extending a partition in my E & F

hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned as
F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E and
I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can be
done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant did'nt
know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help
5 answers Last reply
More about extending partition

    Hello,

    I strongly recommend a third party software program to help you with this.
    It will make it A LOT easier.
    Partition a drive

    http://www.bootitng.com/

    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    Michael Ortega

    "wolfy600" <wolfy600@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned
    > as
    > F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E
    > and
    > I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can
    > be
    > done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant
    > did'nt
    > know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

    You need third party software to repartition a drive without data loss. The
    most common application for doing this is Partition Magic from Symantec
    (ensure it is up-to-date with the latest patches before you use it). With PM
    you simply delete your E partition then resize the F partition. It is very
    easy to do with PM. However you must backup important data first as
    repartitioning can fail rendering the data difficult to retrieve without
    special recovery software.

    There are a number of other repartitioning tools that one can use other than
    Partition Magic. Acronis Disk Director is a very good option as well
    http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/ BootIt NG is not as easy to
    use but is generally less expensive and is generally more stable.

    You can not resize your F into E from Windows alone without data loss on
    both partitions so don't try it.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "wolfy600" <wolfy600@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned
    as
    | F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E
    and
    | I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can
    be
    | done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant
    did'nt
    | know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

    Dear wolfy600,
    Do you want to merge your empty partition E into F? If so, what's the file
    system FAT or NTFS of partition drive E? Do you use one of partition manager
    softwares like Partition Magic? How many partitions do your drive have?

    Best regards,

    "wolfy600" wrote:

    > hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned as
    > F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E and
    > I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can be
    > done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant did'nt
    > know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

    thank you for your input and it is partition e,f,g it seems as if everyone is
    telling me that i have to use a partitioning tool but i guess that i have
    to. I read that in windows that i could do this but i have tried several
    times and it hasn't worked and it is formatted in a NTFS as it is supposed
    tobe any more info would really help thanks for your time

    In news:554C816D-B6FE-4D15-88F6-B143295A60D9@microsoft.com,
    wolfy600 <wolfy600@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > thank you for your input and it is partition e,f,g it seems as
    > if
    > everyone is telling me that i have to use a partitioning tool
    > but i
    > guess that i have to. I read that in windows that i could do
    > this

    Sorry, but you either read an incorrect statement, or you
    misinterpreted what it said. No version of Windows has ever had
    the ability to change the partition structure of a drive
    nondestructively. A third-party tool is required to do this.

    > but i have tried several times and it hasn't worked and it is
    > formatted in a NTFS as it is supposed tobe

    Your making it NTFS is fine--no argument from me--but it's *not*
    true that that's what "it is supposed to be." It's entirely
    optional.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > any more info would really
    > help thanks for your time
    >
    > "Aung Khant (Student from Myanmar)" wrote:
    >
    >> Dear wolfy600,
    >> Do you want to merge your empty partition E into F? If so,
    >> what's
    >> the file system FAT or NTFS of partition drive E? Do you use
    >> one of
    >> partition manager softwares like Partition Magic? How many
    >> partitions do your drive have?
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>

    >> "wolfy600" wrote:
    >>
    >> > hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my
    >> > drives
    >> > partioned as F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend
    >> > my
    >> > volume F into my empty E and I have alot of info that I do
    >> > not
    >> > want to loose, window help says it can be done with out
    >> > loosing
    >> > the info but but every time I try it say it cant did'nt know
    >> > if
    >> > anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

Partition Microsoft Windows XP