hp LaserJet II paper feed problem

Our printer has a new feed (pickup?) roller which seems to work fine but
there is still a feed problem.

The first sheet in the tray feeds, prints, and exits OK but there is a
groaning sound as the sheet first feeds. The second sheet travels about 3
inches and then I get the "paper jam" message. I remove the tray and the
sheet stays in the printer. I pull it back out from the front. The sheet is
never crumpled.

I can print another page by inserting the tray.

This fault is competely repeatable.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

John Knowles
Montreal
5 answers Last reply
More about laserjet paper feed problem

    I just checked and I was wrong about the amount the second sheet travels
    into the printer before stopping. I measured and it is 1 5/8 inch (1.625") I
    also failed to mention that I have to open the top of the printer to clear
    the "paper jam" message.

    It is interesting that I have to remove and reinsert the tray in order to
    print a page. If I remove the "jammed sheet from inside the printer by
    pulling it out in the direction of the paper path and then try to print the
    next sheet in the tray it will not feed.

    On 10-Jul-2005, "John Knowles" <john.knowles@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > The first sheet in the tray feeds, prints, and exits OK but there is a
    > groaning sound as the sheet first feeds. The second sheet travels about 3
    > inches and then I get the "paper jam" message. I remove the tray and the
    > sheet stays in the printer. I pull it back out from the front. The sheet is
    > never crumpled.

    Is there a short curved guide to straighten the leading edge of the paper
    stack? Attached to a lever, pivot, and spring assy. Going up and down
    if you work the bottom plate of the paper stack up and down?

    John Knowles wrote:
    > Our printer has a new feed (pickup?) roller which seems to work fine but
    > there is still a feed problem.
    >
    > The first sheet in the tray feeds, prints, and exits OK but there is a
    > groaning sound as the sheet first feeds. The second sheet travels about 3
    > inches and then I get the "paper jam" message. I remove the tray and the
    > sheet stays in the printer. I pull it back out from the front. The sheet is
    > never crumpled.
    >
    > I can print another page by inserting the tray.
    >
    > This fault is competely repeatable.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance
    >
    > John Knowles
    > Montreal

    There is a cork paper separation pad which would rub against the pickup
    roller, if paper weren't present.

    It is standard to replace this pad whenever the roller is replaced.

    Many of the new pickup rollers are inferior to the originals, now no
    longer available. At least, that is what I have read, and it confirms
    the experience Ihad with some non-original new pickup rollers.

    You may be able to recondition the paper separation pad.....

    Use solvent to free it from the holder (after removing the pad and
    holder from the printer).

    Clean the adhesive surface well.

    Put thin paper shims under the pad (adhesive) and place the refurbished
    pad, cleaned side up, onto the shims (adhesive). Replace into the printer.

    An awful lot of work..... so I only did it when I abolutely had to make
    some prints while waiting for the new pads on order.

    Or just buy a new pad or two.

    My guess is the paper pick up roller is glazed and the paper is
    slipping. But it may be that the pick up roller is not returning to the
    proper position. Some laser printers have a roller with a flat side at
    one locale so it doesn't pick up paper at certain points in it's
    rotation. If it is not turning to the point where the surface is
    rounded, it won't contact the paper and cannot move it forward.

    Art

    John Knowles wrote:

    > Our printer has a new feed (pickup?) roller which seems to work fine but
    > there is still a feed problem.
    >
    > The first sheet in the tray feeds, prints, and exits OK but there is a
    > groaning sound as the sheet first feeds. The second sheet travels about 3
    > inches and then I get the "paper jam" message. I remove the tray and the
    > sheet stays in the printer. I pull it back out from the front. The sheet is
    > never crumpled.
    >
    > I can print another page by inserting the tray.
    >
    > This fault is competely repeatable.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance
    >
    > John Knowles
    > Montreal

    The pickup device is like a thick rubber band on a cam. I have had some
    luck with sliding the gray rubber on the cam so the worn part is no
    longer at the location where it contacts the paper. I have also found
    that rolling the rubber off the cam and sliding it back on inside out
    it will work also.

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals