Any problem putting pre-2k domain name in DNS

I have a utility where for some reason it cannot connect to a domain
controller with the pre w2k domain name without it being in the HOSTS file.
I don't want to have to manage a bunch of HOSTS files on the PCs that have
the utility so I was wondering if it is OK to put MYDOMAIN as an entry in
the DNS and point it to a DC on my W2K servers?

I don't see why not, but I wanted to be sure.
1 answer Last reply
More about problem putting domain

    In news:evhjhV2GFHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Jordan <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I have a utility where for some reason it cannot connect
    > to a domain controller with the pre w2k domain name
    > without it being in the HOSTS file. I don't want to have
    > to manage a bunch of HOSTS files on the PCs that have the
    > utility so I was wondering if it is OK to put MYDOMAIN as
    > an entry in the DNS and point it to a DC on my W2K
    > servers?
    >
    > I don't see why not, but I wanted to be sure.

    You can create the zone, but the client won't look in it due to the DNS
    suffix search list. If the client does a lookup for a single-label name, the
    DNS client sees it as a host name and will append the suffixes in the DNS
    suffix search list and will not query DNS for the name without the suffixes.
    Example, if you have mydomain.com in the DNS suffix search list the client
    will query DNS for mydomain.mydomain.com and not for mydomain, unless you
    add a trailing "." (dot) after the name, e.g. "mydomain." The trailing dot
    stops the client from appending suffixes and will send the single-label
    query to DNS.
    The primary and Connection specific suffixes are appended by default, also
    appended are parent suffixes of the Primary DNS suffix, if the Primary DNS
    suffix is a third level name, if the primary DNS suffix is sub.mydomain.com,
    then that name plus mydomain.com will be appended. There is an option of
    deselecting append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix in TCP/IP
    properties on the DNS tab. But that won't help you, your problem is getting
    the system to stop appending in the first place without the trailing dot.

    Of course, knowing the DNS suffixes are appended, you can create a host
    named mydomain with the IP you want it to resolve to in the domain zone that
    is in the DNS suffix search list. Then when the suffix is appended by the
    client, it will return an IP address.

    If you want to see the DNS suffix appending in action, run nslookup with
    the -d2 option, e.g. nslookup -d2

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]