Corsair 2GB TwinX DDR2 8500C5 W/EPP
nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB
Western Digital 250GB 16MB Cache SATA 2 + 250GB WD External
Lite-On 16X Dual Layer DVD+-/RW
Sony 3.5in. Floppy-Black
Creative Labs X-Fi Sound card
Windowed Side Panel - Icon Case
Cold Cathode - Blue

I had a big chunk of change to spend, and was sick of building my own lackluster computers. So I bit the bullet and fufilled my dream of owning a Ferrari of the computer world.

Can't wait for the G80 and Vistas release to get some DX10 action in.

Any comments? Contructive criticisms? Please no flaming about buying a brand name custom rig.
66 answers Last reply
More about falcon northwest mach
  1. Nice, but I'd get a bigger power supply if you plan on going Quad SLI in the future.
  2. At least you went with falcon, ive heard they make the best computers.
    how much was it? like 8, 10k?
  3. I don't think I will be making the jump to quad SLI any time soon. I plan on getting a single Dx10 GPU or another gx2 style card when making the jump.

I just wish Dx10 was out now, but money isn't really a problem this time :D

Nah, my rig only cost me $5,700
  4. i want to see some Pics man !! PICS !!!!

i think im going to save up for one myself :D
  5. Build time ETA 3 weeks. After that I will gladly post pics.
  6. ohh. hope u enjoy your new rig man, Flacon NW is a Pc GOD
  7. I had a Falcon back in the Unreal/Quake 2 era. It was a beige beast that whooped all my friends pcs.

I went to building my own rigs for a few years and just got sick of it. So I decided to make the jump again. The day before I ordered it was like Christmas... I was so excited haha
  8. Good choice with Falcon. They're actually based in my hometown of Medford, Oregon. Hopefully one day I'll have the cash to spend on one and support the home team!
  9. I guess the premium price is worth it for some; having a blanket warranty would sure be convenient. Not to mention the professional cabling and paint jobs. I've seen some of the Falcon branded Silverstone cases; nice, but I prefer Voodoo PC's take on the Lian Li PC1000. BTW, why did you go with an external drive? Is it left over from a previous build? An internal would seem to be cheaper+faster.
  10. I got an internal with the system. And most of my docs and music etc are on my external i got kicking around. I picked it up to swap HDDs a couple months ago ... now it's just a back up.
  11. Wow, congratulations man. Enjoy it!
  12. Quote:

Only $5700... Is that like when the guy got caught with the neighbor lady and told her old man that they only did it 23 times last night?
  13. Nice rig!

Now, could you buy me one? :lol:
  14. Quote:
    Any comments? Contructive criticisms? Please no flaming about buying a brand name custom rig.

Should be a beauty. Any OC plans? I'm a little surprised you didn't go with a Raptor and/or Seagate Perp HD. The 7950 has many fans, but I would have gone with a 1900XT clocked to XTX. Have fun!
  15. By selecting the Icon Water Cooling Falcon states that they automatically OC. Assuming that the reason you buy a water cooling system means you want OC'ed performance.

I really wanted a Raptor... but considering the amount of space I need, I couldn't settle for a 150gb over the 250 I got.
  16. I don't think I could spend $5,700 on a PC without going completely outrageous like Quad SLI.
  17. Quote:
    By selecting the Icon Water Cooling Falcon states that they automatically OC. Assuming that the reason you buy a water cooling system means you want OC'ed performance.

Some folks do WC for the quiet. If I ever pop for a CPU like the X6800, for sure I'll OC. I'd expect it to OC quite well on air.

Quote:
    I really wanted a Raptor... but considering the amount of space I need, I couldn't settle for a 150gb over the 250 I got.

Well, decent performance HDs are dirt cheap, especially in comparison to the price you paid. Having a Raptor (or two in RAID0) for OS plus apps will give a performance boost, then you can do storage on something less expensive per GB.
  18. Quad SLI pretty much requires you to buy from a Custom company like Falcon. So far the technology has only been harnesed by them [custom companies] as I have been told.
  19. Quote:
    Quad SLI pretty much requires you to buy from a Custom company like Falcon. So far the technology has only been harnesed by them [custom companies] as I have been told.

Nope, the technology is not harnessed by them, just that Nvidia allow them to build Quad SLI, that's all. But recently, Nvidia release driver for DIY Quad SLI, so it's not exclusive to system builder anymore. Quad SLI sucks, at least for now anyways, Tom's do lots of review on that. If you dont have a 30" monitor from Apple or Dell, it's just a waste of money
  20. Quote:
    By selecting the Icon Water Cooling Falcon states that they automatically OC. Assuming that the reason you buy a water cooling system means you want OC'ed performance.

Some folks do WC for the quiet. If I ever pop for a CPU like the X6800, for sure I'll OC. I'd expect it to OC quite well on air.

Quote:

Well, decent performance HDs are dirt cheap, especially in comparison to the price you paid. Having a Raptor (or two in RAID0) for OS plus apps will give a performance boost, then you can do storage on something less expensive per GB.

Very true, have like two 150GB Raptor in RAID0 and one 750GB for storage (or more if you want to, because you have the cash)
  21. I'm going to be arranging Falcon to install my Dx10 card whenever I end up getting it (when it's released along with a new mobo possibly) so maybe then I will get a Raptor 150 or 2 of them. Who knows. Until then this system is a million times better than my current.

Right now I'm running a Amd 2200 with 1gb ddr ram 250gb+80gb nVidia 5900 :S
  22. Quote:
    Mach V:

ICON Aluminum Chassis
    Silverstone 600Watt Modular Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Asus P5N32-SLI Dlx. For SLI & Single GPU
    Intel Core 2 EXTREME X6800 2.93GHz
    Icon Watercooling Kit (Intel)
    Corsair 2GB TwinX DDR2 8500C5 W/EPP
    nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB
    Western Digital 250GB 16MB Cache SATA 2 + 250GB WD External
    Lite-On 16X Dual Layer DVD+-/RW
    Sony 3.5in. Floppy-Black
    Creative Labs X-Fi Sound card
    Windowed Side Panel - Icon Case
    Cold Cathode - Blue

I had a big chunk of change to spend, and was sick of building my own lackluster computers. So I bit the bullet and fufilled my dream of owning a Ferrari of the computer world.

Can't wait for the G80 and Vistas release to get some DX10 action in.

I too bought a Falcon Nothwest Mach V system in the past:

Hope you have better luck with them than I did when I bought mine a few years ago. It came in and booted up with problems and then after going over some stuff with their tech support (very good I might add) the thing only booted up at half speed I had to send it back to have it fixed.

Turns out they ended up building me a brand new rig (nice of them) (but they never told me what they were doing and they left me hanging with no knowlege over a long holiday weekend) which I had to wait another week+ for to get in and that system had been good but I've never been able to get the benchmarks that they say they got out of it and I've had overheating problems with it ever since I've owned it.

My overall experience with them is that I felt that I spent way too much money on a system that was no where near worth it!

I hope you have a better experience with them than I did but for that money You can build one youself and go somewhere and have some fun to.
  23. Nice system! Big chunk of change there. I would've selected Overdrive PC if I was going to spend $5,700. Could've got Quad-SLi with the X6800 at 3.76Ghz on air. I'm just pointing out specifics: Great system and have fun with it!

~Ibrahim~
  24. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

@ Alazeer

With my past system from Falcon I had no trouble at all. So I have a good feeling about this one.
  25. Quote:

$5,700 for $3,700 worth of computer. Congratulations!
  26. Doesn't bother me.
  27. Quote:

Enjoy the three to six weeks that it will be top of the line. Cry when in a year from now it is outperformed in every way by a machine that costs 1/5th of what yours did.

Deleted
  28. Quote:
    Doesn't bother me.

Moderator Edit - Delete
  29. You sound a little jealous. Why does it matter how much I spent on my computer? I'm happy with it... I didn't come here to have you all say how stupid I am for buying a quality computer. It's the difference in buying a Mustang and a Ferrari. I'm buying it because I have the extra money and I enjoy the quality. Sorry you're offended by my "gluttonous" waste of my own money, by the way I'm not American. Maybe you should get a better job so you can too waste money on something you spend 40hrs a week doing.

Some people undestand and some of you clearly don't. I except that but no need to personally attack me. It's not like I'm hurting you in anyway.
  30. Quote:
    You sound a little jealous. Why does it matter how much I spent on my computer? I'm happy with it... I didn't come here to have you all say how stupid I am for buying a quality computer. It's the difference in buying a Mustang and a Ferrari. I'm buying it because I have the extra money and I enjoy the quality. Sorry you're offended by my "gluttonous" waste of my own money, by the way I'm not American. Maybe you should get a better job so you can too waste money on something you spend 40hrs a week doing.

Some people undestand and some of you clearly don't. I except that but no need to personally attack me. It's not like I'm hurting you in anyway.

That you would post about your $6k indiscretion on a "GENERAL HOMEBUILT" forum suggests that you either lack basic reading comprehension or are simply an arrogant show-off.

I guess the latter.
  31. Hey I guess you also didn't read that it is also for Custom PCs... and believe it or not Falcon Northwest makes Custom PCs. DUH

Where would I put this then huh? Under Dell maybe? or how about HP because you know my computer is such a retail Best Buy configured PC.

Face it, Falcon isn't a huge factory... they build the computer to suit your needs... It's not just some OEM trash thrown together. It's a computer made customly for you. Grow up.
  32. Did you get one of their killer paint jobs on the case?
  33. I wish, but I couldn't convince my girlfriend I needed to spend an extra $1000 on a nice paint job. As it stands it's a nice auto paint job in the form of Brushed Alluminum. Still fantastic looking... but not entirley customized.
  34. What color is the paint?
  35. Brushed Alluminum
  36. Quote:

Only $5700... Is that like when the guy got caught with the neighbor lady and told her old man that they only did it 23 times last night?

Haha.

It's good for some innt.
  37. Anyways towely, I didn't come here to be flamed. I came here and posted because there is no other place for me to post about how excited I am for my custom built falcon pc.

I thought maybe people in a forum dedicated to awesome gaming rigs would be understanding and maybe be open to some real discussion and not flame. But I guess I was wrong... maybe a forum about killer rigs isn't the right place to post my custom falcon... maybe because it isn't made by my hands makes it a bastard child? I dunno... but obviously you have some hostility towards me because of my system, I really can't understand why though.

You seem to be one of the only people who is offended by me posting in here and by the fact I spent alot of money on a rig. Sorry if I offended you in anyway... you need to excuse my bragging. To me right now it feels like I purchased a shiny new Ferrari and have in parked in my drive way to show it off. Of course there will be people who are angered and offended by it... but it's my baby and I'm proud of it.
  38. Quote:
    Doesn't bother me.

You are a pathetic excuse for a human being.

My, My - aren't we a little harsh. - What he does with his money -
    is his buisness. Plus - the anti-american remark - when he's not
    from the US - made you look like a jealous fool.
    Go Canada? - You're american to me.

What country are u from?

I understand some of your thoughts, as far as home builds go.
    But, these type of custom builds still have place in the forums.
    Since, these do push the limit in a safe (warranty still good) manner.
    In fact, overdrive PC, tries to tell its customers not to release
    its overclocking techniques.
  39. Quote:
    It's a computer made customly for you. Grow up.

Edit - Delete
  40. Quote:
    Doesn't bother me.

You are a pathetic excuse for a human being.

My, My - aren't we a little harsh. - What he does with his money -
    is his buisness. Plus - the anti-american remark - when he's not
    from the US - made you look like a jealous fool.
    Go Canada? - You're american to me.

What country are u from?

While there are children dying of AIDS in Africa, this SOB spends six thousand dollars on a calculator.
  41. Excuse me? How do you know I don't donate money to Charity? Huh? Who are you to analyze me and my spending? I donate to Green Peace and Peta but nooooo, I'm an ass automatically because I play video games on an expensive computer... If my computer pisses you off so much why keep talking about it. Just stay away from the topic maybe... Moron.
  42. Hmm...I don't mean to flame like this, I certainly didn't want to, but when you bring up something like AIDS, I have no choice.

Who the he!! are you to tell someone what they do with their money? I have an idea, why don't you quit wasting your ISPs bandwidth and spend that money on whatever cause suits you? (See? It is not your place to tell someone what they do with their hard-earned money.)

Yes, it might have been excessive and the money could have been better spent, but I am not one to judge and neither are you. If you said that in a better manner, I might not have responded, but when you say it like that....

If you care about AIDs, I recommend you join one.org, a great program that has been created to inform people about AIDs and poverty and what they can do about it.

~Ibrahim~
  43. I also donate money to Women with Breast Cancer who can't afford therapy and medications. In fact right now I'm wearing a shirt that I purchased that 100% of the profits went to said organization... Again... who are you to judge me? Do you donate money or volunteer to some non profit cause?

BTW Thanks for the link to one.org, I'm going to look into the organization and see how I can help.
  44. Welcome. And spread the news!

~Ibrahim~
  45. A bit defensive are we?

Quote:
    I donate to... Peta

I rest my case.
  46. Why don't you just leave towely? If you are so elite and so much better than me... why are you here arguing?

How old are you? Are you a child or an old man, because you are not acting like an adult at all.
  47. Quote:
    A bit defensive are we?

A bit judgmental, are we?

~Ibrahim~
  48. Quote:
    Why don't you just leave towely? If you are so elite and so much better than me... why are you here arguing?

How old are you? Are you a child or an old man, because you are not acting like an adult at all.

You're a disgrace to Canada.
  49. Quote:
    A bit defensive are we?

A bit judgmental, are we?

~Ibrahim~

Deleted by Moderator
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems