XP machines kicked off Domain randomly

Adam

I have a Specific problem with Xp machines on a 2000 server domain, the Users
with XP on there systems are being kicked off randomly during the day with
error codes "ID 5774" and "source NetLogon" I have looked into this now to
realize that its just a problem with the dymanic registration of the DNS
record. The User then has to logoff and back on and its good for a while. I
was told to use the DCDIAG.EXE diagnostic tool to tell me what is wrong with
the Domain controller.
PROBLEM when i run the DCDIAG tool i get this message, " The procedure entry
point DsIsMangledDnW could not be located in the dynamic link library
NTDSAPI.dll"

the server Event manager gives this message "regsitration of the DNS record
(long number) ._msdcs.dscole.com. 600 in CNAME server.dscole.com. Failed with
"DNS RR set that ought to exist, does not."
Dont know if that helps at all but at least you know what i do.

The Users computer gives this message "windows cannot obtain the domain
controller name for your computer network"

If anyone can help me at least get the DCDIAG tool to work i would greatly
appreciate it. Thanks

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Specific problem with Xp machines on a 2000 server domain, the
Users
> with XP on there systems are being kicked off randomly during the day with
> error codes "ID 5774" and "source NetLogon" I have looked into this now
> realize that its just a problem with the dymanic registration of the DNS
> record. The User then has to logoff and back on and its good for a while.
> was told to use the DCDIAG.EXE diagnostic tool to tell me what is wrong
with
> the Domain controller.
> PROBLEM when i run the DCDIAG tool i get this message, " The procedure
entry
> point DsIsMangledDnW could not be located in the dynamic link library
> NTDSAPI.dll"

That implies that you are running the Win2000 version
with the wrong OS (maybe XP or Win2003) or maybe
an older version that was never updated with the
support tools service pack.

Install the Adminpak.msi from Win2003 OR XP systems
(not the Win2000 version.)

I would also be curious about your system time
settings since more than about 5 minutes can screw
up Kerberos authentication.

Also, you don't really specify what you mean by
"kicked off" or what specifically the symtomps are.

--
Herb Martin

> the server Event manager gives this message "regsitration of the DNS
record
> (long number) ._msdcs.dscole.com. 600 in CNAME server.dscole.com. Failed
with
> "DNS RR set that ought to exist, does not."
> Dont know if that helps at all but at least you know what i do.
>
> The Users computer gives this message "windows cannot obtain the domain
> controller name for your computer network"
>
> If anyone can help me at least get the DCDIAG tool to work i would greatly
> appreciate it. Thanks

In news:71C280DE-A4CE-4175-B69E-D01091D6EAC4@microsoft.com,
Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have a Specific problem with Xp machines on a 2000
> server domain, the Users with XP on there systems are
> being kicked off randomly during the day with error codes
> "ID 5774" and "source NetLogon" I have looked into this
> now to realize that its just a problem with the dymanic
> registration of the DNS record. The User then has to
> logoff and back on and its good for a while. I was told
> to use the DCDIAG.EXE diagnostic tool to tell me what is
> wrong with the Domain controller.
> PROBLEM when i run the DCDIAG tool i get this message, "
> The procedure entry point DsIsMangledDnW could not be
> located in the dynamic link library NTDSAPI.dll"
>
> the server Event manager gives this message "regsitration
> of the DNS record (long number) ._msdcs.dscole.com. 600
> in CNAME server.dscole.com. Failed with "DNS RR set that
> ought to exist, does not."
> Dont know if that helps at all but at least you know what
> i do.
>
> The Users computer gives this message "windows cannot
> obtain the domain controller name for your computer
> network"
>
> If anyone can help me at least get the DCDIAG tool to
> work i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

It sounds to me like you might have your ISP's DNS in TCP/IP properties
somewhere. Do not use your ISP's DNS or any other DNS except the DNS server
for the AD domain in any position on any interface of a member of an AD
domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]