Not able to join domain

Hi there,

I have recently encountered a problem with joining a computer to the my
local domain.
The machine that needs to join the domain is a Win2K Server. The DC (AD
integrated) is also a Win2K Server.
In total, there are six machines on the LAN. All are working fine
(network-wise), except this one.

When I try to let it join the domain (domain name = 'Merrick') I get the
following error:

---
The following error occurred validating the name "Merrick".
This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For information about
troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the following
Microsoft Web site:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
----

Unfortunately, any solutions listed on that page have failed to solve this
problem. Everything has been configured exactly as stated on that page, but
I still can't join the domain.

Other facts that may be of importance here:
- the machine that has to be joined to the domain is reachable from other
machines and can reach other machines.
- i can connect to the machine using remote desktop
- from the machine that has to be joined, i can not reach the internet
- nslookup from the fawlty machine returns right results, even for external
sites
- normal local network functionality seems to be ok, except where AD user
authentication is required
- when looking up the main browser or pdc using browstat.exe
(status/getmaster/getpdc) it returns the right results
- the dns settings on the fawlty machine points to the PDC only
- I have joined two other machines to the domain without any problems, so
the problem does not seem to be with the PDC
- there is only one NIC in the fawlty machine

I can't think of anything else and I hope someone here can help me.

Thanks, regards,
Jelle
11 answers Last reply
More about join domain

    In news:%234CpnwkIFHA.1860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    news.microsoft.com <nomail@nomail.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have recently encountered a problem with joining a
    > computer to the my local domain.
    > The machine that needs to join the domain is a Win2K
    > Server. The DC (AD integrated) is also a Win2K Server.
    > In total, there are six machines on the LAN. All are
    > working fine (network-wise), except this one.
    >
    > When I try to let it join the domain (domain name =
    > 'Merrick') I get the following error:
    >
    > ---
    > The following error occurred validating the name
    > "Merrick".
    > This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For
    > information about troubleshooting common DNS lookup
    > problems, please see the following Microsoft Web site:
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=5171
    >
    > The specified domain either does not exist or could not
    > be contacted. ----
    >
    > Unfortunately, any solutions listed on that page have
    > failed to solve this problem. Everything has been
    > configured exactly as stated on that page, but I still
    > can't join the domain.
    >
    > Other facts that may be of importance here:
    > - the machine that has to be joined to the domain is
    > reachable from other machines and can reach other
    > machines.
    > - i can connect to the machine using remote desktop
    > - from the machine that has to be joined, i can not reach
    > the internet
    > - nslookup from the fawlty machine returns right results,
    > even for external sites
    > - normal local network functionality seems to be ok,
    > except where AD user authentication is required
    > - when looking up the main browser or pdc using
    > browstat.exe (status/getmaster/getpdc) it returns the
    > right results
    > - the dns settings on the fawlty machine points to the
    > PDC only
    > - I have joined two other machines to the domain without
    > any problems, so the problem does not seem to be with the
    > PDC - there is only one NIC in the fawlty machine
    >
    > I can't think of anything else and I hope someone here
    > can help me.
    >
    > Thanks, regards,
    > Jelle

    Is merrick the DNS name of the AD domain?
    If it is that is a major problem and you will have to make registry entries
    to the DC and any machine you want to join as a member.

    300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
    Single-Label DNS Names
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684&sd=RMVP

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Hi Kevin,

    No, the FQDN is 'merrick.local'. And I've tried joining the domain using the
    FQDN, but only to get the same error.

    Regards,
    Jelle

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> except where AD user authentication is required
    >> - when looking up the main browser or pdc using
    >> browstat.exe (status/getmaster/getpdc) it returns the
    >> right results
    >> - the dns settings on the fawlty machine points to the
    >> PDC only
    >> - I have joined two other machines to the domain without
    >> any problems, so the problem does not seem to be with the
    >> PDC - there is only one NIC in the fawlty machine
    >>
    >> I can't think of anything else and I hope someone here
    >> can help me.
    >>
    >> Thanks, regards,
    >> Jelle
    >
    > Is merrick the DNS name of the AD domain?
    > If it is that is a major problem and you will have to make registry
    > entries
    > to the DC and any machine you want to join as a member.
    >
    > 300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with

    In news:ul1Pl8tIFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Jelle <nomail@nomail.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi Kevin,
    >
    > No, the FQDN is 'merrick.local'. And I've tried joining
    > the domain using the FQDN, but only to get the same error.

    Are all clients and the DC using only the DC for DNS? (Should be)

    Run netdiag /fix & dcdiag /fix on the DC.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    Kevin,

    Yes, all machines are using only the internal DNS server (DC).
    I've run both netdiag and dcdiag, but all tests return either 'skipped' or
    'passed'

    FYI: I've also posted this question in
    There you'll find other responses, questions and answers, but unfortunately
    no final solution yet :-(

    Do you have any other ideas or suggestions I could try?

    Thank you, regards,

    In news:%23AQcUyxIFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jelle <nomail@nomail.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin,
    >
    > Yes, all machines are using only the internal DNS server
    > (DC).
    > I've run both netdiag and dcdiag, but all tests return
    > either 'skipped' or 'passed'
    >
    > FYI: I've also posted this question in
    > There you'll find other responses, questions and answers,
    > but unfortunately no final solution yet :-(
    >
    > Do you have any other ideas or suggestions I could try?

    Post these things:
    1 ipconfig /all from the DC
    2 zone names in DNS
    3 AD domain name from ADU&C
    4 results from this command on the DC: net start

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Kevin,

    Please find the info you wanted below:

    ** 1) ipconfig /all from DC:

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : merrick.local
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : merrick.local

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL PCI TPC NIC
    (3C900B-TPC)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-02-1C-0B-9B
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    ** 2) DNS Zones on DC:

    Name - Type - Status
    buitenzinne.nl - Secondary - Running
    hoppenbrouwers.net - Standard Primary - Running
    merrick.local - Active Directory-integrated - Running
    merrick.nl - Standard Primary - Running

    ** 3) AD domain name from ADU&C

    merrick.local

    ** 4) results from net start command on the DC

    These Windows 2000 services are started

    Alerter
    Automatic Updates
    Background Intelligent Transfer Serv
    COM+ Event System
    Computer Browser
    DefWatch
    DHCP Client
    DHCP Server
    Distributed File System
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Link Tracking Server
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    DNS Client
    DNS Server
    Event Log
    File Replication Service
    FTP Publishing Service
    IIS Admin Service
    Intersite Messaging
    IPSEC Policy Agent
    Kerberos Key Distribution Center
    License Logging Service
    Logical Disk Manager
    Machine Debug Manager
    Microsoft Search
    MSSQLSERVER
    Net Logon
    Network Connections
    Norton AntiVirus Client
    NT LM Security Support Provider
    Plug and Play
    Print Spooler
    Protected Storage
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    Remote Registry Service
    Removable Storage
    RunAs Service
    Security Accounts Manager
    Server
    Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP
    SNMP Service
    System Event Notification
    Task Scheduler
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service
    Telephony
    Terminal Services
    WebAdmin
    WebTool
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Windows Management Instrumentation D
    Windows Time
    Workstation
    World Wide Web Publishing Service

    The command completed successfully.

    Hope this gives you the info you need!

    Thanks again, regards,

    > In news:%23AQcUyxIFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Jelle <nomail@nomail.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >> Kevin,
    >>
    >> Yes, all machines are using only the internal DNS server
    >> (DC).
    >> I've run both netdiag and dcdiag, but all tests return
    >> either 'skipped' or 'passed'
    >>
    >> FYI: I've also posted this question in
    >> There you'll find other responses, questions and answers,
    >> but unfortunately no final solution yet :-(
    >>
    >> Do you have any other ideas or suggestions I could try?
    >

    > Post these things:
    > 1 ipconfig /all from the DC
    > 2 zone names in DNS
    > 3 AD domain name from ADU&C
    > 4 results from this command on the DC: net start
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OTCPE5yIFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jelle <nomail@nomail.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin,
    >
    > Please find the info you wanted below:
    >
    > ** 1) ipconfig /all from DC:
    >
    > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main
    > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : merrick.local
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    > DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : merrick.local
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com
    > EtherLink XL PCI TPC NIC (3C900B-TPC)
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    > 00-01-02-1C-0B-9B DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . .
    > . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
    > 10.0.0.150 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
    > 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    > 10.0.0.138 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    > 10.0.0.150
    >

    > ** 2) DNS Zones on DC:
    >
    > Name - Type - Status
    > buitenzinne.nl - Secondary - Running
    > hoppenbrouwers.net - Standard Primary - Running
    > merrick.local - Active Directory-integrated - Running
    > merrick.nl - Standard Primary - Running
    >

    > ** 3) AD domain name from ADU&C
    >
    > merrick.local
    >

    > ** 4) results from net start command on the DC

> [...]

    Everything looks OK for the DC, the necessary services are running, you have
    the correct zones in DNS.

    Run netdiag /v on the DC to see if there are any errors and verify that
    Allow dynamic updates is set to Yes or only secure updates.

    Verify the XP client is using the DC for DNS only.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OTCPE5yIFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jelle <nomail@nomail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Kevin,
    >
    > Please find the info you wanted below:

    <snipped>

    Jelle,

    What are these services below?

    > WebAdmin
    > WebTool

    You also have the IPSec Policy agent running. Is there an IPSec Policy in
    place? If so, can you briefly describe the settings please?

    I noticed SQL is on this machine too. This is a DC? It seems like an
    overloaded DC. Was there Zone Alarm on this machine in the past? Are there
    any Event Log errors?

    Do the XP machines have the firewall turned on?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
    =================================
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Hi Kevin,

    Yes, i thought everything looked ok.

    I've run the netdiag /v command on the DC. I won't post the entire results,
    but here are some of them:

    Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed
    NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Passed
    Autonet address test . . . . . . . : Passed
    Winsock test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    The DNS registration for main.merrick.local is correct on all DNS servers
    PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server
    '10.0.0.150'.
    Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Passed
    DC discovery test. . . . . . . . . : Passed
    DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    Kerberos test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    Routing table test . . . . . . . . : Passed
    Netstat information test . . . . . : Passed
    IP Security test . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    IPSec policy service is active, but no policy is assigned.

    It goes on, but the bottom line is: Passed.
    I've also run the same command on the I-don't-wan't-to-join system with
    basically the same results: every test passed or not run.

    But, too be honest, I don't think the problem lies with the PDC. Mostly
    because I've been able to let other machines (new & old) join the domain
    without any trouble whatsoever and all other network operations work fine. I
    have, however, found some weird things on the machine that refuses to join
    the domain:

    I can't start services WWW, SMTP or FTP: "error 126: Module could not be
    found", although IIS Admin service has been started.

    I have a service(!) called 'Internet Explorer' on the fawlty machine.
    The description is 'Internet Explorer Management', the file is
    'C:\WINNT\System32\explorer.exe' and it's set to automatic startup.

    After rebooting this machine, a few entries in the system event log appear,
    which may be related:

    Event Source: DCOM
    Event ID: 10010
    The server {4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097} did not register with DCOM
    within the required timeout.

    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7023
    The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error: Not enough
    resources are available to complete this operation.

    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7024
    The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with
    service-specific error 2147952506.

    It would seem that this is the source of the problem. As I'm typing this,
    I'm running a full NAV virus scan. But I'm not too hopeful about the
    results, since NAV has been running on this machine all along (with daily
    definition updates). It would be a bit strange if it found something now
    while not having found anything real-time.

    Any ideas on this?

> [...]
    >> System Event Notification
    >> Task Scheduler
    >> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service
    >> Telephony
    >> Terminal Services
    >> WebAdmin
    >> WebTool
    >> Windows Management Instrumentation
    >> Windows Management Instrumentation D
    >> Windows Time
    >> Workstation
    >> World Wide Web Publishing Service
    >>
    >> The command completed successfully.
    >>
    >> Hope this gives you the info you need!
    >
    > Everything looks OK for the DC, the necessary services are running, you
    > have
    > the correct zones in DNS.
    >
    > Run netdiag /v on the DC to see if there are any errors and verify that
    > Allow dynamic updates is set to Yes or only secure updates.
    >
    > Verify the XP client is using the DC for DNS only.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Hi Ace,

    > What are these services below?
    >
    >> WebAdmin - WebAdmin tool for MDaemon mailserver (www.mdaemon.com)
    >> WebTool - Microsoft Web Application Stress Tool

    There is no IPSec Policy configured.

    And yes, this is a DC and it is indeed somewhat overloaded. :-)
    Although it is not as bad as it may seem. MSSQL is installed but not in use.
    Same for the mailserver.
    Currently it's only job is being a PDC.

[...]

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:uCmy3P5IFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > In news:OTCPE5yIFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Jelle <nomail@nomail.com> made a post then I commented below
    >> Kevin,
    >>
    >> Please find the info you wanted below:
    >>
    > <snipped>
    >

    > Jelle,
    >
    > What are these services below?
    >
    >> WebAdmin
    >> WebTool
    >
    > You also have the IPSec Policy agent running. Is there an IPSec Policy in
    > place? If so, can you briefly describe the settings please?
    >
    > I noticed SQL is on this machine too. This is a DC? It seems like an
    > overloaded DC. Was there Zone Alarm on this machine in the past? Are there
    > any Event Log errors?
    >
    > Do the XP machines have the firewall turned on?
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
    > =================================

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uif9c26IFHA.3528@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Jelle <nomail@nomail.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hi Ace,
    >
    >> What are these services below?
    >>
    >>> WebAdmin - WebAdmin tool for MDaemon mailserver (www.mdaemon.com)
    >>> WebTool - Microsoft Web Application Stress Tool
    >
    > There is no IPSec Policy configured.
    >
    > And yes, this is a DC and it is indeed somewhat overloaded. :-)
    > Although it is not as bad as it may seem. MSSQL is installed but not
    > in use. Same for the mailserver.
    > Currently it's only job is being a PDC.
    >
    > But, too be honest, I don't think the problem lies with the PDC.
    > Mostly because I've been able to let other machines (new & old) join
    > the domain without any trouble whatsoever and all other network
    > operations work fine. I have, however, found some weird things on the
    > machine that refuses to join the domain:
    >
    > I can't start services WWW, SMTP or FTP: "error 126: Module could not
    > be found", although IIS Admin service has been started.
    >
    > I have a service(!) called 'Internet Explorer' on the fawlty machine.
    > The description is 'Internet Explorer Management', the file is
    > 'C:\WINNT\System32\explorer.exe' and it's set to automatic startup.
    >
    > After rebooting this machine, a few entries in the system event log
    > appear, which may be related:
    >
    > Event Source: DCOM
    > Event ID: 10010
    > The server {4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097} did not register
    > with DCOM within the required timeout.
    >
    > Event Source: Service Control Manager
    > Event ID: 7023
    > The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error: Not
    > enough resources are available to complete this operation.
    >
    > Event Source: Service Control Manager
    > Event ID: 7024
    > The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with
    > service-specific error 2147952506.
    >
    > It would seem that this is the source of the problem. As I'm typing
    > this, I'm running a full NAV virus scan. But I'm not too hopeful
    > about the results, since NAV has been running on this machine all
    > along (with daily definition updates). It would be a bit strange if
    > it found something now while not having found anything real-time.
    >
    > Any ideas on this?
    >
    > Thanks, regards,
    > Jelle

    Explorer.exe?? A service?? NO way... That's a red flag right there. Run an
    antivirus scan, such as Stinger (from McAfee), and a spyware scan. I think
    you got a bug on the machine causing all of this.

    --?
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??

Domain Microsoft DNS Windows