Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DNS domain issues

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:43:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Hi all,

bit of a confusing one... I have a DNS server which hosts a zone
a.mycompany.com and on the DNS server - i have secondary zones for other
domains which need to be resolved (which dont share the namespace
mycompany.com)... despite these being on the DNS server...

The suffix given to the clients is a.mycompany.com and if I add secondary
suffixes on the client of the other domains - it works! and also if i ping
the full fqdn... - it works!

DNS server doesnt seem to be going down the zone files/... is there
something i need to put in zone a.mycompany,com?

Thanks,
-P

More about : dns domain issues

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:07:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

You have a DNS server. It hosts a.mycompany.com and, say, otherdomain.com.
Your clients have a.mycompany.com for their suffixes.

You have a record called xyz in a.mycompany.com and another record called
abc in otherdomain.com

You are expecting that if you ping xyz from a client, it should resolve to
xyz.a.mycompany.com. Your testing discovers that it does.
Now you are expecting that if you ping abc, it should resolve to
abc.othercompany.com. You are expecting this to happen because you have the
zone in your DNS server, but your testing shows that it does not?

If the above are correct, then you are looking at the "expected behavior".
This is a client side issue, and is resolved by doing what you've just
discovered - adding the appropriate suffixes to your clients. You can add
multiple suffixes automatically through the use of GPO (if all your clients
are XP or W2K3) or by script.

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
Yesterday? -anon
"Prits" <pinkyprits@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uD0EM7LJFHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> bit of a confusing one... I have a DNS server which hosts a zone
> a.mycompany.com and on the DNS server - i have secondary zones for other
> domains which need to be resolved (which dont share the namespace
> mycompany.com)... despite these being on the DNS server...
>
> The suffix given to the clients is a.mycompany.com and if I add secondary
> suffixes on the client of the other domains - it works! and also if i ping
> the full fqdn... - it works!
>
> DNS server doesnt seem to be going down the zone files/... is there
> something i need to put in zone a.mycompany,com?
>
> Thanks,
> -P
>
>
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:02:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:%23OfPV5RJFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Deji Akomolafe <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> made a post then I commented below
> You have a DNS server. It hosts a.mycompany.com and, say,
> otherdomain.com. Your clients have a.mycompany.com for their suffixes.
>
> You have a record called xyz in a.mycompany.com and another record
> called abc in otherdomain.com
>
> You are expecting that if you ping xyz from a client, it should
> resolve to xyz.a.mycompany.com. Your testing discovers that it does.
> Now you are expecting that if you ping abc, it should resolve to
> abc.othercompany.com. You are expecting this to happen because you
> have the zone in your DNS server, but your testing shows that it does
> not?
>
> If the above are correct, then you are looking at the "expected
> behavior". This is a client side issue, and is resolved by doing what
> you've just discovered - adding the appropriate suffixes to your
> clients. You can add multiple suffixes automatically through the use
> of GPO (if all your clients are XP or W2K3) or by script.
>

Deji, here's a repost of one of your own posts from Dec, 2003 with a script
you used to populate the Search Suffix, and an explanation... Remember this
one? :-)
----------------------------------------------------------------
I use a Machine Startup Script through GPO for this purpose. I apply the GPO
at the Domain Level so all my computers get it.

I use 2 files for the process - one .bat file and one .vbs file. The bat
file is the one that is specified in the GPO as the Startup script, and all
it does is call the .vbs file which does the DNS suffix configuration.

'This is the bat file
REM //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
@echo off
cscript %logonserver%\netlogon\addDNS-Suffix.vbs

:END
REM //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


'This is the .vbs file
'//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
On Error Resume Next

SET WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WSHShell.RegWrite
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\SearchList",
"FirstDomain.com,child.firstdomain.com,seconddomain.net,firstdomain.blah,oth
erdomain.local,etcdomain.etc", "REG_SZ"
SET WSHShell = Nothing
'//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Both files go into the the Netlogon share of one of your DCs. From here,
they will be copied over to the rest of your DCs.

HTH




--?
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================
Related resources
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:02:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Awesome, man :)  My reader couldn't go that far back. What do you use?

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
Yesterday? -anon
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:e6T%23Z5SJFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23OfPV5RJFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Deji Akomolafe <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> made a post then I commented
> below
>> You have a DNS server. It hosts a.mycompany.com and, say,
>> otherdomain.com. Your clients have a.mycompany.com for their suffixes.
>>
>> You have a record called xyz in a.mycompany.com and another record
>> called abc in otherdomain.com
>>
>> You are expecting that if you ping xyz from a client, it should
>> resolve to xyz.a.mycompany.com. Your testing discovers that it does.
>> Now you are expecting that if you ping abc, it should resolve to
>> abc.othercompany.com. You are expecting this to happen because you
>> have the zone in your DNS server, but your testing shows that it does
>> not?
>>
>> If the above are correct, then you are looking at the "expected
>> behavior". This is a client side issue, and is resolved by doing what
>> you've just discovered - adding the appropriate suffixes to your
>> clients. You can add multiple suffixes automatically through the use
>> of GPO (if all your clients are XP or W2K3) or by script.
>>
>
> Deji, here's a repost of one of your own posts from Dec, 2003 with a
> script
> you used to populate the Search Suffix, and an explanation... Remember
> this
> one? :-)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> I use a Machine Startup Script through GPO for this purpose. I apply the
> GPO
> at the Domain Level so all my computers get it.
>
> I use 2 files for the process - one .bat file and one .vbs file. The bat
> file is the one that is specified in the GPO as the Startup script, and
> all
> it does is call the .vbs file which does the DNS suffix configuration.
>
> 'This is the bat file
> REM //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> @echo off
> cscript %logonserver%\netlogon\addDNS-Suffix.vbs
>
> :END
> REM //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>
>
> 'This is the .vbs file
> '//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> On Error Resume Next
>
> SET WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> WSHShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\SearchList",
> "FirstDomain.com,child.firstdomain.com,seconddomain.net,firstdomain.blah,oth
> erdomain.local,etcdomain.etc", "REG_SZ"
> SET WSHShell = Nothing
> '//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>
> Both files go into the the Netlogon share of one of your DCs. From here,
> they will be copied over to the rest of your DCs.
>
> HTH
>
>
>
>
> --?
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
> so all can benefit.
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
> and confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
> =================================
>
>
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:57:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:%234$Ev8SJFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Deji Akomolafe <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> made a post then I commented below
> Awesome, man :)  My reader couldn't go that far back. What do you use?
>
>

Email archiving...
:-D

Ace
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Oh, THAT :)  That's too low-tech for me. LOL

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
Yesterday? -anon
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:erUn75eJFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:%234$Ev8SJFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Deji Akomolafe <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> made a post then I commented
> below
>> Awesome, man :)  My reader couldn't go that far back. What do you use?
>>
>>
>
> Email archiving...
> :-D
>
> Ace
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:05:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Deji Akomolafe wrote:
> Oh, THAT :)  That's too low-tech for me. LOL

LOL !
!