files to only use the new printer
>by default?
>Any advice appreciated.
>Chrisssss.........
>

I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:01:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Have you set your new printer as the default printer? If not click on "start",
"settings", printers. This will bring up "printers" window. Right click on the
new printer you just installed and click on "Set as Default Printer". All Word
document will switch to the default printer for printing. Well, there will be
softwares that will remember a particular printer. Any software that has some
dependency on the format of the paper to be printed, such as address labels or
shipping labels, will keep trying to print on the printer it remembered.


Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:36:22 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
> "Chrisssssss........." <chris@newsgroupinfo.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>>I have replaced my Epson 880 with an Epson C86.
>>The installation went easily and the new printer works fine. The problem is
>>that many of my (thousands of ) files are still set to use my old printer.
>>This means that every time I open a document, I have to reset to the new
>>printer. If I fail to do this, the new printer locks up. Epsons advice is
>>that the old and new drivers must be conflicting somehow (And these from the
>>same company!!!).
>>Is there any way to set ALL my documents/files to only use the new printer
>>by default?
>>Any advice appreciated.
>>Chrisssss.........
>>
>
>
> I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
> ----------
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> http://EdwardGRuf.com
Related resources
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:42:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Chrisssssss........." <chris@newsgroupinfo.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D aqmm1$pi4$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I have replaced my Epson 880 with an Epson C86.
> The installation went easily and the new printer works fine. The problem
> is that many of my (thousands of ) files are still set to use my old
> printer. This means that every time I open a document, I have to reset to
> the new printer. If I fail to do this, the new printer locks up. Epsons
> advice is that the old and new drivers must be conflicting somehow (And
> these from the same company!!!).
> Is there any way to set ALL my documents/files to only use the new printer
> by default?
> Any advice appreciated.
> Chrisssss.........

What kind of files are you printing? Most files wouldn't store printing
preferences. Maybe an application might, but even then normally the
application will just use your default printer. Have you set the new printer
as your default in printer in control panel?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:15:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
wrote:


>
>I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.


I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
printer info.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
July 11, 2005 4:15:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>
>>I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>
>
> I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
> printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
> stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
> except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
> printer info.

Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect. That plus the
ability to show all formatting codes within the document. I also have MS
Word for document portability when dealing with others in exchanging
documents.

>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
July 11, 2005 4:37:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> It's easy to tell you have absolutely no idea in this world what Burt is
> even talking about!

I'm not a big fan of WP but it still has a nitch market among law
firms. I seem to remember at one point there was an option in word to
show carriage returns but as I wouldn't have used word for that feature
since pre 97 I don't know if it's in the current ones. I don't think I
needed to use it as one could in theory search and replace double
return (^j^m^j^m) with "<<EOP>>", remove all the carriage return
(replace with spaces), and replace <<EOP>> with a carriage return. In
a pinch I could use notepad with word wrap off to view documents that
are CRed at the end of each line and remove them. Otherwise I'd use
something like qedit/TSE which is more geard tward raw text editing
than either WP or Word.

But hey, if WP does the job more power too you. On this machine I
installed Open Office not because I don't have Word just to see how
well I can live without Word.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:39:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Burt wrote:

>"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
>
>
>>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>>>
>>>
>>I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
>>printer info.
>>
>>
>
>Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>

What a revelation. Now I understand everything. Born Again Perfect

>That plus the
>ability to show all formatting codes
>
Ancient times.

>within the document. I also have MS
>Word for document portability when dealing with others
>
I did not think you have others to deal with.

>in exchanging
>documents.
>
>
>
>>--
>>
>>Hecate - The Real One
>>Hecate@newsguy.com
>>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
July 11, 2005 6:23:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:wdjAe.544$mN1.436@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> Burt wrote:
>
(snip)
>
>>>I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>>printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>>stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>>except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
>>>printer info.
>>
>>Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>
> What a revelation. Now I understand everything. Born Again Perfect

Now you understand NOTHING about the relative merits of these two word
processing programs. It is PERFECTLY apparent that you don't understand the
problem of dealing with MS Word and its individual document formatting as
opposed to the ease of changing printers to print Wordperfect documents.
>
>>That plus the ability to show all formatting codes
> Ancient times.

Ancient, until you scan documents into a word processing program with OCR
or import ASCII files and then try to reformat them. Hidden codes for line
spacing, paragraph breaks after each line, indents using spaces instead of
tabs, etc. are much easier to find and eliminate in Wordperfect. With your
teen age mentality you have no respect or understanding of anything (or
anyone) over 15 years old. With any kind of luck (yours, not ours) you may
get older and wiser. Come back and spar with us then.
>
>>within the document. I also have MS Word for document portability when
>>dealing with others
> I did not think you have others to deal with.

Unlike you, I don't work at alienating everyone I deal with.


>
>>in exchanging documents.
>>
>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>Hecate - The Real One
>>>Hecate@newsguy.com
>>>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>>>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:23:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

It is not MS Office files that remember the printer. My word documents
always choose the default printer. Overtime I changed printer I reset
the default printer. MS Word will use that printer.

On the other hand Kodak's EasyShare software does not look for the default
printer. It always remembers the old one regardless what the default is.
My Avery label printing software too remembers the old one. But MS Word
and another example Photoshop always choose the default.


Hecate wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>
>>I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>
>
>
> I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
> printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
> stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
> except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
> printer info.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:38:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>news:wdjAe.544$mN1.436@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
>>Burt wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>(snip)
>
>
>>>>I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>>>printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>>>stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>>>except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
>>>>printer info.
>>>>
>>>>

You are so stupid I just cannot get over it.

>>>Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>>>
>>>
>>What a revelation. Now I understand everything. Born Again Perfect
>>
>>
>
>Now you understand NOTHING about the relative merits of these two word
>processing programs. It is PERFECTLY apparent that you don't understand the
>problem of dealing with MS Word and its individual document formatting as
>opposed to the ease of changing printers to print Wordperfect documents.
>
>
>>>That plus the ability to show all formatting codes
>>>
>>>
>>Ancient times.
>>
>>

>You are so stupid I just cannot get over it.
>
>

>You are so stupid I just cannot get over it.
>
>
>Ancient, until you scan documents into a word processing program with OCR
>or import ASCII files and then try to reformat them. Hidden codes for line
>spacing, paragraph breaks after each line, indents using spaces instead of
>tabs, etc. are much easier to find and eliminate in Wordperfect. With your
>teen age mentality you have no respect or understanding of anything (or
>anyone) over 15 years old. With any kind of luck (yours, not ours) you may
>get older and wiser. Come back and spar with us then.
>
>

Hey Dumbell, Satelitte Software was sold so many times it is a joke.
Now Corel owns them. Word has 95% of the market including apple.

>>>within the document. I also have MS Word for document portability when
>>>dealing with others
>>>
>>>
>>I did not think you have others to deal with.
>>
>>
>
>Unlike you, I don't work at alienating everyone I deal with.
>
>

I think ou do a real good job of it.

>
>
>
>>>in exchanging documents.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>--
>>>>
>>>>Hecate - The Real One
>>>>Hecate@newsguy.com
>>>>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>>>>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:31:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Burt wrote:
> "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
>
>>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>>
>>
>>I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
>>printer info.
>
>
> Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.

And I prefer Lotus Word Pro over MS Word any day. Even Serif PagePlus
has a better word-processing program within. If I didn't need MS Word
for business (with others), I'd a trashed it long ago. I've never seen
a more illogical program in my life. To do the simplest things you have
to go to 3 or 4 sub menus. Incomprehensible. Leave it to MS to comp-
licate without improvement.

-Taliesyn
July 11, 2005 1:52:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Chrisssssss........." <chris@newsgroupinfo.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D aqmm1$pi4$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I have replaced my Epson 880 with an Epson C86.
> The installation went easily and the new printer works fine. The problem
> is that many of my (thousands of ) files are still set to use my old
> printer. This means that every time I open a document, I have to reset to
> the new printer. If I fail to do this, the new printer locks up. Epsons
> advice is that the old and new drivers must be conflicting somehow (And
> these from the same company!!!).
> Is there any way to set ALL my documents/files to only use the new printer
> by default?
> Any advice appreciated.
> Chrisssss.........


Have you tried deleting the old printer? When you open the files in
question, you may get a message telling you the pritner has changed. Just
say ok. you may see some reflowing of text if the printable area of the new
pritner differ from the original printer.

Mark
July 11, 2005 6:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Hahahaha, nobody is more "out of step with the marketplace" than you!

I wonder what being in step with the market place has to do with
anything. The only thing I can think of is the default canon offering
for OCR is semi decent in establishing the differences between end of
paragraph and end of line. But no OCR package is perfect and I can see
where visual cues can be of great benifit post conversion.

The market place be damned... use what works.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:25:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

zakezuke wrote:

>> It's easy to tell you have absolutely no idea in this world what Burt is
>>even talking about!
>>
>>
>
>I'm not a big fan of WP but it still has a nitch market among law
>firms.
>
The only reason the lawyers supported it was because Satelite Software
and others made legal addons to WP. WP got left in the dust with WordStar.


But the tinkerer type would probably like it.

>I seem to remember at one point there was an option in word to
>show carriage returns but as I wouldn't have used word for that feature
>since pre 97 I don't know if it's in the current ones. I don't think I
>needed to use it as one could in theory search and replace double
>return (^j^m^j^m) with "<<EOP>>", remove all the carriage return
>(replace with spaces), and replace <<EOP>>
>
ha ha ha

>with a carriage return. In
>a pinch I could use notepad with word wrap off to view documents that
>are CRed at the end of each line and remove them. Otherwise I'd use
>something like qedit/TSE which is more geard tward raw text editing
>than either WP or Word.
>
>But hey, if WP does the job more power too you. On this machine I
>installed Open Office not because I don't have Word just to see how
>well I can live without Word.
>
>

I think it might be as good to write in hex.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:27:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Taliesyn wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
>>
>>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>> printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>> stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>> except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
>>> printer info.
>>
>>
>>
>> Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>
>
> And I prefer Lotus Word Pro over MS Word any day. Even Serif PagePlus
> has a better word-processing program within. If I didn't need MS Word
> for business (with others), I'd a trashed it long ago. I've never seen
> a more illogical program in my life. To do the simplest things you have
> to go to 3 or 4 sub menus. Incomprehensible. Leave it to MS to comp-
> licate without improvement.
>
> -Taliesyn


You are proving you do not know what you are talking about and are out
of step with the marketplace. But being wet behind the ears I can
understand this.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:27:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:
>
>
> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Burt wrote:
>>
>>> "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>> news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>>> printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>>> stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>>> except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
>>>> printer info.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>>
>>
>>
>> And I prefer Lotus Word Pro over MS Word any day. Even Serif PagePlus
>> has a better word-processing program within. If I didn't need MS Word
>> for business (with others), I'd a trashed it long ago. I've never seen
>> a more illogical program in my life. To do the simplest things you have
>> to go to 3 or 4 sub menus. Incomprehensible. Leave it to MS to comp-
>> licate without improvement.
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>
>
>
> You are proving you do not know what you are talking about and are out
> of step with the marketplace. But being wet behind the ears I can
> understand this.

I don't have to prove anything to you. MS Word is illogical, clumsy,
inefficient and poorly designed, just to mention some of the praise
words I have for it. It's a pain in the ass, and I wouldn't recommend
it to anyone but tinkerers and hobbyists. ;-)

-Taliesyn
July 11, 2005 9:14:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:1ewAe.900$mN1.280@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Burt wrote:
>>
>>> "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>> news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>>> printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>>> stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>>> except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing the
>>>> printer info.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>>
>>
>> And I prefer Lotus Word Pro over MS Word any day. Even Serif PagePlus
>> has a better word-processing program within. If I didn't need MS Word for
>> business (with others), I'd a trashed it long ago. I've never seen
>> a more illogical program in my life. To do the simplest things you have
>> to go to 3 or 4 sub menus. Incomprehensible. Leave it to MS to comp-
>> licate without improvement.
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>
>
> You are proving you do not know what you are talking about and are out of
> step with the marketplace. But being wet behind the ears I can understand
> this.

Unfortunately, the marketplace does not always bring the best product to the
top of the sales charts. Microsoft has a lock on the OS and browser
marketplace as well as Word and the more expansive MS Office package. Other
browsers are safer and at least as functional. The planned obsolescence of
each iteration of Windows requires users to upgrade when the version they
are using still suits their needs. Anyone like me who started with the first
versions of window and has upgraded as each new version appeared can
remember, not so fondly, the constant crashes.

I use both Wordperfect and MS Word and each has its strengths and
weaknesses. In my estimation, Word's integration with the other programs in
MS Office has value for people who need it. I find certain of the
formatting functions cumbersome as compared to WP, and the previously
mentioned formatting code screen in WP as well as easier formatting for many
kinds of documents is invaluable.

I believe that MS Word increased its share in the marketplace because MS is
the giant corporation that it is and this product was carried along in the
marketplace with its major product, the windows OS. In addition, the
original developer and vendor of WP, which by the way had the absolute best
customer support of any software package, sold to Corel it lost momentum in
the marketplace.

Measekite is certainly "wet behind the ears" as he describes himself.
Wordstar predates DOS-based IBM PC's and was adapted to function under DOS.
It was extremely popular and had some adherents long past its prime due to
several valuable characteristics, two of which were extremely small program
files (unlike the current bloated programs) and keystroke combinations that
precluded the need for going to a menu for each function or taking your
hands from the keyboard to use a mouse. Keeping your hands on the keyboard
in typing position while accessing various special key combinations
permitted much greater input speed for a good typinst. It was ultimately no
match for WP or Word and died.

Measekite takes great pleasure in criticizing my posts but doesn't have the
history, knowledge, civility, or humility to acknowledge when someone knows
something he doesn't. Newer is not always better. More expensive is not
always better. Being at the top of the sales charts is not always a sign of
superiority of a product. And Invective never makes an argument stronger or
more believable. I would also acknowledge on my part that being older and
more experienced doesn't automatically confer wisdom.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:49:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Taliesyn wrote:
>>
>>> Burt wrote:
>>>
>>>> "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
>>>>
>>>>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>>>> printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>>>> stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>>>> except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing
>>>>> the
>>>>> printer info.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> And I prefer Lotus Word Pro over MS Word any day. Even Serif PagePlus
>>> has a better word-processing program within. If I didn't need MS
>>> Word for business (with others), I'd a trashed it long ago. I've
>>> never seen
>>> a more illogical program in my life. To do the simplest things you have
>>> to go to 3 or 4 sub menus. Incomprehensible. Leave it to MS to comp-
>>> licate without improvement.
>>>
>>> -Taliesyn
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> You are proving you do not know what you are talking about and are
>> out of step with the marketplace. But being wet behind the ears I
>> can understand this.
>
>
> I don't have to prove anything to you. MS Word is illogical, clumsy,
> inefficient and poorly designed, just to mention some of the praise
> words I have for it. It's a pain in the ass, and I wouldn't recommend
> it to anyone but tinkerers and hobbyists. ;-)
>
> -Taliesyn

BOY ARE YOU A BOY
July 11, 2005 10:49:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:
>
>
> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Taliesyn wrote:
>>>
>>>> Burt wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>>>> news:gta3d19crbmt3bspvti14msfqvldt19jn8@4ax.com...
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:17:02 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I'll bet these are MS Office files which store the printer settings.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'm sure you're right. I had the same problem a while back when a
>>>>>> printer died. And it's not a driver clash because the new printer was
>>>>>> stalled over a freshly installed OS. There is nothing you can do
>>>>>> except rese6t the printer in every file thanks to Word etc storing
>>>>>> the
>>>>>> printer info.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Another of the many reasons that I stayed with Wordperfect.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> And I prefer Lotus Word Pro over MS Word any day. Even Serif PagePlus
>>>> has a better word-processing program within. If I didn't need MS
>>>> Word for business (with others), I'd a trashed it long ago. I've
>>>> never seen
>>>> a more illogical program in my life. To do the simplest things you have
>>>> to go to 3 or 4 sub menus. Incomprehensible. Leave it to MS to comp-
>>>> licate without improvement.
>>>>
>>>> -Taliesyn
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> You are proving you do not know what you are talking about and are
>>> out of step with the marketplace. But being wet behind the ears I
>>> can understand this.
>>
>>
>>
>> I don't have to prove anything to you. MS Word is illogical, clumsy,
>> inefficient and poorly designed, just to mention some of the praise
>> words I have for it. It's a pain in the ass, and I wouldn't recommend
>> it to anyone but tinkerers and hobbyists. ;-)
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>
>
> BOY ARE YOU A BOY

This guys are lunatic isn't he?
Frank
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:33:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:23:48 GMT, " Stevelee" <"
Stevelee"@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It is not MS Office files that remember the printer. My word documents
>always choose the default printer. Overtime I changed printer I reset
>the default printer. MS Word will use that printer.
>
>On the other hand Kodak's EasyShare software does not look for the default
>printer. It always remembers the old one regardless what the default is.
>My Avery label printing software too remembers the old one. But MS Word
>and another example Photoshop always choose the default.
>
>
Except that, when you go to print an old document, it then gives you a
warning that the document isn't compatible with the default printer.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:03:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

What software are you printing from... and which OS are you using? it
must be something that embeds the printer model into the file. If you
replaced the printer, and made it your default printer, doesn't your
program select it?


Art

Chrisssssss......... wrote:

> I have replaced my Epson 880 with an Epson C86.
> The installation went easily and the new printer works fine. The problem is
> that many of my (thousands of ) files are still set to use my old printer.
> This means that every time I open a document, I have to reset to the new
> printer. If I fail to do this, the new printer locks up. Epsons advice is
> that the old and new drivers must be conflicting somehow (And these from the
> same company!!!).
> Is there any way to set ALL my documents/files to only use the new printer
> by default?
> Any advice appreciated.
> Chrisssss.........
>
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:03:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:03:35 GMT, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

>What software are you printing from... and which OS are you using? it
>must be something that embeds the printer model into the file. If you
>replaced the printer, and made it your default printer, doesn't your
>program select it?
>
It's probably Word the OP is using. It foes do that (embed the printer
model and settings)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
!