Saving a file to my cd drive burner thing

ann

I need instructions on how to save a file to a cd. I alway indicate that I
want to it to be read and write. When I save it, it always comes out as a
read-only. What to do?

Go to a store and buy a third-party burning program such as
Roxio or Nero that can write to CD-RW disks. The XP burning
software is for CD-R only (but it will write in CD-R format
to a CD-RW disk).

"ann" <ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I need instructions on how to save a file to a cd. I
alway indicate that I
| want to it to be read and write. When I save it, it
always comes out as a
| read-only. What to do?

Ann,
To Expand on the earlier post:
The Windows XP CD Burning capibilities are not compatible with re-writeable
CD's. One solution you may want to try is buying 3rd Party CD Burning
software. Personally, I'd reommend Nero's products. Anyhow, Most CD Burning
suites come with a 'packett writing' program. Packett writing allows you
computer to use a CD-RW as if it were a floppy disk, but with a much larger
capcity (a little over 1 MB for a floppy verses 700 MB with a CD). One
example of this program would be Nero InCD.

Hope This Helps!

"ann" wrote:

> I need instructions on how to save a file to a cd. I alway indicate that I
> want to it to be read and write. When I save it, it always comes out as a
> read-only. What to do?

I also cannot save my files to a CD_RW. I just got the Windows XP program.
I was using ME and it worked fine. I can read most of the info on the CD,
but cannot save a changed version to it. (for instance, a Microsoft letter).
Thanks
Nejeunee

"ann" wrote:

> I need instructions on how to save a file to a cd. I alway indicate that I
> want to it to be read and write. When I save it, it always comes out as a
> read-only. What to do?

Gordon

Nejeunee wrote:
> I also cannot save my files to a CD_RW. I just got the Windows XP program.
> I was using ME and it worked fine. I can read most of the info on the CD,
> but cannot save a changed version to it. (for instance, a Microsoft letter).
> Thanks
> Nejeunee
>
> "ann" wrote:

Unless you have software installed (such as Nero InCD) to enable you to
format the CD RW for Packet writing, you can't. XP doesn't have that
capability natively. You must have had that sort of software on your ME
system.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk